Need help installing CFW on 2ds with damaged screen

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by PikachuR77, Sep 11, 2018.

1. PikachuR77
    OP

PikachuR77 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 6, 2018
    United States
    I have this 3ds that has just the screen broken but everything else works fine, you just can't see the screen. I thought of installing CFW to enable NTR CFW to be able to stream it to my PC or at least get the local friend code seed off of it. However, I realized that this seems to be impossible as installing CFW requires entering a randomly generated code that appears on the top screen that must be entered. However, without being able to see the screen I can't install. Is there any way to bypass that code or some alternative method to installing CFW? Thank you.

2. E1ite007

E1ite007 GBATemp's Acid Techno DJ And Producer

Nov 19, 2016
    Mexico
    Ah... nope.
    Is like trying to repair a PC blindfolded. All methods to install CFW (or even homebrew in that case) need you to see and locate things in the top sceen.
    Sorry.
    :unsure:

TurdPooCharger likes this.
  3. PikachuR77
    OP

Feb 6, 2018
    United States
    Ah ok. I guess I just have to hope some method of doing it blind becomes available. Although would booting Luma with ntrboothax directly after every bootup work?

4. unvaluablespace

unvaluablespace GBAtemp Regular

Aug 3, 2014
    United States
    Step 1) Identify your particular 2ds/3ds model (old/new 3ds, old/new 2ds, xl/non-xl)

Step 2) Identify which screen is broken (top/bottom)

Step 3) Edumicate yourself and watch related 3ds repair videos on youtube (example: old 3ds XL bottom screen replacement/repair)

Step 4) Find the part on ebay based on the earlier identifications. Also get a small philips screwdriver, as well as tiny pointy tweezers

Step 6) Repair that shiz...

Profit!

Disclaimer: in no way am I trying to be a smartass about your situation, but replacing the screens aren't that hard. as a big guy with fat fingers, I HIGHLY suggest a good pair of tweezers! lifesaver when working with the various 3ds models. :)

emerald_boy likes this.
  5. SCOTT0852

SCOTT0852 Kid now, squid now

Jan 20, 2018
    United States
    Actually, it's the same every time. I forget exactly what it is, but I know that it never changes.

6. E1ite007

E1ite007 GBATemp's Acid Techno DJ And Producer

Nov 19, 2016
    Mexico
    Also, I said that it was like trying to repair/setup a PC blindfolded. What I was tryin' to said actually, is that you can do it if you're skillful enough.
    I wouldn't try it, but if you follow the guide properly (and have some luck) you may do it.
    If you still want to try it, I wish you a lot of luck.
    :D

7. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    It isn't random, I'm pretty sure it is always the same. You just need someone else to do it and tell you the button combination.

8. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
  9. PikachuR77
    OP

Feb 6, 2018
    United States
    Thank you! I'll check on my New 3ds XL to get the button combos.