Gaming MMORPGs on DS

SlyGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
let's not forget the inability to patch the game, which is something that an MMORPG would have to do

Like I said before, Everquest Online adventures for the PS2 patched the game on only 4mb of space on the PS2 memory card. I'm sure a DS cart could be designed with 4mb of writable memory for this purpose. Most of the pertinent data is stored server-side anyways.

Dragonlord

Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
in general Wifi connections are simply not powerfull enough to handle anything near an MMORPG ( MMO means around 10K players ). if you get an FPS match ( FPS up to 16 players ) decent to play on a wifi con on the DS that's already hilarious so forget about anything MMO related at all. it's simply not feasible and workable.

Er..
I play many an mmorpg over my WiFi network in my house o.o

Its not the WiFi thats at fault, its the DS. I'm not sure how many packets a second the DS would be able to send/receive, but I'm thinking not enough to support large scale MMORPG's.

i don't talk about the CLIENT side but the SERVER side. and on a DS somebody has to make the server unless you hack the DS.
I'm sure Nintendo, or the developer, would be able to produce a server robust enough to handle the needs of its games.
that's true but the real problem is that ( as far as i know ) the DS is not meant to work over hotspots without beeing hacked. and i don't assume nintendo would like to provide something to force people to 'hack' their stuff.

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
that's true but the real problem is that ( as far as i know ) the DS is not meant to work over hotspots without beeing hacked. and i don't assume nintendo would like to provide something to force people to 'hack' their stuff.
Thats..not true at all. The DS can use any WiFi hotspot as long as its unprotected/protected with WEP, and doesnt use an html style login. It also has to be 802.11b, which most hotspots now-a-days are both 802.11b/g compliant.

Thats not the problem, the problem is finding and obtaining access to hotspots. Sure you can use the one in your house, but that ruins portability. You usually have to pay elsewhere for WiFi access, or at least buy something from the store (IE, Starbucks, McDonalds) in order to use the internet. The unavailability everywhere, and the price of WiFi hotspots kill this idea more than anything else.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://gbatemp.net/threads/ps5-m2sdd-quit-working-in-ps5.622567/page-2 guess I'm not the only...