Hacking Modding Related 'Noob' Questions

execuperculite

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey so, how's it going?

I'm having a few issues, obviously, and I'm gonna cut to the chase. Plus I want to cool off some ideas running through my head before I invest too much time into the thought, and end up frustrated that it can't be done.

I'm new to this. So please be kind :)
I've had my console for quite some time.
Falcon (if that means anything here).
Kernel 17502
Philips-LiteOn DG-16D2S

How do I go about the old 'jailbreak' (for want of a better term) with a system like this?

I'm under the impression there is 0 possibility for a 100% 'soft' mod.

I know I can't JTAG (unless I skipped something) and am aware I will probably have to purchase some hardware; what is this hardware, where can I buy it, and what does it do? I did look a little into hardware but I'll wait to see what you guys say. At this stage my notes point towards me needing an R-JTAG, is this correct?

I've heard of flashing the optical drive, does this require anything additional such as an RGH or JTAG (sake of example) or is it a standalone mod? I don't need flashing itself explained, just whether the Xbox uses this by itself or requires a little extra encouragement.

Now, my research into upgrading and downgrading has shown me the depressing fact that downgrading simply is just not a thing that can be done. I'm not too fussed, if it can't be done it can't be done, that's fine, but why?

However, I'm also impelled to ask if one were to flash their optical drive, could that then be used to run unsigned code designed to patch the current kernel or trick the system into 'updating' to a previous version? Whether the technology exists or is currently available or not, I have potentially not looked into far enough, I admit this.

I'm sure the information that I'll receive from you guys will be information scattered across the internet and potentially even this forum already, but I've been banging my head against this for a few hours now trying to collect all the information, and have been eager to start this project for months prior, now it's just frustrating and getting jumbled.

This is my first post here, I tried reading all relevant threads I could find before even creating an account, and have since perused all the sections and appropriate guides, so I should be okay in posting this, but if I have acted in discordance with any of the rules then I ask you to kindly point me in the right direction and highlight my error so I avoid doing so again. Also I feel as though I haven't added all my questions to the main post, so if anything else comes up I'll edit it or whatever.

I look forward to any help you guys can give! I'd love to get this off the ground.

Elizabethx90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are private 'soft' mods, but they'll never be public.

You best bet would be RGH2, since it has better timings than RGH1. For flashing the dvd drive, you need to order some stuff like an extractor, and no, you can't run unsigned code via flashed drive.
The only way to downgrade is via RGH first, then to build a nand image at a lower firmware.
Any further questions, feel free to ask.

execuperculite

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There are private 'soft' mods, but they'll never be public.

You best bet would be RGH2, since it has better timings than RGH1. For flashing the dvd drive, you need to order some stuff like an extractor, and no, you can't run unsigned code via flashed drive.
The only way to downgrade is via RGH first, then to build a nand image at a lower firmware.
Any further questions, feel free to ask.

Sorry to be the guy to ask, but just so I can clear my head on this (and I'm not calling you out or anything I'm just curious), isn't the idea of flashing the DVD drive to allow it to run unsigned images? Or does it simply bypass the DRM?

EDIT: Don't worry, apparently it just skips the DRM side of things. However, is it worth getting RGH2, 'downgrading' via that to a taggable one, and then JTAG that and re-upgrade, or is this not possible, a waste of time, or both?

I seem to be fixated on JTAG-ing because it's the only one that's referenced the 'homebrew' side of things (in my experience so far) and that's what I'm after.

Last edited by execuperculite,

Elizabethx90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to be the guy to ask, but just so I can clear my head on this (and I'm not calling you out or anything I'm just curious), isn't the idea of flashing the DVD drive to allow it to run unsigned images? Or does it simply bypass the DRM?
It only bypasses the media check, not the RSA check for the files.

execuperculite

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You might as well just flash the drive. Hacking the console you get banned easier.
I appreciate the concern but it's not what I asked for :)
I understand the risks associated with installing and running unsigned code, but it's something I want to do regardless. Flashing the drive doesn't give me access to this.

Zero72463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I appreciate the concern but it's not what I asked for :)
I understand the risks associated with installing and running unsigned code, but it's something I want to do regardless. Flashing the drive doesn't give me access to this.

Well if you want to go online safe and run unsigned code go for RGH. You can dual-boot original xbox and hacked xbox. (Although if you decide to connect the hacked xbox to live then go to the original xbox then the original will be banned)

execuperculite

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well if you want to go online safe and run unsigned code go for RGH. You can dual-boot original xbox and hacked xbox. (Although if you decide to connect the hacked xbox to live then go to the original xbox then the original will be banned)
Will RGH eventually allow me to run off an external HDD? My apologies, I'm about to do some more study on RGH but my reading suggests JTAG to be the homebrew 'key' so to speak. Also, say I decide to scrap internet access for the Xbox, does this solve the issue of being 'detectable'? I'm not much of an online gamer myself so XBL isn't really needed for one such as myself (consider this a last resort).

Zero72463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will RGH eventually allow me to run off an external HDD? My apologies, I'm about to do some more study on RGH but my reading suggests JTAG to be the homebrew 'key' so to speak. Also, say I decide to scrap internet access for the Xbox, does this solve the issue of being 'detectable'? I'm not much of an online gamer myself so XBL isn't really needed for one such as myself (consider this a last resort).

Well if you don't care about online gameplay go for JTAG or RJTAG. Also RGH is least likely to do that, most likely JTAG or RJTAG. Sell your KV first so that you can make some quick bucks ;)
Also if you connect to the internet you will be banned instantly because testing connection will attempt to connect to live. I am sure there is a workaround though. Yes you are undetectable if you don't connect online.

Elizabethx90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if you don't care about online gameplay go for JTAG or RJTAG. Also RGH is least likely to do that, most likely JTAG or RJTAG. Sell your KV first so that you can make some quick bucks ;)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also if you connect to the internet you will be banned instantly because testing connection will attempt to connect to live. I am sure there is a workaround though.
You'll be banned at the same rate, since both methods use xebuild for the kernel.

execuperculite

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Also if you connect to the internet you will be banned instantly because testing connection will attempt to connect to live. I am sure there is a workaround though. Yes you are undetectable if you don't connect online.
Okay so all of your information has worked to clear the air in a way, and I'm fairly certain I'll be attempting an R-JTAG for my machine but just to double check, this SHOULDN'T encounter problems due to version or hardware? Probably about my last question in the ways of which mod to apply.

Assuming I can run with R-JTAG, where's the best place to shop for all the junk I need? :)

You'll be banned at the same rate, since both methods use xebuild for the kernel.
What does this mean? More specifically the xebuild part... is that a dumb question?

Also thanks for all the help you guys, at least I know which direction I'm going in now!

Zero72463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so all of your information has worked to clear the air in a way, and I'm fairly certain I'll be attempting an R-JTAG for my machine but just to double check, this SHOULDN'T encounter problems due to version or hardware? Probably about my last question in the ways of which mod to apply.

Assuming I can run with R-JTAG, where's the best place to shop for all the junk I need? :)

What does this mean? More specifically the xebuild part... is that a dumb question?

Also thanks for all the help you guys, at least I know which direction I'm going in now!

Not a dumb question. This is like the main thing the hacks run upon. You don't need to worry about it. AliExpress is the best place to shop for hacks. I bought my E3 Flasher from there. I can't assure you if I know your version/model/hardware is compatible. You should talk to someone else about that. Other than that everything I told you should come in handy. Maybe @Elizabethx90 will know about the version/model/hardware. The reason I don't know is because I don't own an xbox, but when I was planning on buying one I did a ton of research. I just didn't have enough money in the end to buy the xbox I wanted. Also the massive ban rate was worrying me so in the end I decided not to.

Last edited by Zero72463,

Elizabethx90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not a dumb question. This is like the main thing the hacks run upon. You don't need to worry about it. AliExpress is the best place to shop for hacks. I bought my E3 Flasher from there. I can't assure you if I know your version/model/hardware is compatible. You should talk to someone else about that. Other than that everything I told you should come in handy. Maybe @Elizabethx90 will know about the version/model/hardware. The reason I don't know is because I don't own an xbox, but when I was planning on buying one I did a ton of research. I just didn't have enough money in the end to buy the xbox I wanted. Also the massive ban rate was worrying me so in the end I decided not to.
It's a falcon mobo, so RJTAG should be fine.

Here's a link to pretty much anything OP would need regarding that: http://team-xecuter.com/forums/thre...on-Setup-Guide-***-UPDATED-JULY-26th-2013-***

Reactions: Zero72463

execuperculite

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh, sweet, cheers. Guess I'll find out more about it when I dive in a little deeper and actually have a modded console to play with. Is there anywhere else aside from AliExpress I might be able to shop? I hear mixed things about the site.

It's a falcon mobo, so RJTAG should be fine.

Here's a link to pretty much anything OP would need regarding that: http://team-xecuter.com/forums/thre...on-Setup-Guide-***-UPDATED-JULY-26th-2013-***
Awesome that's great news.
Just had a quick look at the link too and it's pretty concise :D Thanks!

You've been phenomenal by the way, is there some way I can leave positive feedback for you guys?

Zero72463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, sweet, cheers. Guess I'll find out more about it when I dive in a little deeper and actually have a modded console to play with. Is there anywhere else aside from AliExpress I might be able to shop? I hear mixed things about the site.

You've been phenomenal by the way, is there some way I can leave positive feedback for you guys?

Ebay. You could try NDS cards the sponsor. Other than that I am not sure.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You can give me $100(jk). You thanking us is enough. I know I helped someone when they needed help that is all I need! :)

Elizabethx90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Your thanks is enough.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse