[Mod?] Changing MH Gen's ugly font?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Verack, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Verack
    OP

Verack GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2010
    United States
    Short version: Can MH Gen's hideous font be changed out for the font used in the fan translation of MH X or a similar font?

Long version: Having just successfully transferred my MHX save to MHGen, the first thing I noticed was the absolutely terrible font. It's fuzzy, it's stretched and crushed, and it seems to use something like 5 different fonts depending on the line of text. I find it to be both hideous and unprofessional. The font that was used in the MHX fan translation on the other hand was very clear and easy to read. Would it be possible to create a patch for MHGen that changed its terrible font to something better such as the fan translation of MHX's?

2. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    well, I think all you have to do is to find the font of the fan trasnlation and replace with the ofical translation one

3. Verack
    OP

Verack GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2010
    United States
    If it's that simple, I could do it myself in a matter of moments. The font for the fan translation is stored in "romfs > system > font". I guess I'll go digging around in the EU ROM and see what I can find (and if it's as simple as a quick replacement).

4. justln

justln GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 16, 2013
    Unfortunately, I agree on the ugly font. You should probably contact @dasding to see the viability of a font patch.

5. Phemeto

Phemeto GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2016
    United States
    Oh good its not just me who thinks the font is really weird

6. dasding

dasding GBAtemp Regular

Oct 25, 2015
    Germany
    haha my exact thoughts :rofl2: i also really dislike the localized font.

I attached the font files of the translation patch. they need to be placed in the arcfs of the game under GUI/02_common/font/ (part of romfs/loc/arc/resident.arc).
    you can use my mhmodtools to extract and repack the arcfs (if you're python savy you can do it just for the respective arc instead of the full game).

I didn't test this yet, in case this doesn't work i would have to create a whole new font definition using only a single texture <.<

Attached Files:

• font.zip
      File size:
      610.2 KB
      Views:
    Sliter likes this.
  7. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    btw, comparision screens, someone? xD

8. dasding

dasding GBAtemp Regular

Oct 25, 2015
    Germany
    Sliter likes this.
  9. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
  10. justln

justln GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 16, 2013
    You forgot the item names, that's even worse. There's so much space yet they decide to squeeze everything as inhumanely as possible.