Gaming Multi-game carts?

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm curious about these types of releases, they look interesting.
http://www.shopono.com/products/F02%252d250-Super-Game-Card-32G-Multi-Games-250-In-1-For-NDS%7B47%7DNDSL%7B47%7DNDSi%7B47%7DNDS-XL.html

This item reeks of mass-produced wholesale china. It's got 218 games all in one cartridge, and other listings of it claim to be 32g, which I suspect means 32gb. They also claim to "save" on some sites.

Are these basically pre loaded flash carts? I'm currently happy with my Acekard2i, but I was wondering what people's experiences with these things have been. Do they typically break after a few uses? I was thinking of getting one purely for the lulz, and please advise me against it if you don't think it's a good idea.

Of course, as I'm not too familiar with this website, I might blow $20 bucks for nothing and never see my product... that's the risk.

What do you think?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i have a few of them for gba. some of them are actual flash kits. others are cards that you can not reflash. they usually contain partial games. there is no way to fit 96 gba games on one cart, so it will end up being that you get a level or 2 in and the game simply stops responding. some of the cards which have old school stuff on them just feature gba emulation.

when buying gba cards you need to be careful because some look like gba cards but were actually for specific chinese systems, like the 1 station.

i have a few multi-psx disks that are the same story. they have games with ripped fmv, audio, and sometimes just end after a certain level.

i also have some multi-carts for the nes. i have a 72-in-1 which again has some partial games on it. i also have a 100-in-1 that just has a bunch of the same game renamed with different names.

the one you linked to looks like it might be a cheap flash kit with a 32 gig card filled with trimmed nds files. but use caution, you might end up buying something that isn't what it claims to be.

-another world

Xarsah16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh wow, I didn't even think about that. I typically thought they just put the whole game on there, considering that the game files themselves are not actually that large once trimmed down. But with that number, yeah, it's very possible because every piece of data adds up.

How's the hardware usually? Does it break down easily? or are these things virtually indestructable? lol. This is exactly what I love about China...

Peter Gatens

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i am wondering if we buy this card, it means the card itself already includes many games inside with the 32G, can we edit the files inside, can we delete some and add some more...or it is just only read and un-writeable.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
its probably a flash kit, like a cheap r4 that cost $1 to make, with a 32 gig card inserted. they put it in a new shell so you can't get to the 32gb card. i'd be pretty surprised if it was a NAND chip or something.

-another world

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Oh this brings back memories.... unpleasant ones at that. Pretty much all Another World said but all the ones I have seen are non-modifiable and while you get over 9000 games (sorry couldn't resist) most of which are terribad, so you'd prob just play the a few, usually the ones shown on the cover. Some work perfectly fine (like some of my GBA and GBC ones) while others can be problematic; refusing to load, savefile corruption etc. While I cannot guarantee whether this particular one will be good or bad, I personally recommend you to save the cash for something better.

PS: Still pretty sore about losing hours and hours of gameplay on my Pokemon game. Lost a shiny too. *sigh* All because the internal battery mucked up, causing all save files to disappear and preventing any new save files. Then again that IS for the GBA ones. :(

its probably a flash kit, like a cheap r4 that cost $1 to make, with a 32 gig card inserted. they put it in a new shell so you can't get to the 32gb card. i'd be pretty surprised if it was a NAND chip or something.

-another world

Haven't dissected my cousin's cart but from what I can see, it seems like a normal DS cart. Then again, you could be right. Maybe the card is hidden inside?

@lacrymosa967: You know what? Let's just get it and dissect it to see what is inside. XD

Xarsah16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Lol, I would, but I don't have that much money to throw it away XD I'd at least want it to be playable.

Also, the lost save files in pokemon because of the internal batteries - I know that feel bro. My Gen II games don't save anymore and the files are lost.

As far as that multi cart goes - I actually do want to see if there's a micro sd card in there though... maybe I'll buy it, lol. It's uncharted territory for me.

@Another world - That's awesome that your NES carts are still working, I'm jealous. I wish I still had my NES accessible, and I wish I had one of those kinds of carts for it. This topic brings back memories of those controllers I used to see in the mall for $20 that plug directly into the TV and have the games pre-loaded in them. I wanted one of those soooo bad when I was younger.

It really boggles my mind though - my acekard was 14 bucks, my microSD card was 13. 27 bucks later, I have a fully customizable cartridge with 8gb of space. The prices these people charge for this stuff... I saw the same cartridge that I linked on Craigslist for $60, lol. They tried to pass it off as an official Nintendo cart, lol :D

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/vgm/2953564366.html

SaddQ

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I bought a GBA multicart once, with, among others, Mario Kart: Super Circuit and Pokemon FR/LG/R/S/E. Also, it contained lots of NES games, most of them bad.
There was terrible slowdown in the GBA games, especially in Mario Kart, and the Pokemon FR game crashed in the first village. I returned the game to Thailand and got my money refunded (minus shipping).

I don't know if a DS multicart features the same slowdown. I'd guess not, but I'm not taking any chances anymore. And why would I, with all the flash carts I own?

I still remember the NES multicart phenomenon though. Games like 24-in-1 and Super Hi-K 13-in-1 with awesome games like Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers, Jackie Chan's Action Kung-Fu, Ninja Gaiden III, TMNT III and the unforgettable Super Mario Bros 4 (i.e. hack of Armadillo).
Those were good times, the wonderful early 90s. :lol:

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

-another world
I took apart a fireline, there was no card at all. I find that disappointing now that I've corrupted a microSD..

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
This topic brings back memories of those controllers I used to see in the mall for $20 that plug directly into the TV and have the games pre-loaded in them. I wanted one of those soooo bad when I was younger.

i collect those when i can find them for cheap. i just picked up an atari 2600 paddle version for $5 at a swap meet.

I took apart a fireline, there was no card at all. I find that disappointing now that I've corrupted a microSD..

could you post a few photos of the inside, front and back?

cheers,
-another world

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

could you post a few photos of the inside, front and back?

cheers,
-another world
I don't have the cartridge anymore, just the chip. There was nothing special in on it anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things