MKV support.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Rivaplz, Apr 29, 2009.

Apr 29, 2009

MKV support. by Rivaplz at 3:26 AM (2,454 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. Rivaplz
    OP

Newcomer Rivaplz Member

United States
    I've used both the latest version of Media player CE, and Geexbox to try and play my MKV files, but both can't seem to play them smoothly, or at all. About 10 seconds into any MKV file they always begin to skip around and the picture and sound become completely distorted.

Is there any other media player for the wii that is a bit more solid? (I've noticed that both Media playerCE and Geexbox both crash more often than not no matter what type of file you're playing)

2. wiiman123

Member wiiman123 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

New Zealand

3. Rivaplz
    OP

Newcomer Rivaplz Member

United States
    They're not HD, that's why I don't understand why they're not playing propperly.

4. telekenetix

Newcomer telekenetix Member

United States
    I have used Geexbox, MPlayer Rodries, and MPlayer CE to play MKV files without a flaw.

I don't know what you're doing wrong...

They do tend to crash and skip randomly though.

5. wiiman123

Member wiiman123 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

New Zealand

6. cooldudechand

Member cooldudechand GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    i get skips to like after every minute.......

7. keyra

Member keyra Spoderman self proclamed fan

France
    720p ones ?

8. Fellipepb07

Member Fellipepb07 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have problems with rmvb!
    Yeah, here in Brazil we still use rmvb!

9. wiiNinja

Member wiiNinja GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It doesn't matter if it's HD or not. If the mkv was encoded with h264 at a high bit rate, and/or if the audio is encoded at very high bit rate, you're going to get performance hit. H264 codec is very processing intensive. You may want to re-encode to a lower bit rate (both audio and video) for the Wii.

10. jinxvorheeze

Member jinxvorheeze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Don't argue for the sake of arguing. Saying you play them without a flaw, then saying they crash and skip randomly makes you contradict yourself in the same post. If they crash and skip then they don't play without a flaw.

WiiNinja answered it the best. As mkv is a container file for multiple encoded files, it can become extremely processor intensive depending on the file types inside. Maybe at some point will it be fixed, but the best bet is to find out what type of video is encoded in them and then re-encode the mkv to that. You might have to extract and merge the proper audio track and subs as well. Not exactly a fun process for an entire collection of anime, but there aren't a ton of options.

11. Rivaplz
    OP

Newcomer Rivaplz Member

United States
    That program doesn't seem to support MKV yet, which is a bummer because it's hard to find a decent free converter. [​IMG]

12. wiiztec

Member wiiztec GBAtemp Fan

United States
    With MPlayer CE when you skip foward in the video the sound skips forward but the video stays behind it'll work properly if you pause before skipping ahead, MPlayer DVD lib edition skips forward through .mkv's perfectly it also has better .flv support but it doesn't support SDHC

13. vettacossx

Member vettacossx Wii Theme Team Founder

Ireland
    THIS IS AN UNOFFICIAL BUILD

and it ACTUALLY WORKS UNLIKE THE OFFICIAL ONES THIS WILL WORK WITH EVEN PARTITIONS OF AN EXTERNAL HDD!

I HAVE A WHOLE COLLECTION OF FUTURAMA MKV FILES I PLAY USING THIS HACKED UP BUILD [​IMG] [​IMG]

Formats Supported:

MPEG/VOB, AVI, Ogg/OGM, VIVO, ASF/WMA/WMV, QT/MOV/MP4, RealMedia, Matroska (mkv) popular for blu-ray rips, NUT, NuppelVideo, FLI, YUV4MPEG, FILM, RoQ, PVA files, supported by many native, XAnim, and Win32 DLL codecs. You can watch VideoCD, SVCD, DVD, 3ivx, DivX 3/4/5, WMV and even H.264 movies.

Install Info:

Simply place the apps,wad and geexbox folders included in the Zip archive on your SD cards root directory and then load wad manager intall GeeXbox.wad and launch the channel
    Note:
    (it may freeze up on the very first run of any given format its a common bug, but after its run that type of file at least one time it will remember and work perfectly as you can see )

Download:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?iynnmmo5j5n

14. Rivaplz
    OP

Newcomer Rivaplz Member

United States
    Hmm, that version of Geexbox is even more unstable than the official releases. It played my MKVs in super fast speed and some AVIs all jittery. Didn't work at all for me. So far the best program I've found for wii is Media Player CE, which of course wont play the MKVs I have. Thanks for the tip though.

15. vettacossx

Ireland
    sounds like you need to re-do those mkv files [​IMG] because i have over 50 that work fine [​IMG] try making them with another app or using different properties but to be honest its MUCH LESS PAINFUL to just convert the files to a better codec/format like AVI..ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ARE THAT BAD! lol

16. Rivaplz
    OP

Newcomer Rivaplz Member

United States

Not all MKVs are created equally of course... These ones play flawlessly on my PC and I will convert them to AVI if I don't find a better solution.

17. vettacossx

Ireland
    Yeah there prob HD mkvs bro [​IMG] the wii atm can play alot of MKV files but the real high def ones can be a pain in the ass.. They just play smoother in AVI it seems. [​IMG] The version of geexbox i posted is made specifically to increase external usb support but for the record i can play futurama seasons 1 and 2 in mkv with no skips at all so it may be worth lowering the properties or splitting the videos into parts... good luck though!