Need help on building a computer

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by thereisnocake, Mar 12, 2011.

Mar 12, 2011
  1. thereisnocake
    OP

Newcomer thereisnocake Newbie

United States
    Prices shouldn't be ridiculous, I want this to stay at least below $1,000.

I'm buying all the parts off of newegg.

I want to build off of this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleD...st=Combo.617104

I already have most of my peripherals, so I just need a some confirmation on a few things.

1. I want to be able to run this with 3 monitors. I realize that this is going to need another graphics card. I don't know what will work with this. Could you please help me find one that will work with this?
    2. I also plan to put in a sound card. Can you also recommend me one for this?
    3. I also want a blu-ray drive, and this one looks good ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16827136181 ) Can you tell me if this is compatible?

If there are any other suggestions you can give me, please tell me. Thank you.

2. 2wirends

Newcomer 2wirends Advanced Member

United States
    1. I don't know if that power supply unit (PSU) is big enough for the eventual graphics card that you would get to use 3 monitors...

2. Why do you want a sound card?

3. That blue ray drive should be compatible.

3. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    first off , the PSU bundled won't be able to suffice a powerful enough gfx card so that you may use 3 monitors .

1. if you are going for a triple monitor build , i recommend a gfx card off of ATI/AMD . a single gfx. card can support up to 3 monitors . though i haven't read many builds where people tried running a single gfx. card for triple monitors . may i ask what you will be using it for , so i have a good idea if you should go single with ATI/AMD or crossfire/SLI ?

2. most mobos come with decent onboard audio chipsets . i don't recommend getting a sound card .

3. yeah it should be .

a few notes :
    - spend a good amount of money on a great PSU . look for brands such as CoolerMaster, Corsair and Antec . there are more , but those 3 in particular , i've read great reviews with . since you plan on going for triple monitor , you'll need a decent enough gfx card . i'd say 700w and above for a PSU and aim for one that has at least an 80% efficiency
    - that HDD might be a little risky . 2TB is great don't get me wrong , but if it crashes , you'll end up losing a LOT of data .
    - i'd say choose another case . that one got more pricey because of the PSU . look for one that doesn't have a PSU bundled so you have a wider choice of cases + PSUs . case brands i am familiar with are CoolerMaster, Antec and Lian-Li . for those , i've read and heard good reviews for them in general , but don't be afraid to ask about other brands here .

4. dark ajax

Member dark ajax GBAtemp Regular

Mexico
    Hi I don't know about the sound or the blue ray, but I would recommend you getting a pair of those adapters where you can plug the monitor and turn it to USB, that way you don't have to worry that much about the graphics card...

5. Licardo7

Member Licardo7 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    don't turn it into usb. They have horrid refresh times

6. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    I have that exact same burner, havnt burned a blu-ray with it but the blu-ray reader part of it works fine

7. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    For selecting good parts for a PC, there's the buyer's guide:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    Now to answer specific questions:

1) To run 3 monitors, look into AMD EyeFinite technology. As long as one of the monitors features a DisplayPort connection, you can have a 3 monitor setup. You can either have 3 seperate monitor displays, or turn it into one big high-resolution screen (AMD advertise it as a cheap alternative to huge-resolution screens). The entire AMD HD5xxx series supports Eyefinite, with the HD5870 supporting up to 6 displays (meaning Splych is a lil wrong). I believe the HD6xxx series supports it too (I heard some of the lower end cards didn't), although I don't know any HD6xxx cards that support 6 displays. Also, the capacity of the PSU has nothing to do with the number of monitors a graphics card can support.

2) bit-tech recommends Asus Xonar DX for a relatively cheap discreet graphics card. In some tests it even beats a Creative X-Fi Titanium.

3) It uses SATA interface, so it's compatible. Nothing hard about that question.

Do you already have the monitors, or are they supposed to be included in your $1000 budget?

8. thereisnocake
    OP

Newcomer thereisnocake Newbie

United States
    Thanks for the help guys, and I already have all 3 monitors.

I also have another question, since the power supply won't be able to cover it, what are some cases that will fit and what psu will go along with it?

9. Originality

United Kingdom
    Pick a graphics card first (one that will support DisplayPort and EyeFinite), then we'll know what type of power supply you'll need. If you only take a low-end graphics card, 430W will be enough. For mid-ranged graphics cards, 450-500W is recommended. 550-650W is for systems with the high end graphics cards.

As for "fitting"... everything should fit just fine in an Antec 300 case. Even a HD5970 can fit in an Antec 300 case (if the default cooler is taken is replaced with a waterblock cooling).

10. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    o_o .
    i never knew that !
    damn , i am falling behind xD

11. Originality

United Kingdom
    I got it from Wiki, but I already knew it from reading CustomPC magazine. HD5870 has 6 mini-DisplayPorts with a few adaptors for the normal connections (HDMI, DVI, VGA, S-Video). I thought it was a good idea, so it was a bit disappointing to see the HD6 series back to their mixed affair.

12. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    It wasn't carried over to the all the hd6 series as the 5870 with six ports, was the eyefinity version of it and cost more than the standard version. The standard 5870 is 2 dvi , 1 hdmi and 1 display port for 3 screens per card.