NDS tethering homebrew. Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Gunfreak11, Aug 20, 2010.

Aug 20, 2010
  1. Gunfreak11
    OP

Member Gunfreak11 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm sure a signifigant portion of people here own an NDS and a Wii. Furthermore, I'm sure a portion of those use WPA, an encryption that the Wii can use, but not the DS.

My thought is that maybe through the use of bootmii, we could hack the Wii into acting as a bridge, accepting connections from a DS through WEP Open and then passing it along to the WPA router. This would allow us to keep our security in place, but we still have the conveniences of being able to play online with our DSs.

On another note, is there a way to rip the WiFi key used from the Wii? What about if we have it in its still encrypted state?

2. Richardarkless

Member Richardarkless GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I dont think it would be possible with bootmii as its a recovery mode which turns everything except wired input (gamecube controller) and sd storage off

Someone could make an app but that app would need to be open to keep the connection open its pointless

3. terminal_illness

Member terminal_illness Dark Hadou Master

Canada
    just switch to WEP. most routers can do both. why make things more complicated then they have to be?

4. qwertymodo

Member qwertymodo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Because WEP is incredibly insecure. Especially if you also have PC's on that same router it's a really bad idea.

5. MrX_Cuci

Newcomer MrX_Cuci Member

Netherlands
    Use a MAC address filter in combination with WEP. Can't get any more secure then that.

6. macgeek417

Member macgeek417 妁眼のシャナ

United States
    Even unencrypypted + disabled DCHP and custom IP settings is fine.

7. DigitalDeviant

Member DigitalDeviant GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I'll have to try that out.

8. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    The problem I've found is that the DS can't connect to an ad-hoc network, unless it's made by the Nintendo Wifi USB adapter thingy. I've tried connecting both the Wii and the DS to ad-hoc networks created by both my laptop and my iPhone, and neither has worked. Given that this is most likely how such a tethering application would be implemented, I find it doubtful that it would work.