OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.RobotsAndComputers.com
XP
Country
United States
I have a Wii that I softmodded many years ago. Playing Skylanders Trap Team as well as Swap Force, the Wii keeps locking up. It will freeze and the sound will start buzzing.I have to turn the power off at the console and back on to regain control. It does it at different places in the game; it does it in two different games; it does it at random times - sometimes minutes apart, sometimes hours. I thought maybe it might be overheating, so I took it apart, cleaned the fan and ducts and applied thermal compound to the thermal pads (I didn't have any thermal pads to replace them with) and it is still doing it.

Is there anything that might be causing this that I can fix?

Trylk248

Honest helper and custom content creator.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That happens when you install an app/software that isn't correctly installed. Don't worry, try to delete all the related data to this game (Saves, extra data, etc.) then re-download the app from fresh, and install again.

rebeltaz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
That happens when you install an app/software that isn't correctly installed. Don't worry, try to delete all the related data to this game (Saves, extra data, etc.) then re-download the app from fresh, and install again.

These weren't downloaded. They were copied from my game discs by the USBLoader program.

[^Blark^]

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How are you loading the games? Via HDD I suppose. It may be the hard drive I had an HDD issue I had to change one partition to primary etc and then the lagging stuttering freezing stopped. It happened with gamecube and wii games. Just a thought may be the external device?

rebeltaz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
How are you loading the games? Via HDD I suppose. It may be the hard drive I had an HDD issue I had to change one partition to primary etc and then the lagging stuttering freezing stopped. It happened with gamecube and wii games. Just a thought may be the external device?

I am sorry... I didn't know that you replied to this - I never got an email. I thought about that. And when I took this thing out of storage a couple of weeks ago, it wouldn't even load the USB Loader. I found that the problem there was that the SD card contacts were oxidized. I cleaned the socket and the card and got that working. I thought maybe this might be the same thing, so I cleaned the USB connectors and cables. That didn't help, so like you suggested, I thought maybe it might be the hard drive. I tried loading the disc under USB Loader instead of playing the game off the hard drive. It froze up the same way. So, ok... I thought maybe it might be because of the mod. So I rebooted to the Wii system - which should bypass any mods, right? - and loaded the disc there. Still locked up and buzzed.

It went for several days without locking up at all, and tonight, after playing a few hours, it did it's thing. After that, it's locking up every fifteen or thirty minutes. I keep thinking heat, but when I put my hand behind the fan, it's as cool as a cucumber. Is there ANYTHING else that could be causing this?

I appreciate the help.

D

Deleted User

I am sorry... I didn't know that you replied to this - I never got an email. I thought about that. And when I took this thing out of storage a couple of weeks ago, it wouldn't even load the USB Loader. I found that the problem there was that the SD card contacts were oxidized. I cleaned the socket and the card and got that working. I thought maybe this might be the same thing, so I cleaned the USB connectors and cables. That didn't help, so like you suggested, I thought maybe it might be the hard drive. I tried loading the disc under USB Loader instead of playing the game off the hard drive. It froze up the same way. So, ok... I thought maybe it might be because of the mod. So I rebooted to the Wii system - which should bypass any mods, right? - and loaded the disc there. Still locked up and buzzed.

It went for several days without locking up at all, and tonight, after playing a few hours, it did it's thing. After that, it's locking up every fifteen or thirty minutes. I keep thinking heat, but when I put my hand behind the fan, it's as cool as a cucumber. Is there ANYTHING else that could be causing this?

I appreciate the help.
I see.... try using nus and re installing all system titles, I know that seems weird but it has to be some sort of system title if it continues to lock up like that. Because you said it locks on normally wii loaded discs too right?

Last edited by ,

rebeltaz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I see.... try using nus and re installing all system titles, I know that seems weird but it has to be some sort of system title if it continues to lock up like that. Because you said it locks on normally wii loaded discs too right?

Yep, normally loaded Wii discs lock up, too. I'm going to have to refresh my memory on what NUS is, but once I do, I will try that and let you know. Thanks :)

D

Deleted User

Yep, normally loaded Wii discs lock up, too. I'm going to have to refresh my memory on what NUS is, but once I do, I will try that and let you know. Thanks :)
Just be careful when doing that. I would recommend priiloader just incase. (unless you got bootmii as boot2)

rebeltaz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Just be careful when doing that. I would recommend priiloader just incase. (unless you got bootmii as boot2)

I am PRETTY sure that I do (have bootmii) but I will double check. I WANT to think I saw priiloader in that menu, too...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Saayyyy... you wouldn't happen to have a link to a guide would you? 'nus' is too short for the search field to run and I didn't really see anything when I searched 'reinstall wii system files'....

D

Deleted User

I am PRETTY sure that I do (have bootmii) but I will double check. I WANT to think I saw priiloader in that menu, too...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Saayyyy... you wouldn't happen to have a link to a guide would you? 'nus' is too short for the search field to run and I didn't really see anything when I searched 'reinstall wii system files'....

Lookup Nusdownloader on google. Or http://wiibrew.org/wiki/NUS_Downloader

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Fuck sigma, go with sugma.