Modded Wii Games

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by jchillin111, Sep 3, 2018.

1. jchillin111
    OP

jchillin111 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2018
    United States
    Im currently trying to get Project M (which is a Super Smash Bros. Brawl game mod) injected as a Virtual Console title on my Wii U, so that it has gamepad compatability. I want to try to have it installed onto my NAND. I do not have an HDD so that isn't an option.

I have CBHC, a hacked vWii, and thats pretty much it.

Is this doable and could someone lead me in the right direction? Thanks.

2. xs4all

xs4all GBAtemp Fan

Jun 9, 2008
    Australia
    From personal experience, injecting heaps of custom VC's, Project M being one of them, installing games to system NAND will be fine and wont cause any issues.

For those that say, don't install games to NAND or any online tutorials that advise you not to. Don't listen to them, it's perfectly fine, I have games installed on my system NAND since day one when WUP/USB installs was figured out and not have any issues.

Please be aware that when injecting Wii games, it's always best practice to try and make sure the Wii game is the same region has your WiiU console. In some cases, if you inject an out of region Wii game, it may boot to black screen. This is due to the Video Modes that's included in the game, some game devs have encoded both NTSC and PAL video modes for their games and this will work on both regions. There are some devs that just encode whatever Video Mode the region of the game is released in causing the game to boot to black screen if it can't find a suitable video mode.
    If this is the case, if your using TeconMoon's WiiVC Injector script to inject your Wii games, under the ADVANCED options menu, right down the button there is a "Patch video mode with Wii-VMC....." option that you can use to try and force the correct video mode for your inject.

Edit:
    Just like to repeat, this is from MY personal experience and not every setup is the same, yes there is risks but I have yet to encounter them.

Last edited by xs4all, Sep 3, 2018
  3. Zyvyn

Zyvyn GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 9, 2017
    United States
    the reason you dont install to nand is if it ends up as corrupted data it could very easily brick your system

4. xs4all

xs4all GBAtemp Fan

Jun 9, 2008
    Australia
    Yes, that is a valid point and thanks for pointing that out, with my experience with just over 2000 custom injects under my belt and counting, all installs/testing is done on my system NAND. I have come across with some corrupted installs where the game icon is the "?" instead of the game icon and/or the game refuses to boot with error messages. This is because I screwed something up in the inject process, I'm not using the script mentioned in my reply as all my injects are manual process with a lot of steps and it's mostly human error in forgetting to do something.
    If a game install is corrupted or has a "?" as the game icon instead of the game, I simply re inject with a different Title ID (very important NOT to reuse the same Title ID) making sure I did everything correctly, then it works file.

Again not everyone's setup is the same so you will have your risks.