Modded PSX from thrift shop

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Midna, Dec 24, 2008.

Dec 24, 2008

Modded PSX from thrift shop by Midna at 6:19 AM (1,474 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    So I bought a PSX at a thrift shop for $5 today. After I picked it out, I opened the drive and there was a homemade burned game disk in it, and a sticker giving the phone number of a professional modding business. This leads me to believe that the thing can play burned disks.

I, having no experience with PSX hacking would like to know how I would go about running burned games on it. I am on a Mac, by the way.

2. cracker

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    Have you tried booting up the disc that was in it?

3. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    burning ps1 games is pretty easy suggest use IMGBURN or my preferred choice of ALCOHOL 120% if your using Alcohol 120% use playstation setting to burn ...and make sure RECTIFY SUBCHANNEL data is not checked otherwise this will prevent it from working as some PS1 games have LYBCRYPT protection in the Subchannel data if you repair the subchannel it messes this up and the backup will fail!

no doubt its chipped already so as above try the backup that was in it [​IMG]

4. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Yeah, it came without cables, and my parents decided to tell me I shouldn't buy the full set of cords with the Dual Shock Analogue Controller and instead decided to get them for me at christmas. So I have to wait 'till tomorrow to try the PSX out.

5. kobykaan

United Kingdom

nice one [​IMG]

despite it being an old console there are still some great games for it [​IMG]

Although I own a chipped ps1 myself I now play all my favorite games on my PSP [​IMG]

6. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    I've got a mac. There's no imgburn or alcohol on my mac.

(Actually all the windows stuff works on new macs, I just have a really old one.)

7. cracker

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    If you have a G3 or similar with 10.3.9 then you can use Burn.

And there's still always Virtual PC. Your Mac might be able to handle Win98 or even 2K so you can use some PC burning utilities.

Or... Pick up a used PC for a few bucks that is capable of burning decently -- a 500MHz PC can be had for $10 (or less) if you know where to look.

8. kobykaan

United Kingdom
    oh sorry [​IMG]

theres SIMPLYBURN which does a similar thing for mac that may work [​IMG]

9. Quincy

Member Quincy Your own personal guitarist :3

Netherlands
    So...did it work?

did you gt the disc to boot?

10. sphere9

Member sphere9 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Is using Alcohol 120% better than using CloneCD?

I have been using CloneCD to try and burn my ISOs but when played they only take me to the 'Memory Card/CD Player' menu...

11. cracker

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    CCD works just as well as Alcohol from my experience. Any recent program will work fine. My pick is Imgburn.

Since it takes you to the system menu it sounds like you don't have a chip or it isn't installed properly. If you have a Gameshark you can test the backups to see if they work by holding down the lid sensor with a paperclip, toothpick, whatever and booting up the Gameshark and then swapping the backup in when the disc stops spinning. If it boots then it will show you that the discs are good. *Note: Some games will crash after booting to a certain point because they can't find audio tracks that should be there, etc. but it is good enough to test with.

12. sphere9

Member sphere9 GBAtemp Fan

Australia

thanks, i went a little deeper into my problem here;

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=125947

could you take a look?