Hardware N3DS: ..small light stripe on bottom screen, upper corner..

puss2puss

.. well ..
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hi everyone!:grog:
i received a new3DS xl today, (9.0.0U) and i'm kinda woundering if the one i received is normal or deffect.

On the bottom screen, there's a small light stripe (about an inch), in the upper right corner, vertically, under the screen's edge. Its not noticable when looking normally, but you can see it when you inclinate a lot the console.

So, i'm woundering..does it show on every n3ds ?
(ps: if its a normal thing i dont mind, but i just wanna know if its normal or not :hateit: )
thanks! ;)

-Peace.

WigWrm

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like the backlight for the screen. Perfectly normal. Could cause backlight bleed (you might notice when on a black screen that the corner is slightly lit up), but nothing to worry about.

Locke644

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

puss2puss

.. well ..
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
thanks for the reply.

mchief: ..honestly you cant see it with a camera. i've just tryed to take a photo and i cant inclinate it enough to take a picture of it..or else i would have to make a hole in the 3ds to shove in the camera :P
..like i said, its a thin light stripes, vertically, in the upper-right of the bottom screen, under the plastic borders surrounding the screen.

WigWrm: well the backlight seems normal..i'm not talking about the normal backlights that we can notice if we look carefully..i'm talking about a thin bright stripe of light, that stays under the plastic edge in the corner of the screen.. sorry its hard to explain :P

Locke644: thanks, but in the first picture everthing looks fine so i cant compare mine to it, since like i said, its not visible when looking it normally, you have to incliante it to see a bit under the plastic, then you can see the small stripe.. i'm woundering if everyone haves it..

..anyone here have the new3ds? no-one can take 10seconde to look under the screen'S edge to see if there's a thin light stripe? (bottom screen, upper-right corner, under the edge of the screen..)
would be extremely appreciated! ;)
thanks.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
thanks for the reply.

mchief: ..honestly you cant see it with a camera. i've just tryed to take a photo and i cant inclinate it enough to take a picture of it..or else i would have to make a hole in the 3ds to shove in the camera :P
..like i said, its a thin light stripes, vertically, in the upper-right of the bottom screen, under the plastic borders surrounding the screen.

WigWrm: well the backlight seems normal..i'm not talking about the normal backlights that we can notice if we look carefully..i'm talking about a thin bright stripe of light, that stays under the plastic edge in the corner of the screen.. sorry its hard to explain :P

Locke644: thanks, but in the first picture everthing looks fine so i cant compare mine to it, since like i said, its not visible when looking it normally, you have to incliante it to see a bit under the plastic, then you can see the small stripe.. i'm woundering if everyone haves it..

..anyone here have the new3ds? no-one can take 10seconde to look under the screen'S edge to see if there's a thin light stripe? (bottom screen, upper-right corner, under the edge of the screen..)
would be extremely appreciated! ;)
thanks.
not sure exactly what you mean, when i tilt it back the screen looks a little bit brighter along the top edge compared to the rest of the screen, but there is no obvious really bright area

puss2puss

.. well ..
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
thanks for the reply!
yah i'm having a hard time to describe it in english, and without sounding like a retard :P

what i actually mean, is not the normal lights that we see.. its only visible if you inclinate enough to be able to see under plastic case (the plastic surrounding the bottom screen..), in the right border at the total end of the screen....ahhh f*** that i'il photoshop a picture to show where...
here: (this is not my picture! so you cant see the light i'm talking about, i'm just pointing the spot..)
IMG_20150214_183855.jpg

on mine, the light-stripe can be seen where its surrounded in red, but not when looking in front of it..you have to actually inclinate it to see under the plastic edge (where is the red circle..) . when i'm looking under the border, i see i small (about an inch long..) thin light stripe and wanna know if its normal or if no-one else haves it, so that i know if i should go return it for another one today.

And like i said, its not on the image of the screen, its really at the end of the screen, under the palstic border..
i hope some will be able to confirm this for me :)

thanks.
-Peace.

Avalynn

I'm here to learn and help.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the reply!
yah i'm having a hard time to describe it in english, and without sounding like a retard :P

what i actually mean, is not the normal lights that we see.. its only visible if you inclinate enough to be able to see under plastic case (the plastic surrounding the bottom screen..), in the right border at the total end of the screen....ahhh f*** that i'il photoshop a picture to show where...
here: (this is not my picture! so you cant see the light i'm talking about, i'm just pointing the spot..)
IMG_20150214_183855.jpg

on mine, the light-stripe can be seen where its surrounded in red, but not when looking in front of it..you have to actually inclinate it to see under the plastic edge (where is the red circle..) . when i'm looking under the border, i see i small (about an inch long..) thin light stripe and wanna know if its normal or if no-one else haves it, so that i know if i should go return it for another one today.

And like i said, its not on the image of the screen, its really at the end of the screen, under the palstic border..
i hope some will be able to confirm this for me :)

thanks.
-Peace.

Soo that kinda of sounds like you are seeing a a bright light strip on the way side of the screen. I can see a stripe on both sides and that is rather normal practice on how screens are back-lit. Instead of trying to shove tons of leds behind the screen, a couple LEDs, white usually, are in a strip on both sides, or sometimes just one and shown over a diffuser and a reflector in the back. So what you might be seeing is that one of the LEDs are slightly brighter at the origin. Um hmm well here is a bit of a diagram to help me explain what I mean.

LCD Backlight

puss2puss

.. well ..
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
thanks for the reply,
well this is waht i tought it could be, but i find it not natural to havea bright thin stripe on one side and not on the other so i tought, maybe its a small defect and i that i should maybe return it to make sure the problem doesnt become bigger in a month (wich i doubt since it cant really go brighter than it is already..if its just one led..)

When i look at it, it kinda look as if there was another light under the second stick (the C-stick?..kinda..) and if i lower the brightness, the stripe lower too..so it kinda feel 'normal' ..but since its not symetrical with the other side...it doesnt look normal.. just want to make sure :P

Avalynn

I'm here to learn and help.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the reply,
well this is waht i tought it could be, but i find it not natural to havea bright thin stripe on one side and not on the other so i tought, maybe its a small defect and i that i should maybe return it to make sure the problem doesnt become bigger in a month (wich i doubt since it cant really go brighter than it is already..if its just one led..)

When i look at it, it kinda look as if there was another light under the second stick (the C-stick?..kinda..) and if i lower the brightness, the stripe lower too..so it kinda feel 'normal' ..but since its not symetrical with the other side...it doesnt look normal.. just want to make sure :P

Nothing to large to worry about but it's your call, when LEDs are made they are not all created equal, nor are screen panels and that is a definite lol. Since their forward voltages can vary a little during manufacturing, one of them may seem brighter then the others due to slightly higher current. Again I think the backlight is only one side for this screen since it is so small. I just notice it being brighter because on one side is the LED and on the opposite side the light reflects back at that point.

Hmm I noticed five LEDs on the left side of the bottom screen when staring at it when the LCD is completely blue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all