N64 wont turn On

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by pedro702, Nov 27, 2015.

1. pedro702
    OP

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    So i had my Pal N64 console in a boxfor like 7 years wich was the last time it was used, today i decided to take it out and to my surprise the red light doesnt turn on, tryed ehcking the cables and everything and no chance.

But something happens

If i have the On switch pressed and connect to the power outlet the red light turns one for like a second and then off again and if the button is On after i unplug it after like 20 seconds the red light turns on again for a second and goes off right after a second too.

So what do you guys think is the issue?I dont want to spend money on a new ac adapter and that wasnt the issue and so on, anyone with some tips to find out whats wrong?

2. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    9/10 its a component internally of the power supply thats gone/going.

3. pedro702
    OP

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    i still think its wierd since it was safely stored in a box all this time, i will order one from e bay i guess and hope its that because if it isnt then i will need to get a totaly new console.

4. Shulking

Shulking Member

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2015
    United States
    How come it took you seven years to turn on?

5. VinsCool

VinsCool Disgusted

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    An Alternate Reality
    Possibly a power block issues. My n64 had a similar problem, and getting a new power block fixed it

6. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Try jiggling the power brick in the back of the N64. There's a common issue where there's a contact problem of some sort. If you can get it to come on by this sort of moving, you can try to prop it up so that it contacts better, or you can even use a version the old "paper trick" you have to use for some flashcards on the 3DS, where you fold up some paper and wedge it between the bottom of the brick and the N64.