N64 Game Save Backups

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by AnotherMuggle, Aug 16, 2009.

Aug 16, 2009

N64 Game Save Backups by AnotherMuggle at 10:10 PM (1,671 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. AnotherMuggle
    OP

Newcomer AnotherMuggle Member

United Kingdom
    OK, so the N64 is gradually becoming an old machine and the cartridges are at increased risk of flat batteries and failing EEPROMS.

Is there a current, effective method for backing up game save data from either (or both) the carts and the controller paks? I know there used to be the options such as a DexDrive or the Adaptoid but it seems that these are now extinct and none are floating about on eBay.

I'd be amazed to discover that there is no established method of transferring the game saves to PC, especially as the games are now starting to age.

I look forward to any suggestions, links or general discussions on the subject.

Cheers,
    Tom

2. AnotherMuggle
    OP

Newcomer AnotherMuggle Member

United Kingdom
  3. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    As far as I know the only way to back up saves from a N64 cart is using a device like a CD64/v64. If I remember right it still doesn't give you a physical copy, it just takes them off and saves them onto a memory pak. I've never actually used one though so can't be 100% certain on how they work.

4. radorn

Newcomer radorn Member

Spain
    EEPROMs are not battery backed. They don't need them to retain data.
    Once you write data, they may keep it for a good 10 years. And if you write data to it again, the count is reset, so you have 10 years of data retention from the last time you saved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EEPROM

5. DSAndi

Member DSAndi GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    You can back up gamesaves with the CD64 to the controllerpack within the Gui and also play em back.
    I remember there was also a tool (dos ) that was able to receive Gamesaves to PC.

For DocV64 i think there also was a DS256 Savecartrige wher u could put Gamesaves.
    I bet ther was a programm for aving em to pc too.

6. Argon

Newcomer Argon Member

United States
    If you were to open up one of the carts with SRAM saving (Since I have a few, I'd know), you will see an expiration on the battery.