.nds.sav vs .sav

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by yatesl, Sep 19, 2009.

Sep 19, 2009

.nds.sav vs .sav by yatesl at 8:37 AM (1,414 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. yatesl
    OP

Member yatesl GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Coming from an R4 on a DSLite, to an Acekard 2i on a DSi, I noticed that all my save files didn't work. After very little investigation, it was obviously because R4 uses .sav, whilst the AK uses .nds.sav. After a quick bat command, this was promptly solved, and I went on my merry way.

However, after trying the AKAIO 1.4.1 firmware, and digging about in the settings, I noticed that this supports the .sav format, too.

Are there advantages to using either one? As far as I know, most carts use .sav, so I suppose a pro to using that would be a 'universal' save file (without the need to rename). However, a con would be that I'd have to run the bat file again (hard work, right?). It's not really a major dilemma really, as either way it'd take 30 seconds to swap them all over, and I've had no .nds.sav problems thus far, but I was wondering if there were any major advantages or flaws with either format.

Cheers.

2. Ac-town

Newcomer Ac-town Member

United States
    The name of the file have nothing to do with the R4 saves not working. The R4 handles saves differently. Also, the setting there is for personal choice. Some people want the .nds in the file name of the save so they know what goes to what.

3. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    They are exactly the same thing. Except that one is named .nds.sav the other one is just .sav. I use .sav since all other flashcarts use .sav so I could use my sav on other flashcarts.

4. Briankealing

Member Briankealing GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    If you already have a whole bunch of .nds.sav's, it's really not worth the time to change them to .sav unless you're changing flashcarts.

It's just a different name. No biggie.

5. xshinox

Member xshinox GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    .sav owns. if you are using any flash carts that forces save files to turn into .nds.sav, change it back to .sav in the option

6. Retrievil

Member Retrievil GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    It's really doesn't matter. You can use a /bat file to change all your .nds.sav to just .sav in like 2 seconds.