NES default font

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Rinnegatamante, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Rinnegatamante
    OP

Rinnegatamante GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 24, 2014
    Italy
    Bologna
    Hi everyone, i'm coding a DuckHunt clone for 3DS but i hadn't found on web a TTF version of default NES font (i only found a FON version but when i try to convert it to TTF with different Font converters i get a damaged font). Has someone a TTF version of it?

For default font i say the one used in every NES game for Game Type selection:
    [​IMG]

2. titegtnodI

titegtnodI Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2014
    Canada
    It's probably relatively trivial for you to make your own. I don't know of a ttf one, to make a bitmap one would probably take less than 30mins though.

3. Psi-hate

Psi-hate GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater

Dec 14, 2014
    United States
    Houston
    There's a lot of fonts that kind of replicate the NES font if you're down for that path.

4. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    You can also open any of the launch title NES games with a basic rom graphic editor, such as YY-CHR, Tile Molester, Tile Layer Pro, etc., and copy the game font that way. Create your own font from it :) Remember all spacing is generic 8x8 tiles, as a majority of NES games didn't use a variable width font.

5. Megaman511again

Megaman511again Member

Newcomer
    Nov 2, 2013
    United States
    There's one called "Press Start 2P" if that'll help.

Rinnegatamante likes this.
  6. Myria

Myria GBAtemp Fan

Jul 24, 2014
    United States
    Note that the NES didn't have a "default font": there just was a font that a bunch of English-language NES games happened to use (likewise Japanese Famicom games). The fonts always came from the games themselves. If I recall correctly, the first Nintendo system that had fonts inside the system itself was the GameCube--this was for Japanese, though. I know for sure, though, that the PlayStation 1 had a Japanese font in its BIOS for games to use to avoid using precious memory to store them.