Need Help Softmodding Fat PS2 Cheap

Acetonide

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got my hands on an old PS2 and I was considering softmodding it.
I want to do it for as cheap and as easily as possible (Obviously)

Here's what I have:
- Fat PS2 Model No. SCPH-30001
- PS1 Memory cards (which supposedly work for PS2 but I haven't had a chance to try them)
- USB Flash Drive (2GB)
- USB External Hard Drive (120GB Portal WD and 2TB Desktop WD)
- Computer (Otherwise I'd have trouble posting this)
- Various old PS1 games

I was considering Free MCBoot so I'd probably have to get a PS2 Memory card.. And to install it I know I need a way to run the installer either by swapping or through a device such as AR..
I am also thinking about tracking down a PS2 network adapter so I can play games on my laptop.. (That is not to use my laptop to play games, but to have the games on my laptop and play them using my PS2..)
I am aware of USB Advance which allows you to run games from a USB hard drive if you have something like MCBoot but last I heard it was pretty slow since the PS2 uses USB 1.1 and there's not much I can do about that..

Any how, my questions.
Does MC Boot change the actual firmware of the PS2?
What is the cheapest method for me to install MC Boot?*
Can I remove MC Boot from my MC if I don't need it anymore?

*Notes:
-I have no one near me who has it, and no one around me who can help me.
-I am aware of volunteers who you can mail your MC too, but I would prefer not to do that if possible. The USPS has let me down far too often, and I prefer not using UPS or something.
-I do not mind opening my PS2 but I would prefer not to do so..
-I live in the United States and I can purchase things online, but I prefer not to. I probably have to get a memory card online any ways, GameStop is quite a rip off (imo).

Thank you for all your help, and I'm sorry if I seem like a bit of a noob, but I prefer to be certain about things rather than assuming and getting screwed over later. Ans sorry for the wall of text. >.<;

Solution
1) no FMCB does not modify the firmware of the ps2, once you remove the exploited Memory card your playstation is back to normal

2) the cheapest method is pretty subjective to what you have to hand you will need a way of installing the exploit ( AR, CB ect ) and a ps2 memory card

3) removing the exploit is as easy as deleting the data on the card once its gone it will no longer boot.

Uiaad

GBAtemp's resident guinea pig
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1) no FMCB does not modify the firmware of the ps2, once you remove the exploited Memory card your playstation is back to normal

2) the cheapest method is pretty subjective to what you have to hand you will need a way of installing the exploit ( AR, CB ect ) and a ps2 memory card

3) removing the exploit is as easy as deleting the data on the card once its gone it will no longer boot.

Solution

churkus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
without a method to run the freemcboot installer on your PS2, you will NEVER be able to install it wihtout a volunteer.

I was able to do it using the ps2 network adapter install disk, making a backup of it, and swapping elfs to run ulaunch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Nope.