Inexperienced Romhacker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
I was playing Kirby on my n64 one day when the screen turned black red and a short, odd noise played. So I turned it off and back on again and the screen just stayed completely black. Can't remember i the power light turned on or not; i thought it might be a fuse inside the console. But the N64 didn't have a fuse, like lots of consoles did. Any time I turn it on the screen remains black and there's no sound, even when the game is in. I have the expansion pack plugged in (the thing you put in that slot on the console itself) and a rumble pack plugges into P1. I've never done any cartridge tilting with this unit, though I wanted to. Any help would be awesome!

Drud1995

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try cleaning the contacts on your cartridge first with Q tips and alcohol. If that doesn't fix it, buy some new AV cables like dj505 mentioned!

D

Deleted User

It could also be the console itself.
RIP dj505's N64.
But anyways, yeah, clean off the cartridge contacts, and if that doesn't work, try a new AV cable.

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know if this is of any help but my N64, which is old as all hell (we got it at launch I think), results in a black screen almost every time I try to switch it on. Always convinces me that nah, it's broken for SURE this time :P

What usually does the trick for me is blowing the cartridge + slot and just re-instering it loads of times until it works. Have you tried that?

dj505

Inexperienced Romhacker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know if this is of any help but my N64, which is old as all hell (we got it at launch I think), results in a black screen almost every time I try to switch it on. Always convinces me that nah, it's broken for SURE this time :P

What usually does the trick for me is blowing the cartridge + slot and just re-instering it loads of times until it works. Have you tried that?

No, I haven't. That may work actually. I'll test it when I have time next week. Thanks!

dj505

Inexperienced Romhacker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
Well the Gamecube cable does fit and does function (I had one from my actual Gammecube), still nothing happens on screen. So not an issue with the AV cable. Re-seating the game also didn't do anything, though it was definitely a good suggestion. There are no metal contacts missing from the cartridge slot, and cleaning it did nothing. I was going to take it apart, but I don't have the right screwdriver. Is it some form of gamebit that I'd need to order online?

D

Deleted User

Well the Gamecube cable does fit and does function (I had one from my actual Gammecube), still nothing happens on screen. So not an issue with the AV cable. Re-seating the game also didn't do anything, though it was definitely a good suggestion. There are no metal contacts missing from the cartridge slot, and cleaning it did nothing. I was going to take it apart, but I don't have the right screwdriver. Is it some form of gamebit that I'd need to order online?

Nintendo Security Bit Screwdriver

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure the RAM expansion pak is in all the way. Try without Rumble Pak. Make sure the cartridge is cleaned (even though you did).

Edit: Ignore above as it was mentioned in other posts. My N64 is kinda the same way with games. Some games will work first try. Other games will take a bit after me blowing the cartridge.

Wellington2k

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Red screen when booting a Nintendo 64 game?
Completely normal, at least for me. Just clean the contacts of the cartridge and the connector in the console itself.

D

Deleted User

Red screen when booting a Nintendo 64 game?
Completely normal, at least for me. Just clean the contacts of the cartridge and the connector in the console itself.

I know that you can do that with a credit card covered in cloth with a SNES or SFC, but I don't think I've heard anything about cleaning the N64's cartridge slot.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Just so you know, it's not actually the blowing into the cartridge that's fixing it, it's the taking out and reinserting of the cartridge that's doing it. The inputs of all of Nintendo's old cartridge-based systems used a method of gold-plated pins on the cartridge side and spring-loaded grabby bits (for lack of a better term) on the console side. Over time, the springs tend to wear out and lose their potential to get a secure connection to the cartridge, but if you kind of wiggle the cartridge around there's a chance that all the pins will line up/one of the springs will get jiggled loose and spring back again. Blowing into the cartridge is actually one of the worst things you can do because it promotes mold and mildew growth on the cartridge, which can actually interrupt the connection in the long run on top of deteriorating the contacts

D

Deleted User

I had a Super Metroid cart that used to do this after playing for hours then all the save data was erased like some kind of creepy pasta. If I recall the cartridge was unusually hot as well.

Regarding cleaning the cartridge port, an officially licensed N64 cleaning kit exists, I bought one new for $20 3 years ago.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs