Hacking MoonShell killed My MicroSD

CofWaffles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am having some serious issues as I'm sure you can tell. I am using a DSL with an Acekard2i and an 8gb microsd card. For Moonshell and it's installation I used the guide here: http://www.dsifanboy.com/showthread.php?t=1183.

Yup I followed this guide to the letter, and now my computer cannot recognize my microsd. It is broken beyond all repair. I do not know what to do from here. I am both angry and frustrated. Please help.

CofWaffles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Indeed, in fact the card is still recognized by my DS. Albeit "System File Missing". The card is not broken in any way physically, if it were I don't suppose I would be having software problems :/

CofWaffles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In your case, you could try reformatting it I suppose. If that doesn't work it may be something else, perhaps connecting through alternative means would work.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i had a 2gb sandisk die on me after copying some files onto it this seems like it might be what happened to your card.
not sure if it's the same brand or not but i'd say buy another one just like it at walmart or some other store keep the receipt and take back the broke one for a refund.
(sits back and waits for ppl to tell me it's wrong to do that)

CofWaffles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well for one doing so is not possible. I purchased it from overseas in fact, and it's past the refund date. So its not as cut and dried as all that. I did in fact get my card functioning again, but only slightly. I can now transfer my old files to my card and its working in that regards. Though anything that even slightly resembles MoonShell even goes near it it dies again. So yes, not the card, it is Moonshell. That and I tried to get into the chat here to see if I could obtain direct assistance, but it seems its locked to guests on either IRC or Mibbit. It is invite only, which is amazing considering I had thought such chats would be used for these purposes :/

Edit: Well apparently the chat isn't named GBAtemp.net, rather GBAtemp. Still no one seems to be talking, so its back to square one.

CofWaffles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have access to neither. I didn't know digital camera's used microsd cards. Guess you learn something every day o~O

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
Even if a homebrew did break you're micro SD, why does this have to be in the Acekard forum?

And by the sounds of it, it was you or your computer that 'broke' it.

CofWaffles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shattered Screens, it seems you weren't paying attention to the topic at hand. Allow me to explain once more. Currently my card is working, without the Moonshell application, which means it was neither me nor my computer that broke anything. If you were reading at all you would know that. Secondly this forum is a place where people ask questions concerning issues with their cards correct? I mean just a cursory glance at these forums demonstrates that. Check - Mate

Chaosruler

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
CofWaffles said:
Shattered Screens, it seems you weren't paying attention to the topic at hand. Allow me to explain once more. Currently my card is working, without the Moonshell application, which means it was neither me nor my computer that broke anything. If you were reading at all you would know that. Secondly this forum is a place where people ask questions concerning issues with their cards correct? I mean just a cursory glance at these forums demonstrates that. Check - Mate
talk about NOT reading
he asked you why *HERE* at "Acekard", not why in the forums at all
also, Homebrew are ROMs, like .NDS files (They are .NDS files DUH), they are readdable only, how come reading something without writing it on the card breaks your card? that means it was either you or your computer/reader/writer, a solid proof is that I am using moonshell and yet, my card is working
now let me ask you something

you said you got a DS Lite and Acekard 2*i*?
I find it unfitting, do you?

thirdly, Moonshell productor got his own forum/webspace, if you had any brains left, before coming frustrated at us you should`ve asked him/post there first

since you are eligebly with zero experience about MicroSD or floppy hardware at all I will explain to you something

even when card does get "messed up" with its System, its always possible to restore the informotion or even better, format it, always
a computer is great engine for that purpose, but now thanks to Bill Gates, its reading capability of never-formatted flash floppys is low
therefore you should try formating it by using a different operation system (or more likely to say, different device)
1. Cellphone, my Nokia 6120c is great for those purposes, I bet that even if you don`t have 2/2.5/3/3.5G phones, your classmates/friends do
2. camera, alot of cameras support microSD due to it being dam` cheap and raise the camera`s price dramaticilly
3. PDV or more like to be called, "Handlehand computer", safely to assume it uses linux, which is one of the best operation system I have ever seen
4. PMP, more known as "Portable Media Player", many of them support microSD

see the magic?
oh, that answers another one of your questions, the DS is using linux, therefore it reads the MicroSD (partially) and the computer (so called "Gates") doesn`t
prooves my point I guess
anyways, go whine to Bill Gates and thank him for fulfilling his "dream" to make every familly have at least 1 good working computer, only it sucks and not compatiable to anything, even the DS is better

CofWaffles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Greetings Chaos Ruler,
I couldn't help but notice that you took much of what I said out of context. Allow me to clarify. These Acekard forums are what I was referring to, not GBAtemp in it's entirety. No, such a statement concerning all of GBAtemp would not be fitting considering there are portions of the GBAtemp that have nothing to do with help or assistance. Perhaps I should have used a better word to describe what I was referring to, but in any case the damage has been done. Also I used the word "break" rather figuratively, I had understood this as clear but apparently it was not. I did not mean break in a physical sense. I had meant it in regards to allowing my MicroSD card to not become recognized by my computer. Yes it was in that regards that Moonshell did "break" my MicroSD.

Yes I do have a DSL and an AceKard 2i, and no I do not find it unfitting. AceKard 2i is compatible with the DSL as well as the DSi. I got the higher end one, as most do, in the hopes of someday owning a DSi. You see I'm thinking ahead
wink.gif

Yes I know Moonshell has it's own forums on here, My problem was to do with my MicroSD card even though Moonshell had caused it. That is why I had posted here. I thought this was clear in the title, I suppose it wasn't.

Also it is true that I'm definitely new to the whole MicroSD portion. That's why I came here for assistance. I didn't know it would be a problem to do so.

As for your information concerning using alternative sources to format my card actually is viable, it was already suggested earlier and is the main reason why my card went back to a working state. So yes, my card is currently working.

I don't feel it is Bill Gates. I get the feeling we are meshing issues. Either way this conversation is neither here nor there. Someone was able to help me get my MicroSd Card working, and thats all I came here for.

kiwovo

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
funny.. lol
I never ever do the safe thing to get my usb or micro sd out and it never die...
only time i experienced something like that was when i was helping this chick and one moment her disk-on-key worked and the other it just died

anyone knows what's the percents of micro sd/disk-no-key dying when u don't safely remove it?

Chaosruler

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
kiwovo said:
funny.. lol
I never ever do the safe thing to get my usb or micro sd out and it never die...
only time i experienced something like that was when i was helping this chick and one moment her disk-on-key worked and the other it just died

anyone knows what's the percents of micro sd/disk-no-key dying when u don't safely remove it?
don`t sweat it, no I mean it
you might have a well done MicroSD (like me ^.^)
however, it WILL break, and you are just accerlating the process, so act smart

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: +1