Modding a PS2 with a dead drive

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by idleivey, Dec 26, 2010.

Dec 26, 2010
  1. idleivey
    OP

Newcomer idleivey Newbie

United States
    So I was gifited a PS2 with a dead lens I and I want to mod it. My ultimate goal is to get HD loader running on it.

It's a FAT PS2, either V7 or V8.

So far it seems like my only two options are install FMCB w/Memor32 or using a mod chip... Am I missing any options? Which option would you recommend, Id like to spend as little as possible.

Thanks and Merry Christmas for the next 7 mins.

2. Maverick_z

Member Maverick_z When did i join again??

Canada
    well 1st and foremost i suggest if you want to get more use out of it get the lens fixed so then you can get it modded however you want that way you can play both burned games/backups or run it off HDLoader with freemcboot, memor32, etc.

Best of both worlds

3. idleivey
    OP

Newcomer idleivey Newbie

United States
    Yah but I dont have any PS2 or 1 games at all, why bother spending the cash on a new lens when I'm just going to use HD loader anyway.

4. Sumea

Member Sumea Disco Ninja Frog

Finland
    There is option of ordering a memory card with freeMCboot and needed utils from someon too. For example I could do this For small fee though shipping to US would be difficult - but there is people out there doing that stuff and all. Just one option. Also, I dunno if you just get the network adapter and big enough IDE HDD that you would need lens fixed, apart from few problem games HDloader works fine with about 90% of notable playworthy games out there.

5. Magsor

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    You don't need to fix your lens. Just get a memory card with freemcboot installed (or get it installed its free)an your good to go.

Also you need the Ps2 network adapter and a new hard drive(IDE?) because games are most games too slow from USB.

6. idleivey
    OP

Newcomer idleivey Newbie

United States
    Thanks guys that's what I was hoping to hear. Can I pick up a modded MC in the classifieds, Looks like I don't have access to the trading fourm, any suggested places to pick one up? What's a good price to pay? Would a memor32 work? Thanks.

Ok so price break down:

Seagate Baracuda 500gb - $50
    PS2 Network Adapter - $30

So for the memory card I could get a Memor32 ($50) or a regular card w/FMCB already installed.

I saw a bunch of PS2 memory card usb adapters on ebay for about $6 bucks, looks like i should be able to use that to load the code on the card right and then I could just make my own freeMCboot card. That would be nice cause thats a hell of a lot cheaper then a Memor32.

7. kaputnik

Member kaputnik GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Are you sure the laser is completely dead? The PS2 uses different diodes for CD and DVD reading, if you're lucky it's just the DVD diode that's broken, and not some shared component of the laser circuit. You should try booting a CD game before giving up on it.

Also, if you're lucky, you can bring the laser to life again by slightly lowering the resistance over the trimming potentiometer and by that raising the voltage over the diode. To do this you need a multimeter and a small screwdriver. If you got access to an oscilloscope, you can do it the real way and calibrate the laser by looking at the output signal from the DVD, that will of course give better results than just notching up the voltage step by step until it works. I'm sure there are lots of guides out there describing how to do it in detail.
    This is of course just a temporary fix, but then again, you just have to boot HDL using the DVD reader, so it's not much reading to be done.

Of course you need some way of booting unsigned code to run HD loader. DX has good clones of some of the better chips for sale at ~$4. Since you're gonna use HD loader anything will do, you just need to boot HDL, game compatibility won't be an issue.

8. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    I recommend to find someone who sends you a Free McBoot memory card, everything else should be more expensive:
    http://psx-scene.com/forums/f153/%5Bread-f...fmcb-you-58851/

And for an IDE HDD, you should look at some HDD compatiblity lists 1st, a lot of HDDs are not compatible. Some don't even have the standard connector distances.

Also, you could buy some 100-200 GB HDD from ebay for less money, there are many good ps2 games, but not that many.

9. idleivey
    OP

Newcomer idleivey Newbie

United States
    Thanks Wiipower for the tips, I got someone to sell me a MC with FMCB on it and found a 120gb drive for $20 on eBay. I'll update once I've got everything I need.