TheShadowRunner

I'm like you, I have no name.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Found this small bug pertaining to Brightness level:
In emunand, 3D is (much, depending on your settings) brighter than 2D.
In sysnand, 3D = 2D brightness.

It seems to be linked to the super-stable 3D bug, as in putting the system in standby and resuming brings back the 2D brightness level to normal (equal to 3D).

How to reproduce:
In sysnand, set brighness to 5 and set "auto-brightness" and "power-saving mode" to OFF.
- > toggle between 2D <> 3D, you can see Brightness stays always the same.

But in emunand with same settings as above.
-> toggle between 2D <> 3D, the brightness is _very_ different.

Hoping Gateway can fix..

Reactions: jumpo and satel

Kohmei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think this is merely a byproduct of 3D mode not working until you sleep the console in emunand mode. The brightness level of 3D before you sleep it is too bright, much brighter than maximum brightness on sysnand. My personal speculation is that this is because the system ups the voltage to the screen to enable the parallax barriers, but since the services governing the barriers don't go into effect until you sleep the system, the top screen effectively runs on overdrive.

Needless to say it is very, very bad to enable 3D on the top screen before you sleep it, as I'm nearly sure you risk burning out your screen.

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
I've noticed while in emuNAND and playing Citizens Of Earth, the brightness adjusts one notch up or down occasionally, by itself.

EDIT: Silly me, did not even know N3DS had auto-brightness :lol:

Kohmei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read what you wrote and I think you're confused. You think 2D is lower brightness than normal, but it's actually 3D that's higher brightness than normal, until you correct it by sleeping the system.

Before you correct 3D in emunand by closing the lid, if you enable 3D it will increase your backlight several times greater than what it should be. If you have it on 3, it will appear as though it's 5. If you have it on 5, it would be like what 7 would look like (there is no such thing as 7, so you are burning out your screen)

No one would use 3D in emunand without first sleeping because it's unusable, so this problem is indeed directly related to that problem, and I went on to speculate why... we already know the system uses more power with 3D enabled, this is a fact. It goes to reason that the screen uses more power, and if 3D mode isn't properly initialized, the extra power will come across as an increase in backlight intensity.

GW is already aware of 3D not being initialized without first sleeping the system, and when that's fixed, this will be too since it's part of the same problem.

You will never get the super-high backlight that shows up when you set 3D mode to on while 3D is broken because the screen was never designed to be that bright

TheShadowRunner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read what you wrote and I think you're confused. You think 2D is lower brightness than normal, but it's actually 3D that's higher brightness than normal, until you correct it by sleeping the system.

Before you correct 3D in emunand by closing the lid, if you enable 3D it will increase your backlight several times greater than what it should be. If you have it on 3, it will appear as though it's 5. If you have it on 5, it would be like what 7 would look like (there is no such thing as 7, so you are burning out your screen)

No one would use 3D in emunand without first sleeping because it's unusable, so this problem is indeed directly related to that problem, and I went on to speculate why... we already know the system uses more power with 3D enabled, this is a fact. It goes to reason that the screen uses more power, and if 3D mode isn't properly initialized, the extra power will come across as an increase in backlight intensity.

GW is already aware of 3D not being initialized without first sleeping the system, and when that's fixed, this will be too since it's part of the same problem.

You will never get the super-high backlight that shows up when you set 3D mode to on while 3D is broken because the screen was never designed to be that bright
I've no clue what you're talking about.
3D is enabled on emunand alright. You're talking about Super-stable 3D which has issues until sleep-resume.
I'm not using super-stable 3D at all, so on my system only the Brightness bug shows up in emunand.

It's very simple really, with the exact same settings, on sysnand without any hack 2D = 3D brightness.
On emunand/GW, 2D is noticably less bright than 3D.

Kohmei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not using super-stable 3D at all, so on my system only the Brightness bug shows up in emunand.
This explains it then, as I'm sure most people, myself included, are using super-stable 3D. It's not that super-stable 3D doesn't work before sleep-resume; 3D mode doesn't work at all if you have super-stable enabled. It's completely broken before sleep-resume. Alternating columns of pixels will become misaligned and the backlight gets super bright if you enable 3D before sleep-resume

I went ahead and tested this by disabling super-stable in my sysnand and emunand, and the issue is the same. 3D mode is broken before sleep-resume. Furthermore, the brightness issue is still the same. You are perceiving 2D mode being less bright than 3D mode, which is 100% true. The question is which one is in error. From your viewpoint 2D mode is less bright than it should be, but what is actually the case is 2D mode is fine; it's 3D mode that is MORE bright than it should be. Try comparing not the two modes to each other, but the top screen to the bottom screen. They're a much closer match before you enable 3D, and when you enable 3D, the top screen is much brighter than the bottom screen.

If you still have "no clue" what I'm talking about I don't think anyone can help you, suffice it to say your original assumption that this is related to the super-stable bug is accurate. It's the same bug, you've just misattributed the discrepancy to the mode that isn't actually having the problem

TheShadowRunner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went ahead and tested this by disabling super-stable in my sysnand and emunand, and the issue is the same. 3D mode is broken before sleep-resume.
Not here. Again i'm talking about 3D, NOT super-stable.
3D is working perfectly fine, on emunand, without the need to do anything.
Using Jpn N3DS, 8.1 on sysnand, 9.5 on emunand.
Furthermore, the brightness issue is still the same. You are perceiving 2D mode being less bright than 3D mode, which is 100% true. The question is which one is in error. From your viewpoint 2D mode is less bright than it should be, but what is actually the case is 2D mode is fine; it's 3D mode that is MORE bright than it should be.
Nope, 3D brightness matches lower screen and is fine. 2D is less bright than 3D.
On sysnand (no hack), 2D = 3D = lower screen.
On emunand 3D = lowerscreen >> 2D.
If you still have "no clue" what I'm talking about I don't think anyone can help you, suffice it to say your original assumption that this is related to the super-stable bug is accurate. It's the same bug, you've just misattributed the discrepancy to the mode that isn't actually having the problem
I'm not looking for any help, I'm reporting a bug which hopefully GW will see (they do browse here..)
The workaround to solving the bug is the same as for super-stable but they're obviously different bugs since I disabled super-stable evrywhere (sysnand & emunand).

Kohmei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like an issue with non-XL N3DS and/or 8.1 consoles then

I can't enable 3D mode (in emunand) with or without super stable enabled on my N3DS XL, without the screen becoming totally screwed up. Looks like the left picture here:
deinterlace.png

Except vertical lines instead of horizontal. Moreover I've been through a ton of N3DSXL's while documenting the IPS vs TN screen issue and they all behave this way

I disabled super-stable in both sysnand and emunand too. Seems like this is a hardware difference, which explains why neither of us are seeing what the other is

Kohmei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right, but we already know 8.1 has issues that 9.0+ consoles don't have when creating an emunand. It's reasonable to assume that there are more differences in emunand, even after updating to 9.5 (which mine is as well)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: