My first 360

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Steevsee, Aug 11, 2009.

Aug 11, 2009

My first 360 by Steevsee at 4:21 AM (825 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Steevsee
    OP

Newcomer Steevsee Advanced Member

Australia
    Hi to all.
    Finally got my first xbox 360 two days ago. (I know! But better late than never, right?)
    I bought it secondhand and it came with power and video leads but nothing else.

It was sold with RROD and when I tested, it did indeed display three red leds.
    I've had a fair bit of electronics/computer experience and after installing a RROD repair kit, manged to get four green lights. Lovely!

However when I tried to boot the console, it displays the xbox 360 graphic the then says"updating".
    Then says "Disc not detected - Can't find update disc - Please reinsert the disc -press A to continue"
    I have tried to install a system update which I downloaded from the official xbox site, and burned to a cd but says "update failed.. contact microsoft support".(also tried a Dvd with same result)

I don't have any 360 games yet but have a large library of original xbox titles and tried to load one but still looks for update file.

I've been reading about some 360 bricks but I think they are mostly associated with flashing the dvd, and I'm pretty sure the drive has not been flashed as the warranty seal was intact.
    Seems like I have no system installed? The fact that the dashboard can't load makes me guess that i have a corrupt or incomplete installation of the system files?

Anyone have any ideas about what I could try next?
    Appreciate all suggestions as I am total noob in 360 land.
    Thanks

2. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    googling around suggest using a HD with all current updates applied fixes this issue once its up and running you no longer need the borrowed hd [​IMG]

note some say this did not work either! ..But worth trying [​IMG]

3. Steevsee
    OP

Australia
    Just a quick update in case anyone else has the same problem.
    I finally manged to complete the update and now have a fully functioning 360.
    Downloaded all of the dasboard updates( 12 different) and tried one by one(via USB) until I found the one that worked.

4. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    great news

i also had some problems when updating for some strange reason, i managed to get it working by doing the USB one on the MS website and then i updated through live and it alll worked out

you said 12 different dashboard updates....do you mind linking them to me, the internet here is a mess and i'd rather do offline updates if possible

thanks.

5. Steevsee
    OP

Australia
    Here is the link to the forum where I found the dashboard updates.

6. JesseB

Member JesseB GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Glad you got it all sorted out. 360s are the best.