Need help with NDS assembly

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Decimator, Mar 24, 2011.

Mar 24, 2011

Need help with NDS assembly by Decimator at 4:06 PM (1,497 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Decimator
    OP

Newcomer Decimator Newbie

Finland
    First of all, sorry for the thread. I can just guess how many threads like this you've all seen, but I really need help... I've been googling for over an hour to find a good enough assembly guide for the original DS, but the thing is, almost all of them are for the Lite version. And the one's that are for the original aren't even close as accurate I need.

Problem: I bought a new casing for the DS because the hinge was broken (also replaced the scratched touch screen module). But I can't get the damn hinge in it's place. It's the left hinge (looking from where you hold the device in your hand when playing). I couldn't even get it out in the first place without breaking the original case. Could someone give me REALLY specific instructions on how you're supposed to assemble the hinge, because I don't think I'm doing it right...

2. Ravte

Member Ravte GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    Not sure whether or not this'll help, or maybe you've checked this guide already, but I'll link it here incase you might find it usefull.
    http://www.psychotic-arts.com/dsrepair/

3. ecewarrior_mk

Newcomer ecewarrior_mk Member

Philippines
    Do you remember when/how do you remove the mechanical part inside the hinge?
    You might be doing it wrong. Read on.

Actually, removing those two parts is pretty easy (and does not require any destructive methods just like what you did).
    After un-screwing the 4 small screws on the front and removing the back (the one with Nintendo logo) and removing the mobo (and unlocking the ribbon for the top screen), open the DS and it MUST stop on the FIRST click. You then push the two mechanical parts (or whatever you call those) with a small screw driver (i did this with a precision screwdriver).

The same procedure can be done when assembling the case. Be carefull with the ribbon cable.

btw, I've been doing this for several times with my big 'ol DS and some of my GBA SPs.

4. Decimator
    OP

Finland
    Oh, now I see. That wasn't really the problem I was having, but that helped me understand what I need to do. You see, the hinge of my original shell was broken, and the mechanical part was stuck on the wrong position. That's why I couldn't take it out the way it's supposed to come out (so I broke the original shell to pull it out the other way). Out of my own stupidity, I tried fixing the original shell with some glue, so there's glue inside the mechanical part of the hinge. With pliers I managed to put the mechanical part in the proper position. I'm afraid I might have broken the part that the hinge is supposed to go into, but I'll try again to get the mechanical part inside.

By the way, are those mechanical parts sold anywhere separately? Unfortunately the shells don't come with a pair of new ones, and I might need one due to the glue and trying to force it inside in the wrong position...

Edit: Damn, I got the mechanical part in properly, but the bottom was not attached and now I can't get it out!
    Edit 2: ALL RIGHT! I got it back so now I can insert the bottom... so it needs to be in the first click position when I enter the mechanical part? Here goes nothing...
    Edit 3: Ugh, not working... holding it the proper position while pushing the mechanical part is hard as hell. Something keeps slipping out of the place every time.

5. ecewarrior_mk

Newcomer ecewarrior_mk Member

Philippines
    I'm afraid you cannot find them around, unless you buy a defective unit and extract what you need

i suggest initiating the assembly without the mobo and the other PCBs already screwed. Start by inserting the 2 parts with the top and bottom shells (the two with rectangular holes for the LCD).

If you already removed the 2 hinge parts PROPERLY before, just insert them while the shell is opened in the '1st click' position.
    It should slide smooth if done correctly because those two are designed to be inserted and fit on the slots.

If you are still having troubles, make it sure that the 2 parts are properly twisted; since i recall that you forcefully extracted the hinge component. You can check it by looking if the plastic half is aligned on the twisting metal half.

Hope that helps!

6. Decimator
    OP

Finland
    Woot, got the mechanical parts in place! I'm almost done with the assembly now. Though for some reason the bottom of the console won't fit in the new shell. [​IMG] It's too loose, half of the screws won't even reach the holes meant for them, and if I close it like that then the buttons are hardly pushable. I need to figure what's keeping it up, because it should fit deeper into the shell than it does now...