Nocturnius

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok. I used to not like tactical rpg games back when i was younger. Now though I have been taking a liking for it. I have Played Games like Luminous Arc 1 and 2, Disgaea, Summon Night, Final Fantasy Tactics. I love those games I have Just Mention. Can you guys help me get into Tactical rpg games more by recommending me some other tactical games I have not played yet? It will help tons! I'm new to this genre of gaming since I have avoided it before. Which was a big mistake for me lol. Hope you guys can name some titles you like and think I will be interested in. Thanks!! sorry if My writing seems so weird and crazy lol. Really tired and sleepy here..
yaynds.gif

Louisiana

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Fire Emblem games are pretty much the greatest tactical RPG games there are. That said, you should ignore the DS version (reason: it's ugly) and stick with the GBA ones. Two of them (Fire Emblem: the Sacred Stones and plain Fire Emblem) were officially localized and there's a translation patch for the other one.There's also Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, both of which are in English for the Gamecube and the Wii respectively.

Louisiana

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There are Fire Emblems for the Famicom and Super Famicom (none of which have been nicely translated), a game called Tear Ring Saga for the Playstation (it was made by the Original Fire Emblem Guy, and is better then all of the other Fire Emblem games combined (from what I've heard)) and a PS2 sequel to Tear Ring Saga called Berwick Saga (also in Japanese(more impotantly, not in English)).

Rod

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Like they said, Fire Emblem is the way to go.

I wasn't too fond of the DS version of the game, though. If you can also give it a shot, I'd highly recommend GameCube's Path of Radiance!

Nocturnius

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info on fire emblem. I think I have one for the gba one Somewhere. I will look for it and give it a shot. I guess it was a good idea to keep my ps2 and gamecube instead of trading it in lol. Now I just need to buy the games and i'm set
biggrin.gif

Nocturnius

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i didn't like the gba versions of advance wars when they came out back then. Are the DS ones any better? Story wise how is it also? I can't play a game if it doesn't have a good story lol.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
endwar and advance wars is strategy, not tactical RPG.

That said, other than FFTA, I can't think of any other one, except maybe Luminous Arc.

Also, Heroes of Mana isn't a tactical RPG, it's more to strategy, as I don't recall they have levels, battle units are made fresh with each battle

Nocturnius

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Raestloz said:
endwar and advance wars is strategy, not tactical RPG.

That said, other than FFTA, I can't think of any other one, except maybe Luminous Arc.

Also, Heroes of Mana isn't a tactical RPG, it's more to strategy, as I don't recall they have levels, battle units are made fresh with each battle

Started playing Heroes of Mana and Your right Its more of a RTS game. Still I think its considered a RTS RPG game. Not exactly what I was looking for but so far its pretty good :].
FFTA was good Awesome game. Currently Playing Luminous Arc 2. I like part one more due to it feeling more as a fantasy book story wise. While Luminous Arc 2 feels more like an anime. which is not bad but Perhaps i am still stuck liking Part 1 lol

Louisiana

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't like FFTA. There's no challenge, all the characters except for the main ones have no personality. The only things I like about it are music and story.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Of course, if all the caharcters have personality, then all of them would be main characters, the same thing happened to ALL tactical games, Age of Empires, Command & Conquer, Final Fantasy Tactics, Empire Earth, Warcraft III, Heroes of Mana, Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings, all of those examples got personality only at the main characters, imagine playing Heroes of Mana with ALL your shrooms got unique personalities. Helper units should have blank personality, otherwise, they're not helper anymore

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
+1 for the Fire Emblem games. The gba ones that is

And yes, try the original Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Its REALLY good. And the second one (on DS) is pretty darn entertaining as well

just make SURE you put the difficulty on hard. Trust me, playing it on easy gets shit mid game.

Louisiana

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Raestloz said:
Of course, if all the caharcters have personality, then all of them would be main characters, the same thing happened to ALL tactical games, Age of Empires, Command & Conquer, Final Fantasy Tactics, Empire Earth, Warcraft III, Heroes of Mana, Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings, all of those examples got personality only at the main characters, imagine playing Heroes of Mana with ALL your shrooms got unique personalities. Helper units should have blank personality, otherwise, they're not helper anymore

Naw, ain't like that in Fire Emblem! Each unit is unique. They all have their own faces, names, personalities, abilities. Not like in Final Fantasy Tactics. I can get like twelve guys that look identical and do almost the same thing and never speak a word.

Their situation is not helped by the fact that when they die I can simply revive them.

I have not played any real-time strategy games except a Total Annihilation demo. The lack of unit characterization doesn't bother me much since the units are faceless robots and tanks.

Even then, the fact that they can't be revived makes them more likable than the Final Fantasy Tactics guys.

The story in Fire Emblem is kind of plain (evil empire, assasins, bad dudes plotting bad things), but it when characters die it works because you've seen actual (simulated) death. The best example I can think of right now is when ~spoiler Jaffar kills Leila~. They use the regular attack animations and everything. Not like in the Final Fantasy games. Why can't we just use a phoenix down or cast life on you-know-who-dies-in-Final-Fantasy-VII?

I've been replaying the GBA Fire Emblem games, and I've resolved not to reset at all. It's intense.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended