Hardware near-future purchase help requested

yoyoyoyohan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hello all of GBAtemp.net, i love this site btw, great help for everything i need for my NDS

im a die-hard fan extremely big fan big fan/ well, i'll put it this way, i was brought up with the GAMEBOY. yes, the original gameboy which now sits quietly in a drawer in great condition
gameboy color just needs new batteries and i'll battle you one on one with my pokemons
GBA now resides with dust.
NDS is all "pimped out" and working lovel-lee

now heres my problem, i need a MP3 player and i hate ipods, so i thought i might get a GBA micro then get like a flashcard or something to put all my songs onto
if possible, a few gigs (say 4gigs plus?) or an external SD card
whats a good flashcard to buy for a GBA MICRO that supports playing mp3's and movies and (if possible, but not necessary) games (GB,GBC,GBA)

price is of a barrrier but i'll get over it

thanks for all your help

.::5pYd3r::.

Viva La Pizza
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I lol'd at
yoyoyoyohan said:
whats a good flashcard to buy for a GBA MICRO that supports playing mp3's and movies and (if possible, but not necessary) games (GB,GBC,GBA)
most people buy flashcards to play games and not mp3's and movies. So I would recommend buying a Meizu M6 and forget about the GBA Micro because for a similar price + audiophile headphones you can get audiophile sound quality. (Google for more info on why the Meizu M6 is so uber or ask fellow GBAtemp member like TLSpartan and Linkieboy 'coz i cbf explaining
tongue.gif
)

yoyoyoyohan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
maybe this was a bad idea to begin with.
it all started cos i wiki'd GBA micro and it said something about music playing, and i thought, hey, this'd make a brilliant mp3 player, small, nice lookin' and a gameboy. you dont hear the words gameboy much.. its all DS this DS that (which is awesome)

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The GBA is not nearly powerful enough to decode mp3 files in real-time, so you'd have to convert to a lower-quality format first. Look at GBA GSM Player for instance. You can get the Nintendo MP3 player which uses on-board hardware to decode the audio and then just uses the GBA for audio output, but it'll stick out of the cartridge slot and probably won't work too well overall.

The DS has more horsepower, so it can decode mp3 files (see Moonshell), but the limitations of the DS's audio hardware ensure that it will never sound as good as a dedicated mp3 player. Now the DS was perfectly adequate for my purposes, but each person is different.

Movies are in a similar position. The GBA is severely restricted when it comes to playing back video files. You can use a program called METEO to convert between 5 minutes (highest quality) and 25 minutes (lowest quality) of video into a *.gba file, or you can buy a GBA Movie Player which will also have horrible video quality. On the DS, Moonshell can playback specially-converted video files at a decent framerate and bitrate, and again it's been perfectly fine for what I would use it for, but it's not the greatest if you want it exclusively for video playback.

yoyoyoyohan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
DanTheManMS said:
The GBA is not nearly powerful enough to decode mp3 files in real-time, so you'd have to convert to a lower-quality format first. Look at GBA GSM Player for instance. You can get the Nintendo MP3 player which uses on-board hardware to decode the audio and then just uses the GBA for audio output, but it'll stick out of the cartridge slot and probably won't work too well overall.

The DS has more horsepower, so it can decode mp3 files (see Moonshell), but the limitations of the DS's audio hardware ensure that it will never sound as good as a dedicated mp3 player. Now the DS was perfectly adequate for my purposes, but each person is different.

Movies are in a similar position. The GBA is severely restricted when it comes to playing back video files. You can use a program called METEO to convert between 5 minutes (highest quality) and 25 minutes (lowest quality) of video into a *.gba file, or you can buy a GBA Movie Player which will also have horrible video quality. On the DS, Moonshell can playback specially-converted video files at a decent framerate and bitrate, and again it's been perfectly fine for what I would use it for, but it's not the greatest if you want it exclusively for video playback.

i think that one post has set my mind off the gba as my ideal mp3 player.
thanx Dan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night