Need Help Recovering Save File

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by VenomSnake, Jan 15, 2016.

1. VenomSnake
    OP

VenomSnake Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2015
    India
    I had a legit CIA of Pokemon Alpha Sapphire installed recently. I beat the game, and I had to format my system to install rxTools. To backup my save file, I copied the .sav and other files for Alpha Sapphire from the Nintendo 3DS folder on my SD card. After installing rxTools, I reinstalled the CIA and pasted my old save file. When I launched the game, I got this error: "The saved game data is corrupted. Refer to the electronic manual for details".

Is there any way I can recover my original save file? I'd hate to lose over 20 hours of progress.
    I'm also having a similar issue with Super Mario 3D Land, but I don't mind starting it over again.

Thanks.

2. Aroth

Aroth GBAtemp Addict

Apr 14, 2015
    United States
    Data inside the Nintendo 3DS folder is encrypted with a unique key that is generated when you format the console. You cannot back up your saves by just copying them off of the card. If you format the console a new key (as well as a new console ID, represented by the nested folders with the long ass hexadecimal names) is generated and any data copied off before the format will not be readable.

In the future if you want to back up your saves, use SaveDataFiler or a similar program to extract the save.

VenomSnake likes this.
  3. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    You already lost that savefile for good.

If you plan on formating your memory card you can just copy the stuff from the SD to your PC and back, however if you plan on formating your system you have to use SaveDataFiler to decrypt the save file first and THEN you can back it up to your PC.

After that you can use SaveDataFiler to restore the savegame, you could even restore the savegame to other systems.

You can't just drag it around while the savegame is encrypted.

Last edited by Tony_93, Jan 15, 2016
    VenomSnake likes this.
  4. VenomSnake
    OP

VenomSnake Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2015
    India
    Damn :mellow:
    Thanks for the replies.