n3ds 9.20 downgrade issue

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Timburpton, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Timburpton
    OP

Timburpton GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 18, 2014
    FALSE ALARM, SD CARD ISSUE.

I got a n3ds on 9.4, used OOThax to enter HBL to downgrade.

After the downgrade process started, I got the error message and I thought it was a partial downgrade yet again.

However, now it boots to black screen and upon long press power button, I am able to get to the power menu prompt. When I press home, it only shows the "home menu" screen and doesn't do anything.

Am I bricked?

UPDATE: Seems its an sd card, issue. It boots on removal of sd card. I have since removed the card, formatted it. Its possible that menuhax was the problem since I installed menuhax as well.

UPDATE2: Yeap, partial downgrade again. 2nd n3ds to have partial downgrade. Perhaps this could be added into the guide? @Plailect that partial downgrades are common, at least for n3ds and to not worry and rerun downgrade?

Last edited by Timburpton, Jun 8, 2016
  2. TheKawaiiDesu

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    Well, that's really weird, I never heard of that issue before...
    Can you boot into recovery mode? (A+DPAD Up+L+R)
    If you do, at least you can update to the latest firmware so your console is not totally useless.

3. mudassirul

mudassirul GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2010
    I think it was recommended to use menuhax for downgrades anyhow

4. Purge

Purge GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2016
    United States
    Browserhax worked perfectly for me many times. When I followed plailect's guide back in march I used browserhax every time I was told to use menuhax and everything worked out

5. EmperorOfCanada

EmperorOfCanada GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 4, 2008
    Canada
    Canada
    menuhax has been a lot more stable for this guide in my experience, maybe you were just lucky?

also @Timburpton it does say in the guide this can happen, i guess it could be more clear and say it is LIKELY to happen, but... either way. It does mention it.

6. Timburpton
    OP

Nov 18, 2014
    It mentions a softbrick, I did not get a softbrick.

I got an issue which I guess was related to menuhax.

On the topic of menuhax, I found OOThax to be more reliable for 9.2.0 downgrade

7. EmperorOfCanada

EmperorOfCanada GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 4, 2008
    Canada
    Canada
    16. If you get an error in the middle of installation, follow the instructions in the beginning for partial downgrades

>If PlaiSysUpdater crashes at any point during the downgrade (which can happen occasionally), you can power off the system by holding the power button. You will be left with what's called a "partial downgrade" or "partial", which is recoverable.

Although a partially downgraded system may show 9.2.0 as the system version, you are not done. You must restart from the beginning and downgrade a second time to install any files that were not installed. Browserhax will work for partial downgrades as long as you are using the recommended version of PlaiSysUpdater.

8. Timburpton
    OP

Nov 18, 2014
    Yeah, it says it can happen but it doesnt say that its very common.