Homebrew WIP Nes Classic Edition

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
random link, no information except a picture, and everyone run the file ?
guess people like living dangerously :P

is it a new homebrew, a rename, a continuation of samthebreadman's version, a fork ?
I'd like to know how to categorize this thread (release or not, etc.)
Nand backup as always, IDA PRO the neros, to see if theres something bad AS FIRST LOOK, if not, then run it, else, wait.

NEOGEOKAI

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Colombia

is it a new homebrew, a rename, a continuation of samthebreadman's version, a fork ?

I do not leave a direct link on the page because I always they eliminate them from the posts and I do not know what kind of information you want or what description you want me to write. I only share a nes emulator. I do not see what the problem is and if it was a virus or something bad You would report it, do not you think?

Last edited by NEOGEOKAI,

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok here's the info i can provide upon testing it:
Its pretty much a launcher interface that boots nestopia core on retroarch.

Its pretty kewl and it does the job, of selecting a rom and launching however, keep in mind that:
You cant post direct links to the app here, due to the .zip file contains roms, I can suggest you to remove the roms from the .zip file, and you can easily tell people how to add them, i mean, they are pretty much read form a .json file.

They are read from the folder as this:
Code:
    {
       "filename": "balloonFight", //Rom Name on rom folder
       "title": "Balloon Fight", // Tittle on Launcher
       "numberOfPlayers": 3 // Players on Launcher
   }

Other edits can be done using the layout.json:

Code:
{
   "carXPos": -1024,
   "carXPosInd": -5,
   "carFirGamInd": 3,
   "carLasGamInd": 2,
   "carGamXPosArr": [7683, 7939, 8195, 771, 1027, 1283, 1539, 1795, 2051, 2307, 2563, 2819, 3075, 3331, 3587, 3843, 4099, 4355, 4611, 4867, 5123, 5379, 5635, 5891, 6147, 6403, 6659, 6915, 7171, 7427],
   "curXPos": 642,
   "curXPosInd": 2
}

Which is also self explanatory.

@NEOGEOKAI Sharing the source code will be great, so we can easily edit the resources and mod it to launch a snes profile / among several others, i have done that using the EmulationStation and created several profiles, would be easy to port once the source is included C:[/CODE]

Last edited by ScarletDreamz,
Reactions: Cyan and XC-3730C

samthebreadman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok here's the info i can provide upon testing it:
Its pretty much a launcher interface that boots nestopia core on retroarch.

Its pretty kewl and it does the job, of selecting a rom and launching however, keep in mind that:
You cant post direct links to the app here, due to the .zip file contains roms, I can suggest you to remove the roms from the .zip file, and you can easily tell people how to add them, i mean, they are pretty much read form a .json file.

They are read from the folder as this:
Code:
    {
       "filename": "balloonFight", //Rom Name on rom folder
       "title": "Balloon Fight", // Tittle on Launcher
       "numberOfPlayers": 3 // Players on Launcher
   }

Other edits can be done using the layout.json:

Code:
{
   "carXPos": -1024,
   "carXPosInd": -5,
   "carFirGamInd": 3,
   "carLasGamInd": 2,
   "carGamXPosArr": [7683, 7939, 8195, 771, 1027, 1283, 1539, 1795, 2051, 2307, 2563, 2819, 3075, 3331, 3587, 3843, 4099, 4355, 4611, 4867, 5123, 5379, 5635, 5891, 6147, 6403, 6659, 6915, 7171, 7427],
   "curXPos": 642,
   "curXPosInd": 2
}

Which is also self explanatory.

@NEOGEOKAI Sharing the source code will be great, so we can easily edit the resources and mod it to launch a snes profile / among several others, i have done that using the EmulationStation and created several profiles, would be easy to port once the source is included C:[/CODE]

He doesn't have the source code. I do, being the one that made it.

I'm amused my work is being spread around as of lately. Dont worry, guys, I wont abandon this project.

Going to add suspend points in the near future... :-)

Last edited by samthebreadman,

XC-3730C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Samthebreadman,

Your work appreciated! I hope you can make it to where this could be a frontend for other emulator systems...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

shanefromoz

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

I ran it mate. Works perfect

samthebreadman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I actually never got around to open sourcing it. I'll pick back up on this project once the semester is over.

Heck, I'll even reopen that discord I shut down due to being too busy.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually never got around to open sourcing it. I'll pick back up on this project once the semester is over.

Heck, I'll even reopen that discord I shut down due to being too busy.
Do you mind sharing the source?

The Peek/Pook i did, shows that the Clover app is the custom one, as it redirects the rom to the respective core, in this case, laines.nro, which is just nestopia core in disguise.

I have experience in Theme Editing, I Could Help polishing the interface. or at least to just take a look at the source C:

shanefromoz

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Do you mind sharing the source?

The Peek/Pook i did, shows that the Clover app is the custom one, as it redirects the rom to the respective core, in this case, laines.nro, which is just nestopia core in disguise.

I have experience in Theme Editing, I Could Help polishing the interface. or at least to just take a look at the source C:
Message NEOGEOKAI

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you for your information.
so, neogeokai just shared the available version of samthebreadman's project?
So, I won't mark it as a new project. We have 3 different thread for the same project now. not easy to follow, right?

neogeokai: I wasn't against you posting the link without explanation, but the fact that people just ran the homebrew without testing first.
You might be aware, lot of people had their console bricked by running a fake copy of pokémon, but it was a switch virus. we warned people to be careful and not run things without proper information, or proper brick protection (full nand copy).

Of course, direct linking would have been deleted if it contained ROMs. link to chat app is questionable.

I know the purpose is to get the same look than the Mini consoles, but I'm not sure if nintendo would allow using their interface assets. I already said it in the other thread, If you could make your own, and/or allow people to theme it (so they can theme with the original interface, not being part of the official release) that would be great. At least, don't use the original pictures, make your own which look alike, don't just extract the exact binary from mini's firmwares.
That's just a suggestion, but I'm thinking about the project's future and prevent any c&d letters due to using their binaries.

I hope ScarletDreamz you'll be able to work with Sam to improve this launcher :)
working together could be nice.

I have some question about the json:
Is it always necessary to add the ROM manually in the json? Can't it just list the roms found in a folder and display them automatically in the interface?
At worse, it would not have a nice title, and no player information, but it could list the game using its filenames, right?

allowing different emulators would be nice too, in case a game work better on a different one.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Mambila2001

Rickastillo

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
i would like a better "exit game" UI, maybe filters ( like CRT) and rewind option, and would be a "must have" for us retro gamers with switch (even for raspberries). i loved the box art display. and maybe something alike for snes ROMS, nice work, keep it coming!

Reactions: XC-3730C

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for your information.
so, neogeokai just shared the available version of samthebreadman's project?
So, I won't mark it as a new project. We have 3 different thread for the same project now. not easy to follow, right?

neogeokai: I wasn't against you posting the link without explanation, but the fact that people just ran the homebrew without testing first.
You might be aware, lot of people had their console bricked by running a fake copy of pokémon, but it was a switch virus. we warned people to be careful and not run things without proper information, or proper brick protection (full nand copy).

Of course, direct linking would have been deleted if it contained ROMs. link to chat app is questionable.

I know the purpose is to get the same look than the Mini consoles, but I'm not sure if nintendo would allow using their interface assets. I already said it in the other thread, If you could make your own, and/or allow people to theme it (so they can theme with the original interface, not being part of the official release) that would be great. At least, don't use the original pictures, make your own which look alike, don't just extract the exact binary from mini's firmwares.
That's just a suggestion, but I'm thinking about the project's future and prevent any c&d letters due to using their binaries.

I hope ScarletDreamz you'll be able to work with Sam to improve this launcher :)
working together could be nice.

I have some question about the json:
Is it always necessary to add the ROM manually in the json? Can't it just list the roms found in a folder and display them automatically in the interface?
At worse, it would not have a nice title, and no player information, but it could list the game using its filenames, right?

allowing different emulators would be nice too, in case a game work better on a different one.

I could write a small program, for PC, that reads the rom on a folder, and create the json format.

But still i would like to take a peek at the source, if not thats ok, i can still write the program later.

Bigjokker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could write a small program, for PC, that reads the rom on a folder, and create the json format.

But still i would like to take a peek at the source, if not thats ok, i can still write the program later.

@Cyan I've been using this Build_data_json.bat I made to build a data.json file. It also makes another copy of the roms and removes there spaces. NES Classic uses roms without spaces.

Only thing it does not do is change the number of players. That stays at 1. You will have to change it manually if you want to.

Just put the "Build_data_json.bat" in your NES rom folder and double click. It will create a roms folder and a data.json file.

**UPDATE** Added Boxart and Thumbnail Resizer:

Download JPG Boxart covers of your ROMS. **NOTE Make sure boxart height is bigger than width (ex. 330x550). Place Boxart JPGs in folder and double click "nconvert_Resize_JPG_Boxart.bat".

It will resize file, convert it to PNG, and move them to boxart and thumbnail folders. **NOTE** Names of boxart and thumbnail must be the same as rom name with no spaces also.

**UPDATED to v3** Fixed bug that added extra brackets to data.json

Attachments

• NES Classic Tool set v3.rar
    953 KB · Views: 265
Last edited by Bigjokker,

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Cyan I've been using this Build_data_json.bat I made to build a data.json file. It also makes another copy of the roms and removes there spaces. NES Classic uses roms without spaces.

Only thing it does not do is change the number of players. That stays at 1. You will have to change it manually if you want to.

Just put the "Build_data_json.bat" in your NES rom folder and double click. It will create a roms folder and a data.json file.

**UPDATE** Added Boxart and Thumbnail Resizer:

Download JPG Boxart covers of your ROMS. **NOTE Make sure boxart height is bigger than width (ex. 330x550). Place Boxart JPGs in folder and double click "nconvert_Resize_JPG_Boxart.bat".

It will resize file, convert it to PNG, and move them to boxart and thumbnail folders. **NOTE** Names of boxart and thumbnail must be the same as rom name with no spaces also.
Kewl, I made a small c# program, if people still want it, i could upload it. Still, this guy does not want to give the source. so sadly is still a closed source program.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on