Homebrew RELEASE N-Xplorer

Do you intuitively understand how the sub menu works?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CompSciOrBust

🤔
OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
N-Xplorer

Github link

N-Xplorer is a file browser and editor inspired by VitaShell.

Change log

0.7.2 (Not yet released)
This build is compiled with libnx 3.1.0 which fixes a timezone bug.
Support was added for sys-tune by @HookedBehemoth (this sys module needs to be installed desperately)
My switch is still bricked so none of the bugs introduced in the last version are fixed.

0.7.1 - My switch broke so here's a half baked update edition
Fixed bug that causes segfault after installing a N-Xplorer update.
Fixed bug that causes file extensions not to be recognized if a file name contains more than one dot.
Zip extraction now extracts to a folder. Leave the name empty to extract to the current folder.
Added ability to theme the settings UI.
Fixed crash when copying a file smaller than 0.25 GB.
Added more sorting options (not fully implemented).
Again thanks to @Muxi for testing.

Changed "Copy" in the sub menu to "Select" to clear up confusion.
Added code for sorting the files by size and name (descending and ascending).
Altered behavior of the B button. End users shouldn't notice much of a difference.
Added settings GUI (press minus to open).
Began adding theme support.
Added ability to mount saves (experimental).
Improved file copying speeds.
Added zip extraction.
Added in app self updater.
Thank you to @Muxi for testing a lot of things for me before release.

Added parental controls when accessing nand filesystems.
Fixed bug that mounted the user partition to both user:/ and sys:/.
Added GUI save options to the text editor (Save and exit, save as and exit, and exit without saving). This was requested by @one-piece .
Removed the negative button functionality in the text editor. That is now in the GUI.

N-Xplorer now remembers the cursor position when going back a directory.
When creating a new folder if the folder already exists a number is appended on the end. This mimics the behavior of how Microsoft Windows does it.
Support was added for the user and system partitions on the nand. Be careful when doing things here as you could brick your system or corrupt save data.

Moved GUI and input to separate threads.
Fixed bug that caused N-Xplorer to crash under some circumstances while copying, moving, or deleting a file.
Fixed rare bug that could cause the file copying message to display indefinitely.
Added message for when files are being deleted.
Added zooming and rotating to the image viewer.
Added seconds to the clock.
Changed the plus button to exit instead of opening the sub menu.
Added ability to move images around the screen in the image viewer using the left stick.
Added ability to exit the text editor without saving by pressing minus (temporary for now, requested by @one-piece ).
Added fast movement using the left and right buttons.
probably other stuff I'm forgetting.
Generally more stable than 0.6.1.
Thank you to @Muxi and discord user qpwoei for helping to test this release.

This version fixes some issues people were having with copying / moving files and adds a on screen message when files are being copied.

First release after the rewrite. Uses a lot of the same logic but rewritten to be more maintainable and less buggy. First release I have made a public announcement about.

Old release. Very buggy. Shouldn't be used.

Info

Credits:
I did most of the work. I'm using @NicholeMattera 's ini parser library for theming and the settings. @Muxi has been really helpful with testing things for me. I stole a lot of code for the updater from @XorTroll 's Goldleaf. @WerWolv for helping me with save mounting.
The AtlasNX dev chat has been very helpful with this and other projects.

Controls:
Main UI:
Up / Down buttons - navigate the list.
Left / Right - quick navigation.
A - Open file / folder.
B - Go up a directory.
Y - Open sub menu.
+ is quit and - is used to open the settings menu.

Settings menu:
Up / Down buttons - move up and down the list.
A - Select an option.
+ / - / B exit the settings.

Text editor:
Up / Down - change lines.
Right - Add line.
Left - Remove line.
A - Edit line.
B - Open save and exit options.

Image viewer:
Up / Down - Zoom in and out.
Left / Right - Rotate image.
Left stick - Move image.
B - Exit.

Planned features:
Improvements to the image viewer
A music player (as a strech goal this would be a sysmodule that N-Xplorer interfaces with so music can be played in the background of games)
Themeing (partially added in 0.7.0)
FTP server
Sort by date created / modified
Alternative browser views
Partial or full touch support
Video player (stretch goal)
NSP installer (very basic nothing like gold leaf)
Hex editor
Faster file copying

Screenshot_1.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg

Screenshot_3.jpg

Discord link if you want to test new releases

Last edited by CompSciOrBust,

CompSciOrBust

🤔
OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
I thank you and I'll try this program next time I'm on HBM/HBB....it is on HBB, right?
I haven't asked them to add it but they added my previous two releases without me needing to ask so it might be on there soon. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Awesome work! Can you add usb connection just like vitashell?
That's something I'd like to add but I'm not sure how just yet.

MUDD_BR

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Reactions: CompSciOrBust

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Take a look on this
It isn't the exact same thing...it's like, "Hey, did you know Burger King makes burgers? I know! Like they want to be Wendy's or McDonalds!!"

or, "Hey, have you heard about sliced bread? Yeah, now there's this guy making bread with sesame seeds!:

Reactions: MUDD_BR

MUDD_BR

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It isn't the exact same thing...it's like, "Hey, did you know Burger King makes burgers? I know! Like they want to be Wendy's or McDonalds!!"

or, "Hey, have you heard about sliced bread? Yeah, now there's this guy making bread with sesame seeds!:
You’re right sir, sorry. I’ve just remebered that gem and maybe it could be useful for some tests.

Reactions: H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that gem and maybe it could be useful for some tests.
Possibly, but people sometimes get mad if your code closely resembles another project. I guess I'm reading further as you're "saying", "Look at this guy, he already did it, don't be a copycat."
Although, I also read it as, "take this guys' code and implement it in your work."

The response I should have left (to you) should have been more like, "Everyone has their own way of going about these things as to not "steal" code or not credit people for their work."

But....here we are.

iriez

Trophies
Website
www.xbins.org
XP
Country
United States
I haven't asked them to add it but they added my previous two releases without me needing to ask so it might be on there soon. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's something I'd like to add but I'm not sure how just yet.

Well, everythings a bit hackey at this time and point. SX OS has a built in usb driver that sx installer and tinfoil uses to "natively" access windows partitions, but everyone else relies upon applications like ns-usbloader to provide the data.

https://github.com/developersu/ns-usbloader/
&
https://github.com/liuervehc/nxmtp/
&
https://github.com/retronx-team/mtp-server-nx

There are applications like rajkosto's memloader that work for RCM based USB connections, but afaik won't help you for horizon stack access.

AFAIK full usb access is either not supported or currently very buggy in libnx, which I presume is the reason why developrs use accompanying client side software like ns-usbloader or NUT.

Thanks for the file manager :) Looking forward to future releases. I personally was never able to get MTP to work.

Last edited by iriez,

CompSciOrBust

🤔
OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
Possibly, but people sometimes get mad if your code closely resembles another project. I guess I'm reading further as you're "saying", "Look at this guy, he already did it, don't be a copycat."
Although, I also read it as, "take this guys' code and implement it in your work."

The response I should have left (to you) should have been more like, "Everyone has their own way of going about these things as to not "steal" code or not credit people for their work."

But....here we are.
Even if something's open source I usually ask the original dev before taking large sections of code to make sure it's alright first and make sure I give them proper credit. It's usually alright but I guess we'll see once I'm ready to add usb support.

Well, everythings a bit hackey at this time and point. SX OS has a built in usb driver that sx installer and tinfoil uses to "natively" access windows partitions, but everyone else relies upon applications like ns-usbloader to provide the data.

https://github.com/developersu/ns-usbloader/
&
https://github.com/liuervehc/nxmtp/
&
https://github.com/retronx-team/mtp-server-nx

There are applications like rajkosto's memloader that work for RCM based USB connections, but afaik won't help you for horizon stack access.

AFAIK full usb access is either not supported or currently very buggy in libnx, which I presume is the reason why developrs use accompanying client side software like ns-usbloader or NUT.

Thanks for the file manager :) Looking forward to future releases. I personally was never able to get MTP to work.

I think the usb support the others were talking about was mtp. Vitashell doesn't do mtp exactly but it's pretty close. Thanks. I was never able to get mtp to work properly either but I put it down to cheap usb cables rather than bugs.

Muxi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Very good tool with promising planned features and improvements. Would it be possible to add a status bar to monitor the progress of the operations? Support for unpacking zip and rar archives, for example, would also be desirable.

CompSciOrBust

🤔
OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
Very good tool with promising planned features and improvements. Would it be possible to add a status bar to monitor the progress of the operations? Support for unpacking zip and rar archives, for example, would also be desirable.
Sure. I already had zip support planned actually I just forgot to add it to the main post. I'm not sure if I can add rar support but I'll look in to it. I'll probably use a pop up window instead of displaying operation progress in the status bar. I was going to use the status bar but I don't want it getting too crowded.

Reactions: MUDD_BR and Muxi

Muxi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'll probably use a pop up window instead of displaying operation progress in the status bar. I was going to use the status bar but I don't want it getting too crowded.
I was the one who did the issue report on your github. At first I thought the tool hung up during the copy process, but it didn't. I only had to assume that because there was no reaction for a long time. Therefore a status display would be useful, as it is the case with NX-Shell.

Reactions: CompSciOrBust

CompSciOrBust

🤔
OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
Hey comp shoot me a pm. Need to relay some info thats not public atm.
I dm'd you on discord (or someone with your username in AtlasNX anyway). Edit: Yeah it's you we seem to have a chat history already where I confirmed it was the same person behind your GBATemp account.

CompSciOrBust

🤔
OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
N-Xplorer is way better, vgedit feels somewhat buggy.
To be fair with some more robust testing I'm sure N-Xplorer's text editor will show a lot of bugs. I wrote it months ago at 3 AM with barely any SDL2 experience. I know of at least one bug that can cause it to freeze if there are too many characters on one line but I can probably fix that it it becomes a issue people actually experience (I think you'd need a few hundred or maybe even thousand characters on one line to trigger it).
Edit: I did rewrite a lot of it but a lot of the logic didn't change because I saw no better way to do it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"