Hardware Need to format SD card?

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an 8 GB SDHC and it works fine in my 3DS, but when put into my computer, I get an error that says it needs formatted, so it won't open. Yet, when I put it back in my 3DS, it works stupendously. Anybody know what the problem might be? I've been searching, but can't really find much about it...

Satirical

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
AaronUzumaki said:
I have an 8 GB SDHC and it works fine in my 3DS, but when put into my computer, I get an error that says it needs formatted, so it won't open. Yet, when I put it back in my 3DS, it works stupendously. Anybody know what the problem might be? I've been searching, but can't really find much about it...

It could be a problem with the hardware you're using to connect it to your PC, like a SD-USB converter that isn't too good.

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Satirical said:
AaronUzumaki said:

It could be a problem with the hardware you're using to connect it to your PC, like a SD-USB converter that isn't too good.
It is the built-in reader. It reads everything else.

Jugarina

Trophies
Website
youngevity.com
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like It has something to do with how the file system was formatted, like in NTSC, FAT, FAT32. Maybe the 3DS can read the file system but your computer can't...

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know my computer can read NTFS, exFAT, FAT16, and FAT32. What format could it possibly be? (I used another computer that read it fine to put the files on it from the default 2 GB.)

bahamut920

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AaronUzumaki said:
I know my computer can read NTFS, exFAT, FAT16, and FAT32. What format could it possibly be? (I used another computer that read it fine to put the files on it from the default 2 GB.)
Sometimes there are... quirks in individual pieces of hardware that can prevent one device from reading external media formatted in a file system the system should normally be able to read. It used to happen all the time with floppy disks. I think it has to do with the error tolerance of the hardware. Try putting the card back into the computer that can read it, back up your files, then allow the computer you want to be able to read it to format the card. Then, before you replace the backup files, test the card in your 3DS to see if your 3DS will read it after the format (if it doesn't, you'll have to reformat the card; no sense wasting time copying stuff you'll just have to re-copy later). Most likely, this will work, and your other hardware should be able to read the card after the format. Now, you copy your backed-up data back to the SD card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @AncientBoi I am really sorry for your loss +2