Need advice with mod chipping a Gamecube

Discussion in 'Nintendo GameCube' started by Matt93, Nov 26, 2008.

Nov 26, 2008
  1. Matt93
    OP

Member Matt93 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hi,

This black Friday, GameStop is going to be selling used Gamecubes for $40. I'm planning to pick one up and install a drive modchip to play backups. All I need is a drive modchip, because I have my softmodded Wii for all the fancy stuff. I want it to work and run backups just like a regular gamecube. In fact, the only reason I'm getting this is because softmodded Wiis can't run gamecube backups yet, and I'm not hardmodding my Wii.

Most importantly, what is the best drive modchip out there? I would like one that is simple to install, but very reliable. I've heard of Duo Q and Xeno GC, although It seems like Xeno GC is hard to install because it has no wires.

What exactly will I need to open everything up? I know I could order a gamebit screwdriver, but can't I make one by heating up a pen and molding it to the screw? I hear that works.

What will I need to attach the wires? I'm assuming I have to solder it. What soldering equipment will I need? What kind of solder gun and solder would you recommend?

I would also like a replacement case so that I can use regular-sized DVDs with my Gamecube. I know that I could use the ghetto method and take it off and tape the drive sensor down, but I don't want my Gamecube looking like a piece of crap. Where can I find replacement cases to buy? I live in the USA.

2. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    I would go with the XenoGC ($15 to $30), cheap and easy to get in.

NEVER GET A SOLDERING GUN!!!! That's all I have to say [​IMG] .

You'll find it really hard to find a replacement case from a good seller, I've been looking for a while and found nothing.

P.S. If you have a Wii get a WiiKey 2 + WiiClip. Only cost you $50 and a lot easier to get in.

3. Matt93
    OP

United States
    Then how do I attach it without a soldering gun?

4. playallday

Canada
    Get a soldering IRON.

5. Matt93
    OP

United States
    Oh, gotcha. Thought about that right after I posted. I feel stupid now. xD

But the bad thing about Xeno GC is that there are no wires, and if you screw up then it's hard to fix... Still though, would you say it's fairly easy to install for my first time modding a system? And if I did screw up (which I might) then how would I go about fixing it?

6. playallday

Canada
    Everyone does it sometime [​IMG] .

I really don't see the XenoGC not having wires a bad thing, I think it makes it easier. If you mess it up you could try desoldering it. If I were you I wouldn't waste my time freaking out about messing it up, I'm sure you can find a Gamecube console for $10.

I have not tried putting mine in yet, I don't have the screw driver yet. This will also be my first time modding a system before so I'll let you know how it goes.

I really don't get why you don't chip your Wii, its solderless and VERY EASY!

7. Matt93
    OP

United States
    $10?! Are you serious? The best deal from amazon is about $30.00 with shipping. Where could I find a $10 gamecube?

I'm sticking with softmods for my Wii. I don't want to screw it up and I can still run Wii backups that way.

Oh, and you know you can make yourself a screwdriver by softening the end of a bic pen with heat and then molding it to the screw.

8. Matt93
    OP

United States
    Well I got the soldering tools today. I got a 30 watt soldering iron and some rosin core electrical solder, so I should be all set.

As for the modchip, I'm looking for a DuoQ. I like that one the best, as it uses wires and has an LED attachment. that you could put somewhere. I don't want to have to deal with desoldering in case I mess up on a Xeno GC. Does anyone know where I can get a DuoQ at a good price? Again, I live in the USA.

9. playallday

Canada
    Look on kijiji, I put a ad up and I got one for $5.

10. Matt93
    OP

United States
    Well I got a gamecube so I don't need to worry about that. Now all I need is the chip and gamebit. After reconsidering, I'm thinking of going with a Xeno GC 2.0, as the DuoQ's soldering points are very small.