n3DS Savegame exploit

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by tloader, May 5, 2017.

1. tloader
    OP

tloader Newbie

Newcomer
    May 5, 2017
    Netherlands
    Hi All!

I've been reading a lot on GBATEMP lately regarding 3DS hacks and decided to open my own thread!
    Currently I own a n3DS (with CFW) and a n3DS XL (V11.4.0-37E, original)

I am very interested in savegame exploit creation and couldn't find any tutorials on how to get started for the 3DS.

I did look up a savegame from "Disney - Art Academy" and found this starting on 0x00020184: SDcard://Saves/Lessons/16352141924.sg

Would this be a potential entrance for a savegame exploit? (The save itself does look encrypted when I view it using a hex editor..., only this little chunk is readable at the bottom of the save file in profileCard.bin . )

So my question is: Does anybody have a suggestion on where/how to get started?

I'm a decent Java/C#/PHP programmer myself, haven't really tried C++ , but I'm willing to learn that.

2. Filo97

Filo97 Zelda's totally my sister! Not lying!

Oct 8, 2015
    Italy
    Hyrule Castle
    If something has a save file/qr code/supports importing usermade stuff it DOESN'T MEAN that it's an HAX.

tloader and Dionicio3 like this.
  3. tloader
    OP

tloader Newbie

Newcomer
    May 5, 2017
    Netherlands
    Thank you for your reply! I know that.

I thought it might be able to transfer a modified save from a CFW 3DS to a cardridge / use eShop version. And then try to load a different file, instead of the prefered "lesson".

Do you perhaps have any tutorials on how to find loopholes in save data reading?

4. dankzegriefer

dankzegriefer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 19, 2015
    United States
    This thread is useless. Stop making these.

5. Dionicio3

Dionicio3 Some Cool Skiddo

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    Try to crash the game. If you do crash it, repeat the steps again. If it crashes again, do as much research as you possibly can

Bubsy Bobcat likes this.
  6. tloader
    OP

tloader Newbie

Newcomer
    May 5, 2017
    Netherlands
    Thankyou!
    That does sound logical.
    Are there any tutorials on how to debug the generated error (suppose I can make it crash)?

I understand the frustration, this thread is not supposed to be a "oh is the 11.4 version hackable?" one. I am really interested in developing a savegame exploit, and I just try to get some more information :)

7. Dionicio3

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    No, not really, my suggestion is to enable Luma's exception handlers

8. tloader
    OP

tloader Newbie

Newcomer
    May 5, 2017
    Netherlands
    Would it be good to practice using a normal DS, and try to exploit a savegame there? There is a good guide made by cturt available for that!

9. Dionicio3

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    Luma is not on a normal DS, I mean, Luma3DS

10. tloader
    OP

tloader Newbie

Newcomer
    May 5, 2017
    Netherlands
    Yes I understood that, I used the 3ds.guide for hacking and understood that was for the 3DS.

But to 'get used' to savegame exploit creation, would it be better to try to exploit a game on a normal DS ? And when I've succesfully done that, try it with a 3DS ?

11. Dionicio3

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    I really don't know, plus, you cannot "exploit" a DS

12. tloader
    OP

tloader Newbie

Newcomer
    May 5, 2017
    Netherlands
    "Exploiting DS games through stack smash vulnerabilities in save files" - https://cturt.github.io/DS-exploit-finding.html
    This is the tutorial i meant...
    Thank you for your help so far!