Modding the power given to the USB ports?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Kupie, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Kupie
    OP

Kupie GBAtemp Regular

Jun 9, 2013
    United States
    Hello,

I hate how little power goes to the USB ports on this thing. Any way I could mod it so more power goes to them, or if the power from two goes to one? (Thus disabling the port it's stealing power from, I know)

Thanks!

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Is a powered hub not an option? What about a splitter/y cable to pull power from that second port? I am all for hardware modding but there is point at which one really should draw a line.

Equally what are you trying to power that sucks down so much juice. Most things you should be plugging into a wii u should not take that much.

Kupie likes this.
  3. shinkodachi

shinkodachi On permanent leave

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    That's doable. Just solder the power pins together. That's exactly how a Y-cable works, but it'd be internal. Is it worth gutting a Wii U to make something that a cheap $3 cable can fix? :)

WiiCube_2013 and Kupie like this.
  4. Kupie
    OP

Kupie GBAtemp Regular

Jun 9, 2013
    United States
    Only thing that uses that much juice is the WiiU Gamecube adapter from Nintendo, or my HDD (which I haven't used in forever).

That's good to know that the Y cable just does that, though! I might open it up this week