Hacking @modchip users

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
As i see it, in the past backup launching with modchips was easy: Just burn and play. Now some modchip users need Gecko OS, truchs signed discs and/or the 002 fix. So why don't you create a thread for this?
If was thinking of something similar to mine for softmodding:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=123...p;#entry1639626

As i see it there are 2 different kinds of modchips: the ones which get past the 002 error and the ones which don't. And if a modchip user don't want nintendo's updates he has to mess around with stuff which modchip users didn't need in the past like IOS and loaders.

My intention about this is: I want to clean up the foum a little with the side effect of providing a source of information for modchip users.

Skater4599

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally have had a d2ckey for over a year now, never thought of a thread for it. Biggest reason why is ive NEVER had a problem with it, every single game/update ive put it through its worked 100% 001/002 error, maybe other chips have had probs? idk lol ^^ i honestly dont even know how to use the backup loader as ive been playing backups from disc chanell flawlessly for long time now, i dont have cios installed either, no use for it at this point
tongue.gif
i just simplynever updated from 3.2U

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Skater4599 said:
I personally have had a d2ckey for over a year now, never thought of a thread for it. Biggest reason why is ive NEVER had a problem with it, every single game/update ive put it through its worked 100% 001/002 error, maybe other chips have had probs? idk lol ^^ i honestly dont even know how to use the backup loader as ive been playing backups from disc chanell flawlessly for long time now, i dont have cios installed either, no use for it at this point
tongue.gif

But some chips are causing trouble with 002. And if you want more than 1:1 backups you may want to skip the updates. You can't modify the .iso for any new game and play it with the original update through the disc channel. If you want stuff like Rock Band customs or region free games even if you tv doesn't support the other region you need to "hack" a little.

Diffusion

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It pretty much still is burn and play for people with newer modchips and don't care about truchasigned discs. New IOSes can be installed via disc... and if needed some modchip teams will probably add in the #002 patch.

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Diffusion said:
It pretty much still is burn and play for people with newer modchips and don't care about truchasigned discs. New IOSes can be installed via disc... and if needed some modchip teams will probably add in the #002 patch.

I knew there are people which have no problems, but somebody should create a thread for the others. It would be the best if one of the people with an old modchip does it. I think there are enough reasons for truchs signed discs, but these complicate the loading a lot, so a thread with help would be a good idea(i think).

Skater4599

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
Skater4599 said:
tongue.gif

But some chips are causing trouble with 002. And if you want more than 1:1 backups you may want to skip the updates. You can't modify the .iso for any new game and play it with the original update through the disc channel. If you want stuff like Rock Band customs or region free games even if you tv doesn't support the other region you need to "hack" a little.

Actually my chip is hardwired for region override so i have no need for region free'ing wii games/gamecube games, those have worked since day 1 also, and since im still on 3.2u my trucha signed discs still work without probs, ive played GH3 custom no probs but havnt tried rockband (ive never played rockband). Got my brickproof solution with discs also, so easy and 100% compatibility from disc chanel and gamecube backups and online capability worked since day 1 too, this why i opt for modchips (the right one at least) over backup loaders. cheers

But if somone makes a thread for cleaning up sake etc as you posted above, i would be glad to add info i have on compatibilty etc for the cause ^^

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Skater4599 said:
Actually my chip is hardwired for region override so i have no need for region free'ing wii games/gamecube games, those have worked since day 1 also, and since im still on 3.2u my trucha signed discs still work without probs, ive played GH3 custom no probs but havnt tried rockband (ive never played rockband). Got my brickproof solution with discs also, so easy and 100% compatibility from disc chanel and gamecube backups and online capability worked since day 1 too, this why i opt for modchips (the right one at least) over backup loaders. cheers

Region free without patching the video mode in the game doesn't work for all games. There are still games which need their region video mode, which IS a problem if you tv doesn't support it. Apparently you have a good tv. I'm 99% sure Rock Band would cause trouble for you, if you tried a trucha signed version.

pieman202

Trophies
XP
Country
i think a compatability thread would be great, i reckon most of the problems are for pal users who need to use geckoOS and other stuff to play american games

Skater4599

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
Skater4599 said:

Region free without patching the video mode in the game doesn't work for all games. There are still games which need their region video mode, which IS a problem if you tv doesn't support it. Apparently you have a good tv. I'm 99% sure Rock Band would cause trouble for you, if you tried a trucha signed version.

Rockband is a possibility as again ive not tried it nor really cared to
tongue.gif
. But ya i do have a nice HDTV, it must support it pretty well never thought of it cause my old tv didnt have probs either, also whenever poss i play my region games as i dont see a point in overriding video modes/causing probs if the game has a release in my region^^ if it dont thats only time ill play pal games

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
D2pro 15 wire here. 3.2u with starfall to skip those updates, so I can still use GH3 customs. Everything works 100% from the disc channel. Only game I have ever had trouble with was SSBB, cause of the manual layer break. I had problem with the region-free GC option on starfall, but once that option is disabled GC games worked fine again (from the disc channel).

EDIT: Now this thread seems to be going in a regional direction. I very rarely play out-of-my-region games so maybe thats why things are working good for me.

layzieyez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have D2Ckey in my wii and the only games I run through geckoOS is Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and Taiko no Tatsujin to get past the updates. I get an 002 error with Bleach Versus Crusade, but it'll get cleared up with NFS Undercover update whenever I can get my hands on that game. That's all I've had to deal with EVER. I did install waninkoko's cIOS to rip games, but it didn't matter since it still crapped out like rawdump+8164 drive and slightly scratched gamecube disc transferred over network.

Skater4599

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gratefulbuddy said:
D2pro 15 wire here. 3.2u with starfall to skip those updates, so I can still use GH3 customs. Everything works 100% from the disc channel. Only game I have ever had trouble with was SSBB, cause of the manual layer break. I had problem with the region-free GC option on starfall, but once that option is disabled GC games worked fine again (from the disc channel).

EDIT: Now this thread seems to be going in a regional direction. I very rarely play out-of-my-region games so maybe thats why things are working good for me.

True its gone in a regional direction, but im pretty sure thats most the probs any modchip user had (correct me if im wrong) cause im in the same boat as you, i rarely play games outside of my own region also
biggrin.gif

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So as i see it a thread mainly for old modchips and region free users(with bad tvs) might be a good idea. I don't want to do it myself as i don't have a modchip, that would bewrong.

PS: If i would play region free games, i would be in the same boat. My tv is good and my video cable is good too. And that's the problem, rgb cables(PAL users only?) produce a better result, but aren't compatible with NTSC output.

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
rgb scart is compatible with an NTSC signal just depends if the telly's shit or not if it works or has nintendo blocked NTSC output via rgb then? i wouldnt know because i have component cables
tongue.gif

My results D2Ckey 3.2E wii.
IF its pal it boots no errors
IF its NTSC wii or GC it needs to be loaded through gecko very few NTSC games work through disc channel
002 with bleach vs crusade

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
NTSC Wii, NTSC HD LCD TV, a Yowii chip with Yaosm 3 flashed...

Compatibility, 100%. there ya go... you can close the thread now...

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wiisel said:
rgb scart is compatible with an NTSC signal just depends if the telly's shit or not if it works or has nintendo blocked NTSC output via rgb then? i wouldnt know because i have component cables
tongue.gif

My results D2Ckey 3.2E wii.
IF its pal it boots no errors
IF its NTSC wii or GC it needs to be loaded through gecko very few NTSC games work through disc channel
002 with bleach vs crusade

Nintedo uses the cable/frequenzy/whatever used by rgb cables on a PAL Wii for something else on a NTSC Wii, if you get a picture in color with NTSC and rgb cable, your tv doesn't support rgb. I'm able to get video in color with NTSC and rgb cable when i play around with the tv settings, but the graphics are as bad as with the 2 cent cable which came with the Wii when i do it.

QUOTE(zidane_genome @ Dec 22 2008, 08:48 PM) NTSC Wii, NTSC HD LCD TV, a Yowii chip with Yaosm 3 flashed...

Compatibility, 100%. there ya go... you can close the thread now...

Ok, everybody now knows you have a good chip and all others with chips which aren't as good as yours are idiots.

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
by rgb you do mean scart yeah not red green blue rca that is component because i find that im not getting a progressive quality image with NTSC games on that.
have to agree the composite cable is by far the worse (yellow rca) im interested if this problem is on scart as Japan also have a variation of scart with Japan being NTSC it could be a case of getting a jap scart and swapping pins or is it a variation within the actual wii?

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wiisel said:
by rgb you do mean scart yeah not red green blue rca that is component because i find that im not getting a progressive quality image with NTSC games on that.
have to agree the composite cable is by far the worse (yellow rca) im interested if this problem is on scart as Japan also have a variation of scart with Japan being NTSC it could be a case of getting a jap scart and swapping pins or is it a variation within the actual wii?

The cable is called rgb cable and has a scart connector. It looks nearly the same as the crap cable, but the results are much better, oh and my tv displays RGB instead of AV when turning the tv on. I don't have either a hdtv or a component cable, so i can't say anything about this.

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
Story of my wiiwii, Had wii since the very first chip wiinja v2 came out, so dam ANCIENT now, never ever had a problem wit it* fitted myself, nice n safe, never have had a bad read error, never once had a bad burn the wii couldn't read, i only use Ritek G05 Ice...
Now playing, since 001 came into place, i was like WTF my wii wont play backups etc, new data since mario galaxy etc, so at that point in time i wasnt really playing the wii muych as i use to work nights and didn't have time, anyway, then i learnt to trucha sign, but i onloy ever done one game, and i was like FUCK THIS this is shit*
then i didnt touch the wii for months, then 3.3 must have been out, and i updated, COULDNT PLAY TRUCHA signed games from my brother, as he use to trucha his, SO i was thinking WHAT THE FUCKS AM I GOING TO DO? get a better chip or what? that supports 001? Erm no, my brother pointed me over to a forum, of the TP Hack etc, then i started from there TALKING ABOUT AUGUST, now ehre i am still..
I didn't have a clue about homebrew on the wii till august

Compatibility with my chip? no question full 100% (now the 002 fix has helped)

So how do i run backups is the qestion?

Only use GeckoOS, but NOW new 002 fix? hmm WTF hey i use Softchip or Gamma fix now
smile.gif
either choice.......
How do i play imports, through these loaders, do i FORCE anything?? NO, my T.V. supports NTSC, PAL
smile.gif
i actally didn't realise that till i swapped inputs lol, My imports were perfect, on RGB Cables, no difference if PAL or NTSC game
smile.gif

anyway thats the story of my wiis shitty life hehe
BUT NOW IT FEELS ALIVE AND KICKING!!!! hehe
wink.gif

Last question & answer to myself, am i happy with my chip and wii? DAM RIGHT, who cant be hapy when every game works spot on, no bad noises....nothing etc, true compat with loaders like gecko, gamma,softchip etc

So im very...happy with my wii, does everything and more i need it to*
smile.gif

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ill look into it because NTSC games give me a lower quality image over component my tv is NTSC compatible and its not a colour difference issue as contrast levels are fine. It could be possible that as scart can carry RGB svhs(s-video) and composite that NTSC games do not have RGB support and so the wii is dropping down from RGB to composite or svhs but that wouldnt explain why im getting lower quality over componant.

getting back on topic do all chips have the same multiregional capabilities would it not be better to have a compatability thread for each chip and also would video patching effect the results?

although i cant fault my D2Ckey i would swap it for a sexy wasp any day
smile.gif

one day ill do the LED in SD bay mod just to get the benefit of them

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)