N64 Red Screen

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by dj505, Apr 26, 2015.

1. dj505
    OP

dj505 Inexperienced Romhacker

Oct 4, 2014
    Canada
    Most likely at the arcade
    I was playing Kirby on my n64 one day when the screen turned black red and a short, odd noise played. So I turned it off and back on again and the screen just stayed completely black. Can't remember i the power light turned on or not; i thought it might be a fuse inside the console. But the N64 didn't have a fuse, like lots of consoles did. Any time I turn it on the screen remains black and there's no sound, even when the game is in. I have the expansion pack plugged in (the thing you put in that slot on the console itself) and a rumble pack plugges into P1. I've never done any cartridge tilting with this unit, though I wanted to. Any help would be awesome!

2. dj505
    OP

Oct 4, 2014
    Canada
    I'm starting to think it's an issue with the AV cable. Could that be it?

3. Drud1995

Drud1995 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    United States
    Magicant
    Try cleaning the contacts on your cartridge first with Q tips and alcohol. If that doesn't fix it, buy some new AV cables like dj505 mentioned!

4. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    better with acetone (with no perfume or coloring)

5. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai baja boner blast

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    It could also be the console itself.
    RIP dj505's N64.
    But anyways, yeah, clean off the cartridge contacts, and if that doesn't work, try a new AV cable.

6. dj505
    OP

Oct 4, 2014
    Canada
    It's not the cartridge, guys. It does the same thing no matter what game I use. Where can I get a new cable?

7. HarEllis6202

HarEllis6202 GBATemp OldFag

Feb 19, 2015
    United States
    Michigan
    I got mine for 15 from my local store but a GameCube cable from amazon will be enough. I'm looking to get a s-video cable myself.

8. Lucifer666

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension
    I don't know if this is of any help but my N64, which is old as all hell (we got it at launch I think), results in a black screen almost every time I try to switch it on. Always convinces me that nah, it's broken for SURE this time :P

What usually does the trick for me is blowing the cartridge + slot and just re-instering it loads of times until it works. Have you tried that?

9. dj505
    OP

Oct 4, 2014
    Canada
    No, I haven't. That may work actually. I'll test it when I have time next week. Thanks!

10. dj505
    OP

Oct 4, 2014
    Canada
    Well the Gamecube cable does fit and does function (I had one from my actual Gammecube), still nothing happens on screen. So not an issue with the AV cable. Re-seating the game also didn't do anything, though it was definitely a good suggestion. There are no metal contacts missing from the cartridge slot, and cleaning it did nothing. I was going to take it apart, but I don't have the right screwdriver. Is it some form of gamebit that I'd need to order online?

11. Tomato Hentai

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    Nintendo Security Bit Screwdriver

12. dj505
    OP

Oct 4, 2014
    Canada
  13. Thomas83Lin

Thomas83Lin Retro Gamer

Jul 22, 2009
    United States
    Have you tried resitting the expansion pack?

14. dj505
    OP

Oct 4, 2014
    Canada

Yeah... I took it out and put it back in a few times.

15. Sheimi

Sheimi A cute Vixen!

Oct 22, 2009
    United States
    Make sure the RAM expansion pak is in all the way. Try without Rumble Pak. Make sure the cartridge is cleaned (even though you did).

Edit: Ignore above as it was mentioned in other posts. My N64 is kinda the same way with games. Some games will work first try. Other games will take a bit after me blowing the cartridge.

16. Wellington2k

Wellington2k DO YOU HAS?

Nov 1, 2010
    United States
    Somewhere in this world of ours
    Red screen when booting a Nintendo 64 game?
    Completely normal, at least for me. Just clean the contacts of the cartridge and the connector in the console itself.

17. Tomato Hentai

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    I know that you can do that with a credit card covered in cloth with a SNES or SFC, but I don't think I've heard anything about cleaning the N64's cartridge slot.

18. Wellington2k

Wellington2k DO YOU HAS?

Nov 1, 2010
    United States
    Somewhere in this world of ours
    I just clean the connector inside the N64 with canned air and some alcohol.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  19. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Just so you know, it's not actually the blowing into the cartridge that's fixing it, it's the taking out and reinserting of the cartridge that's doing it. The inputs of all of Nintendo's old cartridge-based systems used a method of gold-plated pins on the cartridge side and spring-loaded grabby bits (for lack of a better term) on the console side. Over time, the springs tend to wear out and lose their potential to get a secure connection to the cartridge, but if you kind of wiggle the cartridge around there's a chance that all the pins will line up/one of the springs will get jiggled loose and spring back again. Blowing into the cartridge is actually one of the worst things you can do because it promotes mold and mildew growth on the cartridge, which can actually interrupt the connection in the long run on top of deteriorating the contacts

Tomato Hentai and Lucifer666 like this.
  20. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Fox Princess

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    I had a Super Metroid cart that used to do this after playing for hours then all the save data was erased like some kind of creepy pasta. If I recall the cartridge was unusually hot as well.

Regarding cleaning the cartridge port, an officially licensed N64 cleaning kit exists, I bought one new for $20 3 years ago.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.