Hardware Need help, can't seem to open ports on router.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need help, I been trying for awhile now... (Maybe months, I don't remember) trying to open ports on my router. Despite following numerous tutorials, I can't seem to get it right. To be specific, I have a trend.net model TEW-812DRU dual band AC1750.

TEW-812DRU_d04_2.jpg

Following tutorials never help, I did as instructed and just can't get it to work.
image011.jpg

I can see why this is at the bottom of the page. It didn't seem helpful to many people.

upload_2018-4-28_15-53-32.png

Now I just want you to know I did all of that. I even manually changed my IP address, and did was is shown in the picture. Then I went to a website to check if my port was open and it says closed.

upload_2018-4-28_15-57-26.png

Now I just want to ask if anyone has this brand router that can help me. I am starting to think something is either wrong with my router or maybe my instructions. :(

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why did you type 192.168..... into the online port checker?

The 192 address are one of the reserved bands on IPv4. There are many uses for such a setup but here what you care about is that most routers then use these addresses for their local network. As the port checker is not in your local network it is not going to show an open port.

You need to go to somewhere like https://www.whatismyip.com/ and find out your external IP.
Put that into the port checker along with the port and try that.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why did you type 192.168..... into the online port checker?
Because that's my local IP address i manually set in my PC wifi settings, the public IP address that site you linked me to showed is the one my IPS uses to identify me on the internet, the local one is the one that gets re-directed to the devices connected to the router. I thought that was the one I was supposed to use.

I used both of them and still got the closed result. :unsure:

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The local IP beginning with 192.168 only applies to devices on your side of the router. If you want a website to tell you if your ports are open, you have to tell them your public IP assigned by your ISP.

Opening a port is basically saying any requests to your public IP on that port will be routed directly to your specified local IP address.

Now based on the pic, I don’t see anything wrong with that setup. I would probably tell it to use UDP and TCP depending on what kind of server you’re trying to run, but anyway.

One thing that might cause issues is trying to open port 80 which is typically used for HTTP traffic, and may be blocked by your firewall to protect you from websites. Try opening a random port such as 7777 and checking again (using your public IP in that site).

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The local IP beginning with 192.168 only applies to devices on your side of the router. If you want a website to tell you if your ports are open, you have to tell them your public IP assigned by your ISP.

Opening a port is basically saying any requests to your public IP on that port will be routed directly to your specified local IP address.

Now based on the pic, I don’t see anything wrong with that setup. I would probably tell it to use UDP and TCP depending on what kind of server you’re trying to run, but anyway.

One thing that might cause issues is trying to open port 80 which is typically used for HTTP traffic, and may be blocked by your firewall to protect you from websites. Try opening a random port such as 7777 and checking again (using your public IP in that site).
Are you referring to this?

upload_2018-4-29_6-38-57.png

LittleFlame

Local Bruh.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
you need to login to your router, open up a command prompt, type in ipconfig and enter the default gateway into your browser
JT6g8q7.png

login to your router, password should be admin.

From there for me it's under "Settings"
and you've simply got a "Port Forwarding" option, maybe take a screenshot of your homepage, blurring out any IP so we could help you out from there

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you need to login to your router, open up a command prompt, type in ipconfig and enter the default gateway into your browser
JT6g8q7.png

login to your router, password should be admin.

From there for me it's under "Settings"
and you've simply got a "Port Forwarding" option, maybe take a screenshot of your homepage, blurring out any IP so we could help you out from there

This is what it looks like on my router.
image011.jpg

LittleFlame

Local Bruh.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is what it looks like on my router.
image011.jpg
okay, what you do is you open both a TCP & a UDP port on the same IP adres & the same port, public and Private. make sure your firewall is off cause that can cause some issues, also apply it if you haven't. I'm also interested in both the "Routing & Gaming" tabs could you show those to me?

Also is there any game you're hosting as these sites that tell you if your port is open don't work for me either, but my friends can always connect to me.

EDIT: the port I usually go for it 21025.
Also When setting up a server make sure the port is routed to the port you've forwarded in your router

Last edited by LittleFlame,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: :lol: