Must-have DS Accessories?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Novalon, Aug 27, 2008.

Aug 27, 2008

Must-have DS Accessories? by Novalon at 7:58 AM (2,136 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. Novalon
    OP

Newcomer Novalon Member

United States
    Greetings!

I recently got an Ice Blue DS Lite but want to know what extra accessories I need. I'm planning on ordering a Hori screen protector since some of the heavily stylus oriented games are notorious for damaging the touch screen.

Anyway, does anyone have recommendations for DS armor and pouches? Play-asia has a DS Protect Armor, which is said to not only protect the DS well but also make it more comfortable to hold; since it's out of stock, I would appreciate some other nominations. I've looked through the pouches but I can't really decide on a definitive one; I could say I'm looking for the best and most reliable extras to keep the DS in a condition as pristine as possible.

2. Wabsta

Member Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Netherlands
    The cool pink my little pony keychain-like thing for your DS!

J/k, does Guitar Grip also count as accesory?

3. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    If you're into Space Invaders Extreme, you might like the paddle controller. Arkanoid DS, the only other game that uses it (so far?) is awful.

4. AppleJuice

Member AppleJuice GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Arkanoid DS isn't awful, it's just Arkanoid, that's what Arkanoid is like.
    The DS version even has WiFi. I thought it was fun.

5. jaywilson

Member jaywilson GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    i think theres a patch/hack for use with mario karts

6. Novalon
    OP

Newcomer Novalon Member

United States
    These are interesting extras but perhaps, I phrased my question incorrectly. I'm basically looking for some accessories to protect my DS; not extras for any particular game. To reiterate, I am in search of products I should obtain so that I don't inadvertently scratch my DS anywhere. Also, I don't see how the paddle controller would be all that superior in comfort when compared to the original DS controls.

Anyway, I got this idea of comfort when I was reading a review of the Protect Armor DS, which some reviewer claimed to exterminate right angle induced palm aches. Since I often use the DS for comprehensive amounts of time, a comfortable grip would certainly be a must-have item for me.

7. gosp

Member gosp GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    You really don't need anything. I would recommend a Hori Screen Protector simply because it's easier to clean.

8. Panzer Tacticer

Member Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Canada
    Well if you mean protect in a BIG way, something like this is cool.

http://www.zellers.com/stores/shop/product...828188/57828188

Because sometimes just putting a shell over it isn't always enough.

If you drop your DS and all it has is some lightweight shell, chances are reasonable it might STILL get damaged.

Granted, the carry case won't protect your DS if you are holding it while playing and you're just plain clumsy [​IMG]

9. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    This is an insult to Arkanoid. Arkanoid ran at a frame rate fast enough that even when the ball was moving fast, you could actually tell what was going on. Arkanoid DS is crippled by its framerate, once the ball gets moving fast it becomes a slideshow, it's hugely disorientating and for them not to factor in framerate in a game where stuff moves fast and you need to judge its trajectory is stupid.

10. m3rox

Member m3rox GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I recommend one of the special video game related styluses. I used a Kirby stylus for over a year before it finally cracked at the tip, but it never wore down and never scratched the screen. You'll notice that if you buy the mad catz styluses, they'll wear down and start scratching up your screen.

Also, the wrist strap, even though it's impossible to play with it around your arm.

11. Curley5959

Member Curley5959 CCC Member!

Australia
    I have a Mario stylus (doesn't fit in lite or phat hole) Came with a k-zone magazine but i ended up shoving it in the back of my cupboard because its so gay.. [​IMG]

12. mixinluv2u

Member mixinluv2u GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    maybe it's my protector (i use bestskinsever), but....

i tried the Pro Battle Stylus for a while, but on stylus intensive games it totally scratched up my screen protector. i have circular marks from Elite Beat Agent and vertical marks from Ninja Gaiden.

my girlfriend tried using the pen sized stylus that came as a freebie with the Pro Battle Stylus, and scratched up her screen protector horribly playing Cooking Mama, too.

i don't think anything can beat the original stylus by Nintendo.

13. Sumea

Member Sumea Disco Ninja Frog

Finland
    screen protector for touch screen, thats ALL MUST HAVE things.

anything else is just "a + in fun" -accessories

14. Eon-Rider

Member Eon-Rider GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    I have that too. =D

As for the actual topic, there isn't much more you than screen protectors and a crystal/silicon case.

15. gofret

Newcomer gofret Member

Tunisia
  16. Novalon
    OP

Newcomer Novalon Member

United States
    Anent styli, the Nintendo DS Lite Pro Battle one sounds great although I'm wary because of what mix said. Can someone else corroborate this? Was he referring to the Mk. II or the older model? Anyway, does the aforementioned stylus also supposed to make it harder to scratch one's DS?

I've also ordered the invisibleSHIELD after reading a review but it recommended not using the included screen protectors as they would supposedly make the screen look blurry; the review recommended the Hori screen protectors as an alternative. Is anyone else doing this?

17. TossGirl

Newcomer TossGirl Advanced Member

United States
    I think the best screen protector is probably Hori, I've been using them for awhile and as long as you wipe your touch screen and your main screen it's perfect!

Also you might want to check out a case for your DS, i'm using a Crystal Clear Case 2. Yes there is a upgrade from the first one.