MP4 player homebrew possible?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by fatboynate, Dec 7, 2014.

1. fatboynate
    OP

fatboynate Bringer of Freedom

Mar 10, 2014
    Chad
    File Hosts
    im just wondering, its it possible to port or create a mp4 player for the 3ds, i'd love to be able to store walkthroughs on my 3ds for easy viewing when on my travels, load the mp4 files from the sd card and run the mp4 player from a 3ds file or cia on emunand

2. lampdemon

lampdemon GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2013
    Canada
    Where the land sea lions live.
    Seems like a waste, you can already convert videos to play on the 3ds with ffmpeg and other programs.

3. fatboynate
    OP

Mar 10, 2014
    Chad
    File Hosts
    yeah but only 10 mins long

4. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    i dont see why it wouldn't be possible in some way, but like every other homebrew, it'll end up taking half a year to take any kind of form if anyone bothers to start making it.

the real question is, if you really want to carry several gb of playthrough footage per game just for the occasional need to check what to do?
    you'll have much bigger chances with text walkthroughs, since a text reader is usually among the early homebrews for any portable system and they're not really hard to code

5. kedest

kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 6, 2007
    Netherlands
    A port of VLC Player would be the best. No idea about the technical possibility of it though, it's just a thought

Coltonamore and Theyrealone like this.
  6. fatboynate
    OP

Mar 10, 2014
    Chad
    File Hosts
    well if my understanding is close then it shouldnt be that hard since i have made a mp3 player for android before that was basically a clone of the walkman from w810 so i guess a mp4 player is the same, i just dont know anything of the 3ds software, or hardware. i found it confusing just trying to conver 3ds files to cia lol

7. Rinnegatamante

Rinnegatamante GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 24, 2014
    Italy
    Bologna
    Not an MP4 player but a video player yes:
    :D

8. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    The 10min limit was already mentioned, but you're also facing a 20fps cap. So any movies or shows you convert will look choppy as they're going from 24/30fps to 20.

9. dontay0100

dontay0100 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 18, 2007
    United States

Then why does Netflix look bomb?

10. OllieD

OllieD Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2008
    Because the Netflix App is a separate app and therefore does not suffer the horrible Frame-limit Cap. :P

Celice and TecXero like this.
  11. ILOVEPIE

ILOVEPIE Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2012
    United States
    I'm working on a video player that should be able to play anything playable through VLC or MPC-HC. It will also have subtitle support, however it won't work with the current version of ninjhax as the 3dsx file is bigger than the 8 Megabyte file-size limit, apparently there's a ninjhax update coming out soon that will fix that.

12. Rinnegatamante

Rinnegatamante GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 24, 2014
    Italy
    Bologna
    It's very rough the video format i used for the sample but i reached full speed with video playback (now i'll work to audio support):