Homebrew Neo Geo Emulator

ThaKillerKlown

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have all of the bios files installed, the games ect in the correct folders. I click it, it loads, says press one or two to load rom and then it code dumps... Any ideas?

trogoldito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The program is not compatible with SDHC cards, so that might be your problem. I know that was mine, took me several hours of wasted time to figure that one out. Also, I hear that the compressed games cannot be .rom they must be .bin. I could'nt verify this because I only have an SDHC now.

I really hope someone is still working on this emulator, I would love to play Neo Geo games on my Wii without the 2gb SD card restriction. Imagine Neo Geo CD on the Wii one day, that would be incredible.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
There is already a NeoGeo CD emulator, it is called neocdredux but is only working in GC mode

It could probably be recompiled to work in Wii mode, assuming you add support for the usual WPAD stuff and modify the SD access code... apart of that, there is no differences, quite weird that nobody never tried...

trogoldito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From reading some of the posts in that link it looks like the Neo Geo CD would be easier to do on the Wii than the Neo Geo cartridges. The Neo Geo CD loads only portions of the game into ram at a time whereas the Neo Geo cartridges must be fully loaded into ram. This is the main problem with the current Wii emulator, it cannot load large roms.

mikejacobs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
wii has a bigger ram than psp, doesn't it?
psp can emulate neogeo games perfectly.. runs at full speed... i play it everyday..

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
nobody said it was not possible, just that it requires a motivated and capable developper to do it.... ROM size does matter, neogeo ROMS do no fit in RAM and emulators have to read chunks of the ROM from SD during execution. This requires an optimized ROM paging mechanism which was not obviosuly required or implemented in the original code (PC emulators can rely on more RAM than they need). This is what the PSP emulator is doing and obviously was not coded in one day...

ABout NeogeoCd, I tried yesterday to port the redux neocd emulator to the Wii but it didn't work well: I could navigate the menu using wii controllers and it detects & boots the BIOS from SD but then seems to hang in a loop as if the game datas could not be read from SD..

I guess it is not as easy as I first thought, hence why nobody attempted it yet

failed attempt

rustybanana

Trophies
XP
Country
I too would love to see the neogeo emulated properly on the Wii, If only for the metal slug games alone! Nice 1 Jacobeian for having a pop at it and shame it didnt work out
frown.gif

rustybanana

Trophies
XP
Country
kevenz said:
maybe someone can just add sdhc support (recompiling with lastest libogc) to gxgeo?

To achieve what exactly? Its not the storage that is the problem, Its the wii's ram thats the issue.

Think about it, Wii running its own os then on top of that an emulator which in turn is trying to load a pretty big rom file! Its gonna take some major optimisation to get it running. It would probably need to use some kind of buffer file much in the same way the psp cps2 emulator works.

Far from impossible but its gonna take quite a bit of work!
wink2.gif

jservs7

Witcher of Whores
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rustybanana said:
kevenz said:
maybe someone can just add sdhc support (recompiling with lastest libogc) to gxgeo?

To achieve what exactly? Its not the storage that is the problem, Its the wii's ram thats the issue.

Think about it, Wii running its own os then on top of that an emulator which in turn is trying to load a pretty big rom file! Its gonna take some major optimisation to get it running. It would probably need to use some kind of buffer file much in the same way the psp cps2 emulator works.

Far from impossible but its gonna take quite a bit of work!
wink2.gif
I get your point rusty, but a recompile of the last GxGeo wouldn't be so bad since it did support some Neo Geo roms.
smile.gif

kevenz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
because adding sdhc actually takes like 2minutes to do....... when you have the source of course, at least I could play the smaler games without changing sd card all the time
tongue.gif

I know someone who is (was) working on FBA for wii..... but I'm not sure if he care anymore.

FBA > Gxgeo.

http://code.google.com/p/fbagx/

ginosis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
HI

i have a question:

I can play my neogeo emulator with my Proflash 4GIG but

neogeo not work with my Sandisk 16GIG!!!???

there is the SDHC support yet for GXGEO!!?

Thats a cool emulator but it SHOULD work on SDHC :-)

thanks! ginosis

psiko

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.withlogic.com
XP
Country
United States
@ginosis

The emulator, Gxgeo, doesn't support SDHC at this moment.

Just be patient, like everyone has pointed out, the PSP-Phat (PSP-1000) could run NeoGeo games really without too much of a problem. It just takes clever programming and a dedicated programmer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.