Midna

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
So I bought a PSX at a thrift shop for $5 today. After I picked it out, I opened the drive and there was a homemade burned game disk in it, and a sticker giving the phone number of a professional modding business. This leads me to believe that the thing can play burned disks.

I, having no experience with PSX hacking would like to know how I would go about running burned games on it. I am on a Mac, by the way.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
midna25 said:
So I bought a PSX at a thrift shop for $5 today. After I picked it out, I opened the drive and there was a homemade burned game disk in it, and a sticker giving the phone number of a professional modding business. This leads me to believe that the thing can play burned disks.

I, having no experience with PSX hacking would like to know how I would go about running burned games on it. I am on a Mac, by the way.

burning ps1 games is pretty easy suggest use IMGBURN or my preferred choice of ALCOHOL 120% if your using Alcohol 120% use playstation setting to burn ...and make sure RECTIFY SUBCHANNEL data is not checked otherwise this will prevent it from working as some PS1 games have LYBCRYPT protection in the Subchannel data if you repair the subchannel it messes this up and the backup will fail!

no doubt its chipped already so as above try the backup that was in it
smile.gif

Midna

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Yeah, it came without cables, and my parents decided to tell me I shouldn't buy the full set of cords with the Dual Shock Analogue Controller and instead decided to get them for me at christmas. So I have to wait 'till tomorrow to try the PSX out.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
midna25 said:
Yeah, it came without cables, and my parents decided to tell me I shouldn't buy the full set of cords with the Dual Shock Analogue Controller and instead decided to get them for me at christmas. So I have to wait 'till tomorrow to try the PSX out.

nice one
smile.gif

despite it being an old console there are still some great games for it
smile.gif

Although I own a chipped ps1 myself I now play all my favorite games on my PSP
smile.gif

Midna

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
kobykaan said:
midna25 said:

burning ps1 games is pretty easy suggest use IMGBURN or my preferred choice of ALCOHOL 120% if your using Alcohol 120% use playstation setting to burn ...and make sure RECTIFY SUBCHANNEL data is not checked otherwise this will prevent it from working as some PS1 games have LYBCRYPT protection in the Subchannel data if you repair the subchannel it messes this up and the backup will fail!

no doubt its chipped already so as above try the backup that was in it
smile.gif
I've got a mac. There's no imgburn or alcohol on my mac.

(Actually all the windows stuff works on new macs, I just have a really old one.)

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have a G3 or similar with 10.3.9 then you can use Burn.

And there's still always Virtual PC. Your Mac might be able to handle Win98 or even 2K so you can use some PC burning utilities.

Or... Pick up a used PC for a few bucks that is capable of burning decently -- a 500MHz PC can be had for $10 (or less) if you know where to look.

sphere9

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Is using Alcohol 120% better than using CloneCD?

I have been using CloneCD to try and burn my ISOs but when played they only take me to the 'Memory Card/CD Player' menu...

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sphere9 said:

I have been using CloneCD to try and burn my ISOs but when played they only take me to the 'Memory Card/CD Player' menu...

CCD works just as well as Alcohol from my experience. Any recent program will work fine. My pick is Imgburn.

Since it takes you to the system menu it sounds like you don't have a chip or it isn't installed properly. If you have a Gameshark you can test the backups to see if they work by holding down the lid sensor with a paperclip, toothpick, whatever and booting up the Gameshark and then swapping the backup in when the disc stops spinning. If it boots then it will show you that the discs are good. *Note: Some games will crash after booting to a certain point because they can't find audio tracks that should be there, etc. but it is good enough to test with.

sphere9

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
cracker said:
sphere9 said:

CCD works just as well as Alcohol from my experience. Any recent program will work fine. My pick is Imgburn.

Since it takes you to the system menu it sounds like you don't have a chip or it isn't installed properly. If you have a Gameshark you can test the backups to see if they work by holding down the lid sensor with a paperclip, toothpick, whatever and booting up the Gameshark and then swapping the backup in when the disc stops spinning. If it boots then it will show you that the discs are good. *Note: Some games will crash after booting to a certain point because they can't find audio tracks that should be there, etc. but it is good enough to test with.

thanks, i went a little deeper into my problem here;

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=125947

could you take a look?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I agree Tears is great. I even played thru it completely twice. I've been hooked on playing thru...