Hacking My DSL got a hinge crack...

rubsnick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo is going to repair it for $50 but I want to know if there is anythign I can do to prolong the life of this hinge? Should I just crazy glue the sucker? Would that be a temporary or permanent fix? Or what should I do over all? Also I have a Hori Screen Protector on my touch screen.... How the heck to I even take the damn thing off? XD I can't seem to find a place to grab it from. Anyways is it possible to fix this crack withouht paying Nintendo? (Don't care much for cosmetics)

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the only way to fix the crack is to replace the shell. and unless you know what you're doing, paying $50 is probably the safer and cheaper way to go.

a new case can be had for about $12-15 from dealextreme.com, however the quality or many of them, while nice, is not the same ridgidness/sturdiness as the oem cases. in addition, unless you have patience and are good at working with small electronics, my suggestion would be to simply pay the $50 rather than risk damaging something else in your system (eg. the microphone and/or wi-fi antennae wires or the flexible cable leading to the top display).

some of the people who I've helped in the past would have saved themselves and me a lot of grief had they not attempted to repair their systems themselves.

as far as a preventative measure, the things that you can do in the future are as follows:
- never open up your ds lite beyond the first click (which is almost flat). opening the system so that the face opens completely flat puts unnecessary stress on the plastic surround the axle hinge.
- always try to open the system from the center or left side of the top half [d-pad side] (not from the right (like most right-handed people tend to do), doing so slightly "tweaks" the top half and places unnecessary stress on the left side of the system where the axle hinge is.

edit:
you don't want to crazy glue it. doing so will melt the plastic, weakening it as well as potentially gluing the axle hinge (which would then cause you to snap the system in half when trying to force it open).

rubsnick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright thanks I was just wanting a temp fix so that I could finish most of my DS games and then send it off. I'm good with small electronics (I studied it in high School and got a certificate) but I just feel it's overall better and less stressful then to deal with it. I hate opening things with hinges XD That's why I'm so confident with my PSP faceplate change is a sinch, so is screen replacement I've pretty much dismantled my PSP's ... anyways I am gonna do a shell replacement for another Hinge but on the DS Fat but I feel more confident on that once since it's bigger and there is more room to play. Got the shell of ebay with a whole kit of tools (even tough I have my own) Anyways Thanks for the suggestions but I'm looking just for a temporary fix so it won't get worse till I can send it off... Thanks for the prevention tips but those where kind of things that I was already doing ya know? *sigh* My DS's haven't had the greatest track records....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans