Hacking Need some help please

NarutoSasuke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have SX OS and want to use EmuNand on the new 2.0 update.

I made a clean backup of my Nand on firmware 4.1 before any modifications. I updated to 5.1 (fuses were burnt) and forgot to make another Nand backup on this firmware.

Can I restore my Nand backup that I did from 4.1 while I'm currently on firmware 5.1 using RCM mode and Hekete and then update my system to 6.0 and then create a new clean Nand backup from there, then re-mod my switch with Emunand? Or can I just setup EmuNand the way my switch is now?

I also had about 12 games (all bought) that I backed up on the switch as well, am I able to restore them to my SD card after I create the EmuNand? Just don't want to go through the hassle of re-creating the backups again = /

Sorry if this is confusing. I just want to make sure I do this all properly and I'm unsure of what steps to take, that I set this up perfectly.

Thanks.

NarutoSasuke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what you guys are saying is I can't restore my Nand backup?

What about my other question about just setting up Emunand then?

This is my secondary switch.

Another user said that I can restore my Nand then upgrade to any firmware from there?

This is all extremely confusing.

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So what you guys are saying is I can't restore my Nand backup?

What about my other question about just setting up Emunand then?

This is my secondary switch.

Another user said that I can restore my Nand then upgrade to any firmware from there?

This is all extremely confusing.

Whoever told you that is an idiot. Seeing as you updated via official means, your fuses were burnt. burnt fuses=no downgrade. As for emunand, seeing as you're on 5.1 OFW, emunand would be of no use to you. What i'd do right now is STAY on 5.1 OFW and just use your SX to play your backups

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now I see where the confusion was stemming from. But seriously opening a thread even though you posted in the Noobs Paradise? -_-
Whoever told you that is an idiot. Seeing as you updated via official means, your fuses were burnt. burnt fuses=no downgrade. As for emunand, seeing as you're on 5.1 OFW, emunand would be of no use to you. What i'd do right now is STAY on 5.1 OFW and just use your SX to play your backups
Hi yes, I was the one who told him he can restore his 4.1 NAND to downgrade without issues. Its extremely doable and I've been able to run the 3.0.2 firmware on my console with 5 burnt fuses; the catch is that you have to use a bootloader that bypasses the fuse check such as Hekate, ReiNX, and SX OS V1.2+. You do lose out on sleep mode (this is currently unavoidable) but this is a minor issue since he's not staying on 4.1 permanently.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now I see where the confusion was stemming from. But seriously opening a thread even though you posted in the Noobs Paradise? -_-
Hi yes, I was the one who told him he can restore his 4.1 NAND to downgrade without issues. Its extremely doable and I've been able to run the 3.0.2 firmware on my console with 5 burnt fuses; the catch is that you have to use a bootloader that bypasses the fuse check such as Hekate, ReiNX, and SX OS V1.2+. You do lose out on sleep mode (this is currently unavoidable) but this is a minor issue since he's not staying on 4.1 permanently.
Yeah you CAN but why? Why would you want to restore to 4.1? You wont be able to take advantage of any future exploit. You'll still have to launch a payload every time through RCM. You see the problem right? If you dont then you need to be educated

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah you CAN but why? Why would you want to restore to 4.1? You wont be able to take advantage of any future exploit. You'll still have to launch a payload every time through RCM. You see the problem right? If you dont then you need to be educated
OP is in a rare situation where he wants a clean NAND before going online but his fuse count no longer matches the backup. This is one of those cases where downgrading, albeit temporarily, has some merit since OP is trying to avoid a ban (some people want to have their cake and eat it too). Once he restores his NAND then updates normally, the NAND will still be clean and he can do all of his hacks offline without any worry.

NarutoSasuke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly what Draxzelex said. I'm doing this because I want to buy Super Smash Brothers Ultimate and it is a version 6.0 game. Also, if I ever want to sell this switch in the future. I want to make sure the Nand is healthy and I'm not going to rip off a future buyer with a potential super banned Nintendo Switch as soon as they take it online.

Basically, I want to restore my Nand and then immediately go to firmware 6.0, then create a clean Nand backup on that firmware. Then proceed to make an EmuNand after I do this.

I do use Homebrew a lot. But, I can wait until the software's are all updated to support firmware 6.0.

Last edited by NarutoSasuke,

bundat

¿
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Need more info.
e.g. have you gone online since that 5.1 update? (which I assume was done in OFW)
Or have you gone online at all after using homebrew/CFW?

If you haven't, I'd recommend restoring the 4.1 NAND, then upgrading to 5.1 using ChoiDujourNX.
And NOT upgrade in OFW straight from 4.1 to 6.0.
This is because Nintendo last saw/logged your Switch as being on 5.1 (when you updated in OFW to 5.1 and burnt your fuses).
If you suddenly go online (after restoring your 4.1 backup) and you are on 4.1 again... it's a huge flag telling them:
"Hey look, I downgraded! I hacked my Switch! Can you tell, Nintendo? :P"

But then, if you've been online since then... your best bet is just to clean your Switch as best as you can (i.e. delete any tickets if you have installed NSPs, factory restore... deleting logs is VERY debateable and almost proven to be harmful if you've been online before with SOME logged errors)... and HOPE they don't have any traces of anything bannable on your Switch (such as bogus error codes).

"Continuity" is what matters most to Nintendo's logging, it seems. It's not only about having a "clean" NAND, but also not having missing logs (which is only possible via hacking your console).

jajamundo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If
Need more info.
e.g. have you gone online since that 5.1 update? (which I assume was done in OFW)

If you haven't, I'd recommend restoring the 4.1 NAND, then upgrading to 5.1 using ChoiDujourNX.
This is because Nintendo last saw/logged your Switch as being on 5.1 (when you updated in OFW to 5.1 and burnt your fuses).
If you suddenly go online (after restoring your 4.1 backup) and you are on 4.1 again... it's a huge flag telling them:

But then, if you've been online since then... your best bet is just to clean your Switch as best as you can (i.e. delete any tickets if you have installed NSPs, factory restore... deleting logs is VERY debateable and almost proven to be harmful if you've been online before with SOME logged errors)... and HOPE they don't have any traces of anything bannable on your Switch (such as bogus error codes).

"Continuity" is what matters most to Nintendo's logging, it seems. It's not only about having a "clean" NAND, but also not having missing logs (which is only possible via hacking your console).
If he try to restore the 4.1 Nand he just gonna get his switch bricked. He already burnt fuses, so he cant downgrade

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If he try to restore the 4.1 Nand he just gonna get his switch bricked. He already burnt fuses, so he cant downgrade
You can always downgrade OR upgrade to a firmware that doesn't match your fuse count as long as you boot into RCM and bypass the fuse check. How else do you think we update our firmware without burning fuses? Downgrading to a firmware below your fuse count operates under the same principle but in reverse.

bundat

¿
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
He can boot lower firmware using a bootloader that skips the fuse check, like Hekate 4.2.
Draxzelex already went through this in his post earlier.

The only issue that can't be removed by Hekate, is that he would be unable to use sleep mode on the lower firmware version, as stated by CTCaer (the dev of the current Hekate fork) here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-...tore-crashes-after-sleep.519091/#post-8301468

EDIT: ninja'd :ninja:

Last edited by bundat,

jajamundo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He can boot lower firmware using a bootloader that skips the fuse check, like Hekate 4.2.
Draxzelex already went through this in his post earlier.

The only issue that can't be removed by Hekate, is that he would be unable to use sleep mode on the lower firmware version, as stated by CTCaer (the dev of the current Hekate fork) here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-...tore-crashes-after-sleep.519091/#post-8301468

EDIT: ninja'd :ninja:
I didnt know this. So this means I can restore my 5.1 Nand to my switch and roll back. I update to 6.0 without burning fusess and really want to start using emunand. Have OFW on a lower firmware and use emu on 6.0

NarutoSasuke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Need more info.

The Nintendo Switch has not been online at all. I updated to 5.1 using one of my game carts - while still being offline. Nintendo still thinks I'm on Firmware 4.1

Even my news section on the switch hasn't updated either and still has the tutorials to set it up and what not.

bundat

¿
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The Nintendo Switch has not been online at all. I updated to 5.1 using one of my game carts - while still being offline. Nintendo still thinks I'm on Firmware 4.1

Even my news section on the switch hasn't updated either and still has the tutorials to set it up and what not.
In that case, I can recommend to restore the 4.1 backup, boot it using Hekate's stock option, and update to 5.1 using a cart, then update to 6.0 in OFW (assuming you don't care about fuses).

This would take the last risk out of the equation (which they are still seemingly not banning for, but it would be better to have no risk at all): mismatched fuse count

Then delete the internet settings and backup your NAND in 6.0. So that you can still play around with CFW until Smash finally comes out (and even if you don't want to do that, it's still always best to have a NAND backup made OFFLINE after each firmware update).

Last edited by bundat,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gt2ToRSjQA