Most difficult game(s) you ever beat?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by jDSX, Apr 26, 2016.

1. jDSX
    OP

jDSX *pokes*

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    Happy furry land with Lucar
    I played Ninja gaiden (2004) the sigma version on PS3 wasn't hard till I played on ninja grandmaster difficulty that seriously kicked my a$$ big time and gave up after chapter 6 only to pick it back up after some time and actually beat it. Lets just say I will never play a action game like NG on that difficulty ever again.

MGS4 on big boss extreme- lets see no kills, no alerts, no recovery items and no continues under 5 hours I did not get the emblem though because I got spotted a few times.

I cannot play tetris grand master edition at all.

2. RayD97

RayD97 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2015
    United States
    Super Monkey Ball 2

3. sergey3000

sergey3000 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2013
    Iceland
    super princess peach for the ds. it was soooo difficult. I never actually beat it.

RayD97 likes this.
  4. XtremeHacker

XtremeHacker GBAtemp Regular

Nov 12, 2015
    Canada
    Still haven't beaten Newer Super Mario Bros Wii.

5. jDSX
    OP

jDSX *pokes*

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    Happy furry land with Lucar
    I mean in general not as a personal difficulty with a game xd

6. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I may be missing a few games, but so far I'm going with tetris on gameboy: level 9 high 5. Just blinking instantly gets you killed. I still don't know how, but I've managed to survive 25 lines a couple times.

Other mentions:
    -double dragon (gameboy): no, this isn't a relentlessly tough game, but the original had no continues, no savegames and no way to really get lives. Beating it was basically not fun, as you had to play it safe all the time.
    -super hexxagon: I wish I could say I have finished it, but I've only survived the first 2 difficulty settings (hard and harder...it goes all the way to harderest, if I recall correctly :P ).
    -one finger death punch: in a way this game keeps cranking up the difficulty, but I've beaten all the paths enough to say I've finished it on hard and harder, as well as the unlocked "extra hard" challenges
    -guitar hero 3: those final bosses aren't funny in the way that you should use mechanics you haven't ever used before. Still...I beat it (okay, I probably would've failed 'through the fire and flames' :P )

Erm...I don't want to brag, but the game isn't so hard. Yes, the final missions are pretty tough, but it's not difficult on the scale of plenty of other games. :unsure:

XtremeHacker likes this.
  7. Zetman

Zetman GBAtemp Regular

Jan 2, 2016
    Italy
    "The faery tale adventure" on sega megadrive. I couldn't beat it when i was kid, i completed it years later on the emulator

Last edited by Zetman, Apr 26, 2016
  8. kprovost7314

kprovost7314 GBAtemp's Official Bara Master

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    In that bara manga ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Subspace Emissary). But I was MUCH younger. I could beat it in a day now.

Ricken likes this.
  9. Scarlet

Scarlet Phone Charm

GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Right
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    The achievement times are kinda deceiving since I spent a hell of a lot of time playing it off Steam before that, but hey ho. When I went back to Steam, I managed to beat the last three stages pretty much consecutively :3

And Hexagon aside, Fire Emblem games on the maximum difficulty are my weakness. By the end of each level, I find myself with a complete strategy of it, along with all the different variables and what could go wrong. So freaking hard.

Taleweaver and Zetman like this.
  10. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an enlightened being

GBAtemp Patron
    WeedZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    I beat teenage mutant ninja turtles on nes. Top that.

Thomas83Lin, VinsCool and Zetman like this.
  11. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Spawn: the video game, on snes.

This game was unfair.

12. XtremeHacker

XtremeHacker GBAtemp Regular

Nov 12, 2015
    Canada
    Yeah, I don't know how hard it would be now as I stopped playing once I beat world 8, and that was montsh ago.
    I like LittleBigPlanet because the bosses are actually hard, NSMBW, not so much. :\

13. Zetman

Zetman GBAtemp Regular

Jan 2, 2016
    Italy
    Forbidden siren (PS2)

never beat it cause I broke my ps2 then, but i tried for a long time. have to start it someday in the future

Last edited by Zetman, Apr 26, 2016
  14. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    George Foreman Boxing on the Game Gear, and Shinobi on the same system. Sheesh, honestly, so much determination at the end bout. Funny thing was that my friend who lent me the game didn't believe me that I ended up beating George Foreman. To this day, I still haven't completed the VC version of Shinobi - seriously, why did I have so much time to beat it?

Recently, it was soloing G1 fights in Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. I still haven't downed gold rathian by myself (because that thing is made out of metal - it was like bashing your head against a solid brick wall and not understanding why it hurt.)

15. chaosrunner

chaosrunner Substitute Soul Reaper

Banned
    Sep 27, 2015
    Canada
    Hueco Mundo
    sanic 06

Dr.Hacknik likes this.
  16. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Thought up a couple more:

-Donkey kong country returns and rayman origins (both on wii). Rayman origins was probably harder with the nightmare stages (the boss was insane as well, though), but DKCR was more frustrating because you don't have infinite lives.
    -warcraft 3. This was an AT THAT TIME hard one. At first it seems totally unfair: you have 3 races, a lot of resources and a narrow hallway to defend for 45 minutes. Of which roughly half of it is spent building your army. And then the undead totally overwhelm you in a way that's beyond ridiculous. Now...I have to admit I was one of those "casual RTS gamers" back then. Plump out a unit at a time, no build order or an idea of micro/macro. So beating it like that was HARD. Nowadays, it's probably pumping out units on a continuous cycle. But again: that was then.

17. Dr.Hacknik

Dr.Hacknik Maniac | Dev | A Fellow (lewd) Megumin

Mar 26, 2014
    United States
    my lewd corner
    I beat Super Man 64......okay i didn't :P

18. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    Most difficult games you beat?
    And then people list up games they haven't beaten... right.

The most difficult game I've beaten must be Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde on the NES.
    If a game is too difficult / unfair, I get bored quickly, so I haven't beaten a lot of difficult games. By that I don't mean Mega Man games, but Battletoads :P

cearp likes this.
  19. WiiU

WiiU Lurking in the Shadows

May 7, 2014
    Between worlds of Hyrule & Lorule
    Portal Stories: Mel, the puzzles were difficult. I got through it slowly.
    There was a bunch of NES and SNES games that were really hard but I never finished.

EDIT: There was the hardest guy in Quake 3, I beat him on max skill ... I think. Not a game because I didn't fight everyone else in between.

Last edited by WiiU, Jul 7, 2016
  20. Thomas83Lin

Thomas83Lin Retro Gamer

Jul 22, 2009
    United States
    Nice,
    I also beat Ninja Turtles on the nes back in jan, not a bad game. Maybe this will top it. No Continue\Warp run on Battletoads. My best playthrough on battletoads is a 3 death run but I don't have a video of that. Not sure what my most difficult game is, most games get easier the more you play them.

WeedZ likes this.