Need Mupen64Plus advice

Discussion in 'Computer Programming, Emulation, and Game Modding' started by TotalInsanity4, Jun 2, 2016.

1. TotalInsanity4
    OP

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    First question: What is the best frontend for Mupen64Plus for Windows, from a functionality perspective? I'd preferably also like something that doesn't look tacky, but I'd settle as long as it works well

Second question: What is the best plugin setup for both accuracy and texture enhancement? As a side note, are there other 3rd party controller input plugins, or is the official one it?

2. lampdemon

lampdemon GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2013
    Canada
    Where the land sea lions live.
    Why not use Project64 instead? Even in linux I would use PJ64 through wine to play N64 games.

Mupen was just not as good, at least it wasn't over 5 years ago when I was using emulators...

3. TotalInsanity4
    OP

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I tried Project. I don't like it, personally. It's too easily corrupted (installed it twice and it wouldn't properly recognize my OoT ROM in the file list, as well as various settings getting "stuck"), has crackly audio at times, and the installer is loaded with malware (that's not of huge importance because I can actually READ, unlike some people who just click through the installer, but I don't like to support developers that get paid to include viruses in installers)

Touko White likes this.
  4. lampdemon

Oct 28, 2013
    Canada
    The old version should work just fine for most games.

I only recently learned about the bundled malware when I went to check the latest version they had at Emulator Zone.

5. TotalInsanity4
    OP

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Which old version?

6. lampdemon

Oct 28, 2013
    Canada

7. TotalInsanity4
    OP

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Ok. I'll check it out, thanks

8. TotalInsanity4
    OP

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Wow 1.6 is ugly lol. I have 2.1 up and running currently, and it seems to be running ok-ish, for the time being at least. Is there a recommended plugin setup for stable hi-res gaming?