Most Under-rated Wii Games

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by GeekyGuy, Mar 29, 2009.

Mar 29, 2009

Most Under-rated Wii Games by GeekyGuy at 3:03 PM (1,536 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    I just checked the stickies and was surprised to see we don't yet have a thread for this. I'm not vying to make this the "official" thread for it or anything, unless a mod wants to do so, but after playing through Monsters vs. Aliens for Wii, I felt compelled to put it on such a list. I'm sure at this point -- with millions of Wiis sold and tons of games now crammed into the library -- there have to be other under-rated/overlooked games to put on this list.

As an aside, if you regularly download games to play on a modded console and were thinking of just brushing off Monsters vs. Aliens, don't; it's one of those rare games based on a movie that's very fun. I don't just mean that it doesn't suck -- it's fun. It's easy, of course, but the level design has had some serious love put into it.

2. Nasedase

Newcomer Nasedase Advanced Member

United States
    Tales of Symphonia 2. It was like abyss gameplay with symphonia story and characters. Thats just awesome.

3. MADKATZ99

Member MADKATZ99 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    I didn't think rampage was too bad if you've got someone else to play with... Overpriced, I think we paid like $90 for it or something ridiculous but if you're going to get it for free and you're looking for a bit of fun in a multiplayer game it's totally worth it.

TMNT wasn't too bad either but the fighting style does get pretty old quick.

Cabela's was pretty fun too.

Of course I wouldn't recomend anyone buying them unless they're loaded in green but if you've got a modchip and you've got time to kill, and have a love for killing animals, I thought those games were alright.

Oh, I had fun with Need For Speed carbon too.

What kind of maximum IGN rating are we talking for a game to fit into the 'under-rated' category?

4. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Well, that's probably a relative thing. Even a game getting a 7 or 7.5, I think, could be considered under-rated if you think it was really great or something folks really shouldn't miss.

5. Warm Woolly Shee

Member Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Mushroom Men!

6. leonster

Newcomer leonster Member

Korea, South
    Excite Truck!

Critically, it was well-received... but I just have this feeling the public ignored it. I think it's as good as Mario Kart--the two best racers on the Wii (that I've played, anyways), but Mario Kart gets tons of attention while Excite Truck is seen as an also-ran.

Hopefully ExciteBots can get some attention!

7. Purple_Shyguy

Member Purple_Shyguy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Definitely Spiderman: Web of Shadows... Just got it today and i have to say its suprisingly good.

8. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection -- I have no idea how it sold overall, but it was budget priced at $19.99 if I remember right though I think a few people did jack it up 10 more.

The game has some of the best and most wicked non-commerical(stark trek tng, twilight zone, etc not there) tales from this company out of around the 80s for the most part with I think one in the 70s and 90s each. You got Black Knight, Space Shuttle, Taxi, Pinbot, Gorgar, Sorcerer, Whirlwind, Funhouse, and more. The neat thing is how they handled it really in a few ways. You get a few base credits, but a few tables start on free play. Each time you rack up 100 credits you can buy a freeplay to a pay table, but also if you just rock and get all five of the skill challenges that'll do too. Each challenge you nail gets a pile of credits, but also getting the match point at the end gets a freebie credit as well. Outside of that there's a Williams challenge mode where you have to do specific crap, but as I'm no pinball god I've ignored it as the basic unlocks was plenty of ammo for me.

The neat thing is on the Wii, you get to hold each piece of the controller and use it like a real table. Each hand gets a flipper trigger, the stick is your plunger, and the clincher on coolness is the motion controls allow you to smash the table like for real so you can screw with ball trajectory. All the tables look simply beautiful in 480p mode with an insane level of detail, audio is spot on, and the ball physics are like the audio spot on with no stupidity. You can like a real table get that rare thing where a ball can get stuck, and there is a return feature much like if you called an attendant over to let it loose which is a nice touch.

Damn awesome game, the few who bothered to review it gave it very high marks calling it the best release of the lot. The PS2 had it, but it lacked 2 tables, and the PSP has it too and it still looks/sounds good enough and has all the tables (I own it for on the go.) I very well recommend this as a good 8.5/10 type level quality of title.

9. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    I guess I can contribute to this list. Blast Works was a damn good game. Pretty much no one in the world bought it but me. Call of Duty 3 and Reds Steel were also underrated. Those games may not have been technically impressive but I had a blast playing both of them.

10. Serabii

Member Serabii GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    would you consider Zack and Wiki underrated? Boom Blox is fun if you have a party.

11. JussiPik

Member JussiPik GBAtemp Regular

Finland

QFT. is really rare that game based on a movie looks,plays and sounds so good.monsters vs. aliens is a must buy IMO.