Modded Wii (4.3U) permanently bricked?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by HarvHouHacker, Aug 5, 2019.

1. HarvHouHacker
    OP

HarvHouHacker GBAtemp's "Official" Wii Rock Band Hacker

Mar 24, 2019
    United States
    Right here on good ol' planet Earth!
    So, I think I may have permanently bricked my Wii today. I was testing some homebrew I had gotten when during an IOS check it froze. I turned off my Wii and powered it on, and now all it does is say:

I've tried holding RESET and powering on. I've tried holding all four directions on the GameCube controller. I've tried holding - and +. Nothing works. After the Health and Safety screen, it gives me that error. I don't have BootMii installed as part of boot2, nor do I have Priiloader. I'm on System Menu 4.3U.

Strangely, I can reset at the Health and Safety message, and if I reset right before I see the error, I see the series of squares as if it's going to the System Menu.

What are my options, other than modifying the hardware? I want my Wii back! :cry:

2. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBA Fan

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    Hello. :)

That is sad to hear you have troubles with your test Wii.
    (No PRIILOADER ?!? Oh no.......:( )

Please try the following:

- remove the SD Card and see what happens.
    - reboot your Wii 5-6 times in a Row.
    - also please try it 5-6 times and press/hold "+" and "-" Buttons and proceed on the Health screen.
    - try a "newer" Wii original Game on bootup

Good Luck,my friend.:)

3. MrCokeacola

MrCokeacola GBAtemp Regular

Feb 26, 2018
    Canada
    Restore your backed up NAND that you saved to your PC...

4. HarvHouHacker
    OP

Mar 24, 2019
    United States
    None of those work. I'm not seeing anything. Am I doing something wrong?
    How can I restore when I can't even access the internal storage? I said I had no BootMii or Priiloader.

5. Johnton

Johnton GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2018
    Mexico
    Then you're just outta luck here.
    This is why when you install HBC first thing to do is BootMii and NAND Backup.

Try harder, search for ways to restore your wii without NAND Backup.

6. ROllerGuy

ROllerGuy Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 29, 2018
    Antarctica
    You've most likely ran a bricker. Your Wii is screwed.

7. HarvHouHacker
    OP

Mar 24, 2019
    United States
    Does anyone know where I can get SaveMii? It might fix my problem. I am using an original Wii, after all.

EDIT: I was able to boot into SaveMiiFrii; apparently I wasn't holding the GameCube buttons right. I had to take the controller apart, but it works. Now, however, whenever I put in a Wii disc, the 4.3U disappears, and nothing happens. Is there something I can do to fix this that doesn't require a modchip?

Last edited by HarvHouHacker, Aug 12, 2019
  8. XFlak

XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    What do u mean the 4.3U dissappears?

Do you have a game disc that has an exploit? Like super smash bros, or Lego Indian Jones, etc.

9. HarvHouHacker
    OP

Mar 24, 2019
    United States
    It just does. I disassemble my GameCube controller (carefully, so I can put it back together and use it again!), plug it into the fourth port, hold the rubber piece down so that all four indents where the Control Pad is supposed to be are touching the circuit board, and power the Wii on. I see that in the bottom right, there reads 4.3(USA) (my mistake; it wasn't U, it was USA). I insert a Wii game disc dated 2010 and later, and then the message disappears. I listen to my drive, and do not hear it reading the disc. Obviously, it detects that the update has already been installed.

I have LEGO Batman: The Video Game. I can get Bathaxx from the WiiBrew site. Will that work?

Last edited by HarvHouHacker, Aug 13, 2019
  10. XFlak

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    Tbh I think it's a long shot but it would be cool to try. Unfortunately I'm no expert on wii autoboot discs so I promise nothing except the very best of luck.

if you can boot into a game with an exploit then we're in business, but otherwise probably toast

Last edited by XFlak, Aug 13, 2019
  11. HarvHouHacker
    OP

Mar 24, 2019
    United States
    I've tried a bunch of different things, to no avail. I got a DVD-RW, wrote a recovery ISO called Universal Unbrick Disc V2, put it in the Wii in SaveMiiFrii mode, and nothing happens. I tried to browse the files on the Wii U using Wiixplorer, and it doesn't read it! Perhaps it's a different drive, I guess. I dunno. I'm totally frustrated. I'm thinking of throwing my Wii into the yard and HAMMERING IT INTO LITTLE TINY PIECES!!! :hateit:

12. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBA Fan

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    I am sorry for you my friend.:sad:
    I understand this is very frustrating......and maybe a little "anger" goes on yourself... (Priiloader......):sad:

But may a little alternative instead for you ?

This is a piece of plastic and metall.It won´t get hurt if you throw it and hammer on it.In the worst case YOU hurt yourself (Screws that fly around and get stuck in your eye....:D)
    AND it can be replaced (your eye may not be..)

Please save your energy and "throw" it in your great Rockband Project ! :yay:
    THAT deserves it.And many People here appreciate this also.

Thank you and keep it up,great Rockband Warrior.:bow:

KleinesSinchen likes this.
  13. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen The backup reminder

Mar 28, 2018
    Germany
    I know this very understandable feeling. But hitting the Wii with a sledge hammer will not (really) give you a better feeling. And the drive is probably still usable. Please don’t destroy it.

About the recovery ISO:
    The Wii drives are bad at reading DVD-RW. Try a non rewritable DVD-R (not +R). As far as I know it requires a modchip anyway for loading a burned recovery disc this way (I don’t know for sure).

About trying to read burned media with a Wii U: The drive will refuse to do this.

alexander1970 likes this.
  14. XFlak

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    FYI, some drives won't play backup discs period, and will only play originals.