Minecraft Apparently Under Siege

purechaos996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's stupid, Since I've bought minecraft I've at least had to update 3-4 times, granted I have no idea what was added but it was updated. And why would 4chan even support it? You think with all the raw power those guys have they would be busy trying to steal nuclear launch codes or something, instead of messing with minecraft.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
purechaos996 said:
It's stupid, Since I've bought minecraft I've at least had to update 3-4 times, granted I have no idea what was added but it was updated. And why would 4chan even support it? You think with all the raw power those guys have they would be busy trying to steal nuclear launch codes or something, instead of messing with minecraft.
Read again. 4chan isn't supporting it. 4chan has nothing to do with this, other than the common idea of DDoS'ing.

purechaos996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
injected11 said:
purechaos996 said:
Read again. 4chan isn't supporting it. 4chan has nothing to do with this, other than the common idea of DDoS'ing.

Ahhh sorry misunderstood it thanks for pointing that out.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Berthenk said:
What. The. Fuck. Notch started developing Minecraft while being part of a different "company", so he didn't expect that the game would sell anyway. Real job? No, just no. He made Minecraft his job after seeing that it sold well.

Irrelevant as soon as he asked for money for it. Part time or full time, main job or something to make a little extra, customers don't expect less. Trust me I know that from experience. But TBH I was more finding it funny people will give a commercial product a lot more leeway on quality, bug-fixes, and release dates than free hobbyist projects.

Also it's a bit cheeky still asking for donations while bragging about how well the business is progressing. Again I can't wait for Gabe Newell to try that. "Donate a pie and Episode 3 might happen".

Inunah

The Female Mistaken for a Male.
Banned
Trophies
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Do to these seige-creators like I do to zombies on Minecraft: Kill it with fire.
mellow.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
DeltaBurnt said:
Rydian said:
If they paid for promised updates they never got, then they have a right to feel cheated.lolwut?

You do realize Notch already has a huge update planned for Halloween, right? That isn't that far away. These DDOS'ers are just impatient babies.When did I ever say I agree with their actions or tactics?
tongue.gif

geoflcl said:
The word "alpha" alone should be enough of a hint that the game is still in its infancy.
Like the average person even knows what a beta actually is. They just think it means "sneak peak", like previews on DVDs.
tongue.gif
I run into people all the time that have issues with chrome that turn out to be because they're using a dev/testing channel and don't even know what the difference is between that and stable, they just thought it'd make them look cooler. Hell, I ran into one girl yesterday that installed the IE9 preview on a friend's computer and didn't know why it wasn't working right.

Programmers don't always realize that you need to communicate with your customer's in layman's terms because otherwise there's going to be misunderstandings.

QUOTE(cwstjdenobs @ Oct 22 2010, 11:06 AM)
But TBH I was more finding it funny people will give a commercial product a lot more leeway on quality, bug-fixes, and release dates than free hobbyist projects.
To the average douchebag kid on the internet a single man is a much easier target then an entire company.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, what a lot of people probably don't realize is Notch is looking forward to a large update in a week. Why keep releasing little things when you could just have one huge one.

I'm on the wagon that there's just a bunch of impatient twits believing they should get what they want because they're impatient twits.

On a large scale, but equally viable, it's akin to picketing a developer and stopping business because a single cult game isn't getting a sequel. Whining, only now whiners have anonymity and access to blunt rocks.

narutofan777

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
this is just funny, you got some little kids doin the dirty for more minecraft. i guess you always gotta listen to your fans or else they can be a shit load.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
i guess the addiction gets into the head... it is probable tht the whole reason for this is tht the game is addictive and the people's minds are full of ideas about what they wish to do but the fact tht they cannot do exactly tht frustrates them (obvious isnt it)

but the problem arises when they have to pay... as rydian (whose Critical Post Upgrade seems to work very well) said, tht would be justifiable but if u read this it doesnt mention so but tht he would do as much as he can

what surprised me most was tht the game has 1.4 million players (assuming everyone who registered has "got" the game one way or another like me) with 1300+ servers is possibly reaching the levels of a very long running MMORPG ie. runescape which has 10 million ACTIVE users and warcraft with around 11m... so maybe when minecraft will be fully developed and possibly open source (as the author predicts), it may reach tht amount of active players

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nintendude92 said:
That's why I didn't buy it yet, it's in Alpha. Waiting for a polished game before even considering it.
It's still loads of fun in Alpha and it's supposed to be half price too. What I don't get is why they're demanding updates when there's supposed to be a Halloween one. It's not like Notch has even disappeared for a month. Pretty sure someone was just doing it for the hell of it and nothing else. And seeing some of you somewhat defending the attackers or reasoning why the attacks are justifiable is just disgusting. I now see the type of people that would do these attacks (although I still believe it's just some guy(s) doing it for fun).

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Rydian said:
If they paid for promised updates they never got, then they have a right to feel cheated.
They are pissed off because Notch had to delay a major update due to complications and some bugs. Whether people think it's fair or not for someone to delay an update because they happened to pay for it doesn't make what they did to be right. In fact, I am pretty sure it's within the developers rights to withhold an update if it means a clean bug free release that has all the content working properly. At least Notch has done one thing even an established company like Blizzard can't seem to get right, and that is not release updates until they are ready because the latest content patch for WoW is still buggy a few weeks after release.

I'd say take the time to make sure things are working, it's one guy working around the clock to constantly update and make his game better, though I am sure if he gets some help things will go quicker but until then people need to be patient and not get butt hurt and angry when an update is delayed.

alejolink11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Minecraft would be so cool as a DS homebrew!

| X
-- -- or Y A to move.
| B

Stylus to rotate view.

L/R to build and destroyand main interact buton.

Ahh i played alpha when the game was down and u could play for free. Now im
waiting for the real realease o not waste money.

alejolink11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
alejolink11 said:
Did you not read the thread? When the full game comes out the price will increase.

But if you buy alpha dont you have to buy the game again when the final release comes out?

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
alejolink11 said:
Rydian said:
alejolink11 said:
Did you not read the thread? When the full game comes out the price will increase.

But if you buy alpha dont you have to buy the game again when the final release comes out?
No, it's a one time purchase. In fact, Notch even promised that everyone who bought it during alpha would get possible future paid content/expansions/game modes for free.

alejolink11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Minox_IX said:
alejolink11 said:
Rydian said:
alejolink11 said:

No, it's a one time purchase. In fact, Notch even promised that everyone who bought it during alpha would get possible future paid content/expansions/game modes for free.

Oh allright. Might consider buying it then. ;D

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been having fun just digging up stuff and making new skins.
You can see my skins at http://www.minecraftskins.com/ just search 1w2.

Its a darn fun game and rather good even though its still in alpha stages.
The attacks seem pointless and could only draw more attention to the game and up sales.
So kind of an irony of sorts there.

After the free weekend and finding out that I could run the game finally (tried an early version back when, ran dead slow) I rushed over and bought the game.
So far I've found the updates to be frequent enough.
It's actually nice service to actually get updates, most companies just forget and move on to the next game.
All the reason to love indie stuff more.

Can't wait for the Halloween update, gonna be awesome.
Gonna hate loosing infinite lasting torches though. Wish it had a version rollback feature. xD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended