Minecraft problem

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by R4Liam, Feb 18, 2011.

Feb 18, 2011

Minecraft problem by R4Liam at 11:51 AM (2,917 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. R4Liam
    OP

Member R4Liam Artsy Dude

United Kingdom
    As some of you may know i recently managed to get my nvidia driver working properly on windows 7. However, when i try and play minecraft, it runs and puts me into the game but it is reaaallly laggy and i mean really. it's worse than black ops honestly!

but seriously, i opened the task manager to see what was up and i noticed that the physical memory was at 96% which is ridiculous but this is when i'm not playing minecraft, when i'm trying to play minecraft the memory goes up more! it most likely dangerous to have the memory so high isn't it? so what i'm asking is, is there a way of reducing the memory usage to play minecraft without the lag because on xp it was not laggy at all.

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    That's a common misunderstanding when it comes to Vista/7.

The problem lies elsewhere. Show us screenshots of the task manager when minecraft is running, both the Processes and Performance tabs.

3. Sausage Head

Banned Sausage Head Lord Sausage LXIX

Netherlands
    Close any unused applications; set priority to High and affinity to 1 if you have a multi-core processor.
    Press F3 in-game and tell what you see there.

4. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Kind of like saying "Is it dangerous to fill a box?". No, it's not dangerous.
    It might cause some issues (apps will need to use Virtual Memory -hard drive space, which is slower- or wait for another app to free up memory), but it's not dangerous.

5. R4Liam
    OP

Member R4Liam Artsy Dude

United Kingdom
    well i'll add that i recently installed this windows 7 over windows xp so maybe windows xp is still running stuff underneath? anyway here are screenshots of the task manager:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i know firefox is running but the system should be able to cope with one major program at least. maybe my computer cannot cope with windows 7 as an operating system--it may have only been built for xp?

6. Sausage Head

Banned Sausage Head Lord Sausage LXIX

Netherlands
    Are multiple accounts running? If so, leave only one opened.

7. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    it looks like you only have 512MB which it not good

and XP cant be running stuff underneath it as it has been removed

8. twiztidsinz

United States
    The problem is, your system only has (or only detects) 512MB RAM.

If you know the system has more than 512MB RAM I would look up how to replace the RAM on your laptop (You've got the battery bars, so I'm making a guess) and ensure that they're installed properly and didn't come loose.

If you only have 512MB, I'd look into buying a couple GBs -- I'd suggest 2~4, but a minimum of 1.
    Depending on how many slots you have/have available, you could possibly save the 512MB and fill the remaining slots with 1GB Sticks.

9. I am r4ymond

Member I am r4ymond PFE

United States
    I somewhat have a similar problem when playing the Beta version of Minecraft.

The last time I played the Beta version of Minecraft was a few months ago, and it was lagging more than I expected it to lag. Does Minecraft require a high-quality video card or what? All I have is an integrated graphics card, I think (NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430), 3GB of RAM, and an AMD Athlon Dual Core 4450e processor. Is is my computer or is it the Beta version's fault that Minecraft is lagging?

I'm running on Windows 7 Ultimate if that helps.

10. twiztidsinz

United States
    I think Minecraft needs a lot of video RAM.
    And a powerful GPU would help as it's rendering a lot of blocks.

11. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    gfx card is also a huge factor

poorly coded makes it a resource hog and requires high end stuff to run it properly

12. I am r4ymond

Member I am r4ymond PFE

United States
    Well, according to the System Information, the 'Adapter RAM' has 128 MB. I guess that's not enough.

13. Tomothy

Newcomer Tomothy Newbie

Canada
    Video cards don't matter much in minecraft. Minecraft mostly stresses the cpu and ram over anything else.

14. R4Liam
    OP

Member R4Liam Artsy Dude

United Kingdom
    It isn't a laptop (the bars on bottom right is the internet signal).

I'm sure my computer has more RAM than 500mb because it used to run minecraft and various other programs at the same time on xp prior to switching to windows 7 and ran fine.

Is there a way of identifying the RAM of my computer through a pragram to show you guys a screenshot?

15. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Right-click "computer" in the start menu and go to the properties.

16. Rafinesque

Member Rafinesque GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you install one Windows operating system over another for an upgrade, instead of formatting and installing clean, you can expect problems.

Also, 512 MB is not enough to run Windows 7. Not even close. Windows 7 needs 2 GB to run smoothly, and 4 GB if you want to run multiple programs, or have a lot of tabs open in a browser.

17. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    (accidentally erased what I was going to say, so here's a short summary)
    1. Get more RAM. You need way more RAM.
    2. Getting a better GPU won't help very much.
    3. Minecraft doesn't use multiple CPU cores.
    4. The Optimine mod does wonders. Try it. (on my PC, Minecraft was barely playable, but with the mod I get up to 130 FPS on lowest settings, and 40-60FPS on far/fancy)

5. If you have the time, build a tall tower of sand, stand on top, and look out. Set the view distance to Far, then hit F3. Wait until the chunk updates go to 0 (might take a while). Turn around, and wait for the chunk updates to stop again. Then go back down (you can press F3 again now). Switch your view distance back, and then play.
    What this does is allows the game to chunk update by itself, preventing it from chunk updating while you're playing (since they're the main reason for lag). This method is probably less effective with Optimine since Optimine already optimizes the chunk updates (but it still would probably help).

18. Rafinesque

Member Rafinesque GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Thanks for the tip on optimine. I haven't heard of that before your post (although I don't have too many performance problems with Minecraft)