NASA announcement?!

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I read about this on Facebook and then someone linked it on GBAtemp in the shoutbox, but I didnt see a thread about it

SOURCE: http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2010/nov/H...trobiology.html
QUOTE said:
NASA Sets News Conference on Astrobiology Discovery; Science Journal Has Embargoed Details Until 2 p.m. EST On Dec. 2

WASHINGTON -- NASA will hold a news conference at 2 p.m. EST on Thursday, Dec. 2, to discuss an astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life. Astrobiology is the study of the origin, evolution, distribution and future of life in the universe.

The news conference will be held at the NASA Headquarters auditorium at 300 E St. SW, in Washington. It will be broadcast live on NASA Television and streamed on the agency's website at http://www.nasa.gov.

Participants are:
- Mary Voytek, director, Astrobiology Program, NASA Headquarters, Washington
- Felisa Wolfe-Simon, NASA astrobiology research fellow, U.S. Geological Survey, Menlo Park, Calif.
- Pamela Conrad, astrobiologist, NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md.
- Steven Benner, distinguished fellow, Foundation for Applied Molecular Evolution, Gainesville, Fla.
- James Elser, professor, Arizona State University, Tempe

Media representatives may attend the conference or ask questions by phone or from participating NASA locations. To obtain dial-in information, journalists must send their name, affiliation and telephone number to Steve Cole at [email protected] or call 202-358-0918 by noon Dec. 2.

For NASA TV streaming video and downlink information, visit:

does the NASA usually hold such conferences? is it going to be important?
I hope so, but I'm not getting my hopes up
tongue.gif

mameks

in memoriam of gravitas
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oo~, so you can watch it online.
yay.gif

But yeah, doubt it'll be that interesting...
They were going to be having a talk at school today about space plants :3

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I was watching on one of the discovery or history channels this week and I remember hearing that they found an meteorite that is supposedly made up of a majority of matter that is organic in nature. I didn't get to catch it all as I was flipping through the channels. I wonder if this has something to do with it.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Rumor has it the important finding is actually the discovery by Felise Wolfe Simon, one of the announced participants/speakers, of a life form that uses arsenic for energy. The organisms were found in Lake Mono. That will definitely impact the search for extraterrestrial life, but it's not little green men.

QUOTE said:
The results suggest that arsenic photosynthesis evolved at the same time, or even before, "normal" photosynthesis. Oremland says a similar mechanism might once have fuelled life on Mars or on Jupiter's moon Europa.

mameks

in memoriam of gravitas
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Veho said:
Rumor has it the important finding is actually the discovery by Felise Wofle Simon, one of the announced participants/speakers, of a life form that uses arsenic for energy. The organisms were found in Lake Mono. That will definitely impact the search for extraterrestrial life, but it's not little green men.

QUOTE said:
The results suggest that arsenic photosynthesis evolved at the same time, or even before, "normal" photosynthesis. Oremland says a similar mechanism might once have fuelled life on Mars or on Jupiter's moon Europa.
That is so cool.
x3.gif

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If this is what the press conference is about why waste the time on speculation? I'd think that they would have something better to reveal.

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Veho said:
Rumor has it the important finding is actually the discovery by Felise Wolfe Simon, one of the announced participants/speakers, of a life form that uses arsenic for energy. The organisms were found in Lake Mono. That will definitely impact the search for extraterrestrial life, but it's not little green men.

QUOTE said:
that does sound cool indeed, but I'm not sure what that implies
tongue.gif

I mean i understand the terms but I am unable (i lack scientific knowledge) to understand why this is cool.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Costello said:
I mean i understand the terms but I am unable (i lack scientific knowledge) to understand why this is cool.
It means there's a possibility for life where until now it was thought life could not exist, i.e. in an environment full of arsenic and devoid of the more "common" nutrients. Until now, it was assumed microorganisms would either starve or be poisoned in such an environment, and now there's a bunch of little things that, well, eat poison.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Veho said:
Costello said:
It means there's a possibility for life where until now it was thought life could not exist, i.e. in an environment full of arsenic and devoid of the more "common" nutrients. Until now, it was assumed microorganisms would either starve or be poisoned in such an environment, and now there's a bunch of little things that, well, eat poison.

It is cool but it's not the first life form to be found thriving in an extreme inhospitable environment on Earth. Unless they have some rocks or other samples from Mars or some other planet or moon I don't think that this would be that big of an announcement.

DeathscytheX

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The importance of this discovery is that, because nobody believed that life was possible in such "harsh" conditions, nobody bothered looking for life. But now that we have a well researched and documented example here on earth we can go back and look to see if there ever was something there. Furthermore it was always thougth that live was only posibble via classical photosynthesis, while these micro-organisms use different complexes to harvest light energy, so this could also lead to new insights regarding the origin of life.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
Costello said:
Veho said:

QUOTE said:
that does sound cool indeed, but I'm not sure what that implies
tongue.gif

think life that does not breath and feeds on poison.
those harsh, "inhospitable" planets suddenly seem a little more likely to be home to lifeforms

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this sucks this news is OLD as hell.

this does not really mean that much. its obvious that life will adapt to its environment. thats what dna does over time. but DNA is the key.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: