Suggestion Mine Bitcoins w/ Switch?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by PuNKeMoN, May 31, 2018.

1. I_doTinySoldering

I_doTinySoldering Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2018
    United States
    First, Bitcoin is resistant to GPU mining. I assume you're referencing some other cheaper currency that people use to buy drugs and hookers?

Second, using the GPU in the Switch to mine would be like digging the Panama Canal with a spoon.

Third, the one word answer should still be in the thread. It was accurate and appropriate.

2. xaliax

xaliax Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2010
    Honestly, that was the best answer youve had so far. Just no.

3. Risingdawn

Risingdawn Tempallica

May 22, 2010
    United Kingdom
    I feel so old whenever someone starts to talk about bit-coin.

I finally understand how my father felt when I tried to explain how to set the VHS timer to record match of the day.

LoganK93 and Ev1lbl0w like this.
  4. TheFatassOfKicka

TheFatassOfKicka Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2011
    United States
    It's the response you deserved, you know. You couldn't or wouldn't watch a two minute YouTube video for contexts sake, so that you'd know how bitcoin even worked before you asked the question. Instead, you expected a detailed explanation spoon-fed to you, one which you are not entitled to. And the cherry on top is how this question of yours doesn't even warrant a detailed explanation to begin with, because it takes the -bare minimum- understanding of how bitcoin mining works to know that you'd never want to use your Switch to mine btc.

It's been almost a decade since I posted on this website. Back in those days, choosing to hold the expectation that people would just take their time to carefully explain shit that you could easily learn yourself with very little effort was frowned upon here.

Last edited by TheFatassOfKicka, May 31, 2018
    Cybernatus, xaliax, normal19 and 2 others like this.
  5. PuNKeMoN
    OP

PuNKeMoN GBAtemp Regular

May 3, 2018
    United States
    The darkest depths of my mind
    I can't watch a video while I'm at work. Somebody would know I'm not doing what I'm supposed to be doing. Sure, I could read about OTHER RIGS but my question was about the console discussed in this section of the forum, and there wasn't already a topic so I asked.
    And what is wrong with asking for information on a topic you don't know or are interested in?

Am I entitled to a detailed answer? No. But a detailed answer is helpful. And the point of a community is to help each other.
    Am I entitled to a condescending rant stating how someone decided to finally post after a decade just to be a dick? Again, no. But thanks for your excellent contribution.

Last edited by PuNKeMoN, May 31, 2018
  6. Mining any crypto coin on Switch will not be profitable and even if it was the Switch is far to weak to get anything worthy of your time.

A underclocked TX1 would have worse performance than a cheap low end 1030, and even that is not going to give you much.

Mining requires a powerful energy effifient system, and when purchasing you need to think raw power / cost. In terms of that the Switch is a terrible deal.

If you want to get into crypto mining you need to invest in a dedicated mining rig or blow thoasands on a few 1080s, the profits are not what they used to be.

I would rather take that money and trade it on Binance tbh, the crash is just starting to recover so it is a good time to invest.

Have made a few hundred bucks from it, but only invest what you can loose.

Last edited May 31, 2018
  7. Red1Reaper

Red1Reaper Asperger Dude

GBAtemp Patron
    Red1Reaper is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 5, 2017
    Spain
    Valencia, Rafelbuñol
    Simply: Not, doing it you are going to wate electricity and switch life, even if you get something, the waster electricity doing it whould be greater.
    If you want good bitcoins, you need a energy efficient dedicated system to do it

8. evanm18

evanm18 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 20, 2007
    United States
    Bitcoin specifically no but potentially mining other cryptos sure it could potentially be done most other cryptos dont require the same hardware requirements. having said that you are better off just mining those cryptos on a dedicated device it will be much more profitable using a device designed to handle that task. that being said it wouldnt be a bad idea for some malicious homebrewer to include some code that uses hundreds or thousands of switches to do the mining for the developer because even if the switch can only make chump change eventually with enough people unknowingly using your software chump change x 1000 = stacks on stacks of cash baby

9. Sure you could make a network of Switches, but the amount of people that would download the malicious app, and somehow have it running in the background without noticing battery drain and decreased performance would be close to none.

I would rather do that in a Homebrew tool (fusse launcher , tegrarcmsmash etc.) That would give you access to much more hardware and would be easy to hide.

Last edited May 31, 2018
  10. tivanh

tivanh GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    Not unless your going to write optimized drivers and patch the matching operating system to run on the switch.

For the price of a switch as a mining rig you'd get a dozen used ps3's. A system which today can be easily chained into 'supercomputer' status for algorithm computation.

11. mowsie
    This message by mowsie has been removed from public view by Sicklyboy, Jun 1, 2018, Reason: Unnecessarily rude.
    May 31, 2018
  12. zeveroth

zeveroth GBAtemp Regular

Jul 16, 2009
    United States
    Absolutely no way in hell you are going to mine BTC with a switc. The equipment to mine bitcoin is extremely expensive .about 9 years ago, maybe, not today. Sorry buddy. You have a better chance of mining Bytecoin and possibly making a buck off it in a year.

13. mowsie
    This message by mowsie has been removed from public view by Sicklyboy, Jun 1, 2018, Reason: Unnecessarily rude.
    May 31, 2018
  14. tivanh

tivanh GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    Look, at the end of the day. There is no money to be made from mining anymore.

Unless you've got unlimited free electricity and used penetration testing software to access unlimited free internet. Even then the statistics for hardware requirements to profit, before hardware failure are not good.

Bitcoin was so yesterday for profit.
    Blockchain is great and will be used in secure ledgers worldwide, but will not be the next great fiat currency scam as bitcoin tried to be.

15. GilgameshArcher

GilgameshArcher GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 1, 2012
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    Fixed;)

16. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker News Police

Banned
    Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Mining bitcoin with a Switch is like trying to swim a waterfall up. At the end of the day, you are exhausted and wonder why the distance between you and the waterfall has increased.

Quantumcat and gnmmarechal like this.
  17. I agree with your point, but calm down lol

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Mining does not require much bandwidth at all and since when was there data caps on wifi lol

You can't just hack more speed it is limited by your local infrastructure. You can't turn a copper wire into a fiberoptic cable with hax. (Computers are not magic, and neither are hackers even the Reswitches wizards)

Last edited May 31, 2018
  18. tivanh

tivanh GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    :ha:What are you doing here?

Are we short on threads with people discussing piracy for you and your socks to attack.....

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I mean, educate.....

19. Tekniquez

Tekniquez GBAtemp Regular

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    You didnt even bother to research the hardware needed to be capable of mining and think the switch can. Short and simple its going to be a no it wont ever mine anything itll be dead before you get 1 coin.

20. My socks are in the washer, I can't attack pirates with bare feet...

21. I_like_hacks

I_like_hacks Newbie

Newcomer
    May 31, 2018
    Austria
    of course. if the switch can run linux you can mine bitcoins with it, but this is a bad idea.

let me explain the problem: basically mining is doing a lot of calculations. therefore your switch would not be in sleep mode during mining. you would run your switch at full speed causing a lot of heat which causes aging. would you chose to do the mining at like 50% performance to keep the heat down, your gains in bitcoin will go down too. as the mining performance will be bad overall, doing it only at 50% means you probably pay more for the power than you gain from bitcoins.

the system was just not made for it.

22. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Maniac

May 10, 2009
    Australia
    in a cardboard box
    I'd rather see someone mine on the Switch or make it capable to mine. I'm sure it'll be newsworthy. Most of us know it won't be efficient nor profitable but for the frontpage news, lols, memes, etc. It'll be worth it. I remember there was a Samsung Galaxy phone, I believe it was the S5, they made capable of mining bitcoins. Let them do what they want on their consoles, watch it burn, destroyed, bricked or whatever. I'm sure they'll be crying and come back to the forums and whine about it. Another newsworthy IMO. :rofl2:

DarthDub and Red1Reaper like this.