Needing help before buying a GPD Win

Discussion in 'Other Handhelds' started by Rick Astley, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Rick Astley
    OP

Rick Astley The real one !

Apr 1, 2015
    Hello !

So I tell first, i'm gonna be annonying. A LOT. Here's my case. I'm a Pokémon players who puts things faaaaaaaaar. I'm an RNG Abuse guy on Emulator and everything, and these past months, my goal is to replay every Pokemon game, with RNG teams etc in order to have base save to play with them in the future. I've thought about everything, I set up a cloud thing (thanks One Drive) in order to put my save in ONE place and be able to play on any computer / PC but there's something that annoys me. I can't play / RNG where I want, when I want.

I've thought of injecting my saves into my REAL cartridges, play with them and doing RNG on the emulators, before re-injecting again. But quite boring.

And I've thought : the GPD Win is here for that haha. Really small (more than a hybrid thing) and like a REAL handheld, so perfect.

To do simple, I do RNG stuff with Lua scripts (so VBA rr + Desmume) but i'm not sure IF the GPD Win has the power to emulate everything correctly with ALL the tools needed for Gen 3/4/5. So I really would like to know if somebody could help me to check how it runs before buying one. Maybe i'm asking for too much but i'd like to be SURE before spending €300 you see

I CAN have access to a hybrid thing, maybe i could try on it, telling the specs of it and helping me to compare ?

Thank you so much

2. jastolze

jastolze GBAtemp Fan

May 2, 2012
    United States
    Nds emulation is for some reason non existent (in terms of a good emulator that is) Drastic doesn't have a Windows port. I looked into a decent NDS emulator but couldn't find one.

Also if you're planning on using the physical gaming controls on the win you should use XPadder. It makes them compatible with virually all apps

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Personally I like No$GBA, because it's fast, but there's no question that Desmume has much better compatibility.
    GPD Win is using an Atom. So if that "hybrid thing" is also using an Atom and the games run properly on that they should run on the GPD Win as well. Later Atoms (with some exceptions) are all pretty similar so it doesn't have to be the exact same model.
    I don't have one to test, but I think it will work just fine. GBA is not a particularly hard system to emulate and the GPD Win even runs many games in Dolphin perfectly so NDS should work fine too.
    You may even be able to run Citra on it.

4. jastolze

jastolze GBAtemp Fan

May 2, 2012
    United States
    Citra works. Oddly enough, with the most recent version Sun and Moon run much faster than OR AS do. OR and AS are SO slow though...

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    So I guess they did optimize Sun/Moon. Yet for some reason they still didn't add 3D.

6. Rick Astley
    OP

Rick Astley The real one !

Apr 1, 2015
    Hey
    so for an update

Desmume RIGHTLY configured (that's the thing 90% of people are not able to do) runs without any lag, with any game, and support fastforward without ANY PROBLEM (from what i've seen it's a x4 speed).

All my tests were 100% good.

Thanks all o

7. Felek666

Felek666 Demonically Uncontrollable

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    I prefer melonDS but it has bad compatibility with games.
    Also, can you post how you configured it?