my sky3ds refuses to work?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by suxiaotong, May 13, 2015.

1. suxiaotong
    OP

suxiaotong Newbie

Newcomer
    May 13, 2015
    so i have a sky3ds and i've been following everything correctly and i have opened the discwriter with the newest template in it. i have also downloaded the rom of correct region onto my computer. so why is it that when i click "write" in the diskwriter and select the game that nothing happens? like, no error message, just nothing. as though i didn't click anything at all.

can someone help me please i've literally had like 50 complications so far and i'm so done with it haha.

2. InfoFront

InfoFront Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 23, 2015
    United States
    Are you running diskwriter as an administrator?

Megaben99 likes this.
  3. chin261

chin261 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 24, 2005
    Senegal
    Did you format the micro sd using disk writer?

4. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tuvalu
    Have you tried yelling at it.

5. Osmosis

Osmosis Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.

Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    Yelling at it only makes it worse. Trust me.

First off, is the game an eShop game? If it is an eShop game in .3DS format, you can't use it. Fin. You may only use RETAIL dumps in .3DS format. No .3DZ or .CIA or eShop .3DS games.

Make sure you have Diskwriter 2.02b1 and both the templateXXXX.txt file and the SETTINGS.INI file that goes with it (next to the template link on DOWNLOADS from Sky3DS site). Put them all in your Diskwriter folder and overwrite the old SETTINGS.INI file.

Make sure your mSD is formatted in FAT32 before you use Diskwriter's FORMAT. Once you have formatted from within Diskwriter, you should be able to write the game to mSD.

If not, here's some solutions:

1) Go DL your .3DS game again. It's probably a bad/broken copy. No, I can't tell you where. So don't ask.

2) Don't use any USB hubs/extensions, or try a different mSD>USB dongle if you have one. Don't use mSD>SD adapters either. Diskwriter doesn't like that.

3) Go into Diskwriter, REFORMAT. Then format the mSD as NTFS from Windows. Then back to FAT32. Then try using FORMAT again in Diskwriter.

4) Turn off Windows's USER ACCOUNT CONTROL entirely. It's annoying, you should have done this already a long time ago.

5) Not only try running in Admin mode, but also turn off any Antivirus, Malware, or system scanning services. This goes for your Firewall/Antivirus software as for the new versions of CCleaner. Any Windows Defender software should also be disabled. For COMODO users, this also means ANTIVIRUS, AUTO-SANDBOX, and VIRUSCOPE need to be disabled. Firewall is okay...

6) Make sure you have the proper .NET framework installed on Windows. Try running Windows Update or check if .NET framework is installed. Do so by clicking INSTALLED UPDATES in REMOVE/UNINSTALL A PROGRAM in Windows. Look for anything that says .NET FRAMEWORK. Make sure you have it. Update it.

7) Make sure you are running Diskwriter from your HDD and not from any SD cards or flash drives. It needs proper .NET access and you don't want Diskwriter getting confused about erasing itself. This is important for anyone running on small PCs or tablets that use SD card storage.

8) Make sure your user account is an ADMINISTRATOR account. This should bypass having to use RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR entirely nor will it restrict Diskwriter from certain .NET system access. If you don't know how to make yourself an ADMIN, google it. There are plenty of tools and tutorials on how to do so, even if you are a USER account.

9) Try a different mSD if you have one. If it works, then your other mSD needs to be REFORMATted back to working condition. Then format it in NTFS and back to FAT32. If this still does not work, go install EaseUS Partition Master. Find your mSD and DELETE ALL PARTITIONS. Then REBUILD MBR and select Windows 7. Then Format the mSD as NTFS. APPLY. Go back to windows and see if it works. If so, format it again as FAT32 and then try FORMATting it in Diskwriter again.

My money says your mSD isn't properly formatted. It's been this way since day one.

If it gives you any prompts write them down. If it crashes, make sure to click on DETAILS. You're probably going to see a JIT error. It has to do with the SETTING.INI file and .NET Framework.

Bad news is, if you formatted in a crashing version of Diskwriter, your mSD will have to be wiped and refreshed from scratch. Again, go get EaseUS Partition Master.

6. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    My cats breath smells like cat food

7. Osmosis

Osmosis Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.

Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    My dog's breath smells like anything BUT dog food... How ya doin' Ron?

8. gbatempnoob

gbatempnoob Member

Newcomer
    May 14, 2015
    United States
    So I'm assuming games such as Pushmo in .3ds format does NOT work on the sky3ds since the game is originally an eShop game?